UMROI News Updates
Phone Etiquette for University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopedic Institute
Joint Commission Readiness
- Dwell time, or the amount of time a surface must stay wet with oxivir to kill the germs is ONE MINUTE. No more and no less.
PRIVACY - HIPAA
- Please pay close attention to patient privacy. Hold patient conversations quietly in the therapy gyms. Also be aware of conversations with patients in rooms if the roommate is there. Keep voices down.
- Keep all charts, flow sheets, and anything with pt info on it face down at all times if it is out in the gym or public areas
- Keep privacy screens on computers in gym areas We are getting protectors for the computers by the schedule boards. Be aware of your wow screens if you are leaving patient information unattended.
- No conversations about patients in lobby, elevator, hallways or patient areas between staff (if necessary to care please conduct quietly between staff)
- A patient's preferred language is the language in which they PREFER to hold health related conversations. This is found in the banner, asked by admitting. We should not use family and friends as interpreters. You must use a health care interpreter. They are available via our telephonic translation services. We must report the preferred language in our initial evaluation (hospital) and insure it is completed on our medical history form (offsite)
The service is called OPTIMAL @ 877-746-4674.
Call and indicate language you need.
Abuse and Neglect:
- We screen every patient for abuse and neglect. You should know that there is a screen completed by nursing on admission. You should notice patients who are very unkempt or very thin and patients with bruising or a history of many injuries. Note if patients flinch if you move quickly toward them. If a patient checks yes on the abuse and neglect questions at the offsite you are obligated to follow up. I am attaching the policy. If we find signs and symptoms of abuse and neglect on our objective screen (hospital or offsite), we are obligated to ask the patient if they are being abused or neglected or if they need help. You will need to be able to speak to this if a Joint Commission Surveyor asks you.
- Please know where the closest fire extinguisher is to your treatment areas
- In case of fire we evacuate horizontally into the next smoke compartment (if the compartment you are in is the one on fire). See me if you do not understand about smoke compartments.
- We evacuate vertically and outdoors only if instructed (which would be if horizontal evacuation fails.
- Please be familiar with RACE and PASS acronyms.
Monday, April 7th, 5-6:30pm
2200 Kernan Dr
April - June, 2014
University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute and Forest Park Golf Course will be hosting golf clinics for individuals with physical disabilities in the Baltimore Metro community.Read more at link below:
Amputee Walking School
Saturday, May 31st, 9:30am-4:30pm
2901 Liberty Heights Ave
Read more at link below: