The Central Scoop
October 16, 2020
From the Principal's Desk...
Please join us for Unity Day this Wednesday, Oct 21st. Everyone is encouraged to wear and share orange on this day to show that we are together against bullying, and united for kindness, acceptance, and inclusion. Teachers will be supporting this effort with discussions in the classroom centered around kindness.
With Warm Regards,
~ Becky & Taylor
Recognizing our students for the wonderful contributions they offer to our Central School community is important to us. They are warriors of this time and champions of adapting to the changes that have confronted them this year. As a staff we have worked hard to find ways to recognize our students. We are excited to announce that this year our First Class Central Tickets will adapt as a celebration for all District 39 elementary students called.... Wilmette Warriors!
In an effort to recognize our outstanding students, each classroom teacher will identify a student from their class for a weekly special recognition. This student will receive a certificate and recognition through a short celebration video that will be shared on Friday afternoons.
Our first Wilmette Warrior school-wide assembly will be held virtually on Friday, November 6th at 1:30 pm. We are looking forward to celebrating our students and our community here at Central during this pep assembly.
Fox Fitness Fanatics Club
Due to the COVID-19 safety protocols that have been instituted for our outdoor recess time, our very popular, optional 1st-4th grade recess fitness club known as Mileage Club is being temporarily placed on hold. But fear not, we have a new Fox Fitness Fanatics club that started on October 8, 2020! This new program can be done inside or outside of your home. This club is NOT mileage based, but TIME based. If your child chooses to participate in this new club, they will be able to count any type of physical activity that they participate in. Dance class, soccer practice, family walks, etc. The new Fox Fitness Fanatics club will be open to all kindergarten through 4th grade Central students. All Central students received a 1/4 sheet of paper last week with their log-in information. I have recently discovered that you must log-in via a desktop, laptop or tablet. This program does not currently work on cell phone devices. The student’s activity time can be entered directly into Stride Tracks student portal.
To help motivate students to be active, and because of the continuing support from the Central PTA of our original Mileage Club, I will be able to issue certificates and a token for various activity time levels completed. These activity levels will be every 500 minutes. We already have 2 individuals who have completed over 500 minutes of activity. See the graph below to see how active Central School has been this first week of the Fox Fitness Fanatics Club. I will have updated information in Mrs. Littmann's Friday Scoop each week. Any activity minutes entered after 6p.m. on Thursday will be included the following week.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Peth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just Keep Moving!
NEW Virtual Parade Information!
- We are planning a virtual parade this year! In order to do this, we are asking all families to take a picture of your children in their costumes and share it with us by 10/28.
Please submit your Halloween pictures by clicking on this link to upload. You must be logged into a Google account to access this form. You can login with your child's school email address (this was emailed home earlier this year) or you can use a personal Google account. If, for some reason, you cannot access the form you can email your photo to Lauren Wysocke at email@example.com. Photos are due by Oct. 28th at 3:30 PM in order to make it into our virtual Halloween parade.
- Costumes are OK to wear to school for the duration of the half-day. Costumes should be developmentally appropriate and not be too scary for our young students. And as every year, no weapons or violence allowed.
- Children must wear a regular face mask as suggested by the CDC and IDPH, and not a costume-type mask. Please consider this need when selecting costumes for your children.
- Room parents can drop off crafts at each school for distribution to both our in-person and remote students. Room parents can either make videos of themselves doing the crafts, or they can join a party via Zoom to show the students how to use the materials or how to play a game. Classroom teachers can begin planning the party with their room parents to determine the details.
Monthly Birthday Bash with the Principals
Our first celebration will take place on Thursday, Oct. 29th at 3pm and include birthdays from both September and October. Students can simply join our zoom party if they like - this is completely optional, but we hope you can join us during your birthday month!
Here is the Zoom link:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 864 2424 5957
Information for Remote Learners
- When learning remotely this year, it’s important children maintain good posture. Here is a . an article about Healthy Home Study Tips for E-Learning from physical therapists that provide ideal sitting positions for learning activities.
- As parents we often want to step-in and help our children as they are learning. This is especially hard as parents watch children struggle while learning at home. But as students are learning at home and online, it's important to do just that! The process of learning involves struggling. Please allow your child to struggle, take risks, and make mistakes. Teachers will help to guide them. We appreciate your partnership when learning remotely.
- Please make sure your children bring the self-certification form to school every morning. They won't be allowed into the building without it. Extra copies of the form are no longer available at the doors. Students must see the nurse on the blacktop when forms are forgotten or incomplete.
- According to CDC and IDPH guidance, neck gaiters and face masks with vents are not acceptable face coverings for school.
- Please WASH masks daily and have students bring a few to school each day.
- Boxed lunches are available to order each day at Central. Milk can be purchased for $0.35 with our without boxed lunch orders.
- Learn about our lunch program HERE.
- The lunch menu can be found HERE.
You can begin to sign-up for conferences Monday, October 26th and the system will stay open until 11:59pm on Monday, November 9th. You should receive an email from District 39 with specific sign-up information on Friday October 23rd.
Conferences take place on Thursday, November 12th and Friday, November 13th. Conferences will be 20-minutes long and on Zoom this year. Please know that conferences cannot be scheduled outside of the D39 designated conference times so please do not ask the teachers to make any exceptions. We appreciate your understanding and support to maintain the designated dates/times for conferences.
Stuart Rogers will be emailing families a digital proof in about two weeks and you will be able to order online. If you missed it, retake day is scheduled for November 5th (11/6 as the rain date).
D39 Walk Against Hate
The 5-8 campus is walking against hate this weekend! We are taking a stand against hate by participating in the virtual 2020 ADL Walk Against Hate All D39 families are welcome to join our team (D39 5-8 Walk Against Hate), to show how the Wilmette community is united in standing up to hate in any form. No fundraising is required! The virtual walk is 3.6 miles, and on the flyer you will see some routes that are around 3.6 miles. You don’t have to walk the full 3.6 miles… and regardless of how far you walk, we are asking all walkers to send pictures of yourselves walking to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share them with our partners at ADL. Additionally, if you pass by the path along HMS on Sunday morning between 10-12, we will be in the parking lot cheering you on.
If you would like to support the team, but are unable to walk, you can still join and find a creative way to show you are standing up against hate. Families can create posters, or send pictures of signs they have up in their neighborhood, or anything to show how you are making a difference in this effort. We are almost up to 50 team members, and are hoping to reach 100 by Sunday! THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND FOR MAKING WILMETTE A GREAT PLACE FOR ALL OF US!
Fall MAP Reports
Construction Update for Central Avenue 10/16/20
PTA Announcements and Reminders...
* The PTA sends out their own newsletter on Sundays, here are a few highlights:
Take -Out and Delivery Fundraiser at Corner Bakery
Saturday October 24th, 2020
3232 Lake Ave Ste300
Wilmette, IL 60091
You can participate in this fundraiser by:
- Take out
- Pick up
Corner Bakery Cafe will accept your order in several ways:
- Phone Call
- Restaurant Website
- Storefront Walk-in
PTA Membership and A to Z Directory
This year, the Central PTA continues to offer the online directory through the AtoZ Directory App. To sign up for AtoZ, you must click the link in the email you received from email@example.com. If you did not receive an email, please contact the Directory Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Trier Township sponsors Medicare Part D Open Enrollment Forum on October 22nd from 1:00-2:30 pm via Zoom link or telephone. See flyer for details.
- Covid Catch Up Tutors offers free virtual tutoring by qualified high school students for Pre-K through High School grade levels.
- Wilmette Historical Museum presents a free family fun activity, "Wilmette History Mystery". Track down Wilmette historical clues to solve the mystery!
- 2020 Virtual Junior Ramblerettes Clinic will be held November 3rd & 4th for interested 1st - 5th graders. Participation is free.
- Cub Scouts Pack 1 Welcomes all McKenzie students! Contact email@example.com to sign up
- Scout Troop 2 is hosting a virtual Open House for all boys & girls in 5th - 10th grades on Tuesday, October 20th at 7:30 pm. See flyer for details.
- Girl Scouts host Virtual Ice Cream Science Event for all D39 girls on Thursday, October 29th at 6:30 pm.
- The Center for the Gifted offers "New Fall Wonders Programs" for K-12th grades. They are also offering “Remote Learning Enrichment” where students can work remotely with supervision & have a safe place to do homework. Masks & social distancing enforced. Class sizes are a maximum of 10 children.
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
From the Nurse's Office
Call Central School "Attendance Line" For Absences: 847-512-6150
Central Health Office Website!!
Here is your go-to site for all of your health related questions including PE/Recess Notes, Health Requirements, Dental Examinations, Allergy and Asthma, Medications, Snacks in Classrooms, Lice, Influenza...and more!
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.
Save the Dates...
10/18 - Walk Against Hate
10/20 - Parent Education Event: Whole Brain Child Approach: Strategies for Effective Parenting During Highly Emotional Times
10/21 - Unity Day (wear Orange!)
10/28 - Parent Education Event: How to Support Your Child's Physical Health in a Digital World: A Panel Discussion
10/30 - Halloween Celebrations & Early Release (Grades 1-4 dismissed at 11:55, AM kindergarten students dismissed at 10:00)
11/3 - No School, Election Day
11/5 - Picture Retakes (11/6 - retake rain date)
11/12-11/13 - Parent-Teacher Conferences