SMCPS Update September 8

Weekly Update for St. Mary's County Public Schools Families

Updates for the St. Mary's County Public Schools Community

September 8, 2020

Moving Forward

We are so glad to have our students back, and our teachers have begun making connections with their students this week. During the first week, about 90% of our students connected with their teachers and classrooms in the Schoology platform and had interactive sessions using Google Meet. We are working diligently to connect the remaining 10%. Schools will continue to distribute materials, including technology, to students who do not have a device. Please be sure to contact your school directly if you do not have access to a device.

SMCPS Recovery and Return to School Plan

Last week, we shared important information in our Town Hall meeting about next steps in our Fall 2020 Safe Return to School Plan. Over the last several months, we have provided ongoing communication about the SMCPS Recovery Plan for bringing our students back into our schools for in-person instruction.


As part of this process of returning to a hybrid learning instructional model, families will be provided a choice to attend school in the hybrid model or to continue with solely online learning. Families will be asked to commit to these choices for each marking period. Online learning will continue on the Schoology platform and parents forgoing in-person instruction will be responsible for progress through the platform material Monday through Thursday and provided interactive time with instructors on Fridays to check progress and review work completed. Additionally, families will be asked to confirm their transportation plans - either transporting students on their own or using SMCPS bus transportation. Over the next two weeks, schools will be in direct contact with you to ask for this important information. Please be sure to check your emails and listen for call outs from your school.


Additional information about this process is posted on our website. Be sure to visit the Recovery Plan Site and the Community Engagement section, where all letters, Town Hall videos, and Board presentations related to Recovery are posted.

Town Hall Meeting - Back to School

Student Handbooks

The SMCPS Student Handbook and Code of Conduct are posted online for your review. Students were presented information through their online instructional modules this week.

Meal Services

Key Information about meal services this fall:

  • Meals will be offered at all SMCPS locations (except FLA II) for pick-up during the hours of 11:00AM- 1:00PM. Two day’s worth of meals (breakfast and lunch) can be picked up on Monday and Wednesday and one day of meals on Friday.
  • Meals are only for enrolled SMCPS students. No cash is accepted on site. Reduced and Paid students should have funds available utilizing MySchoolBucks https://www.myschoolbucks.com
  • Meals will be charged at the free, reduced, and paid rates under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program. A new application is required each year. Please apply at https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
  • Parents/Guardians must present their children’s student ID# for same day pick-up if the student is not with them and may pick-up for all children in the family at one location, even if that is not the home-school of all the children.
  • View this video for more information

To order meals online watch this video for information

Back to School 2020 - How to use the Nutrislice App