BJH Bobcat News
September 11-15, 2023
Our School Site Council Team is Complete! Thanks to teachers, classified staff, and parents for taking time out to submit nominations and to vote. Please see the flyer below for the list of 2023-24 School Site Council Members.
In other news, as you know, the September Coffee with the Principal meeting was cancelled because I was not feeling well and took a few days off work. Thank you for all the emails and positive thoughts for a speedy recovery. I am feeling much better. The rescheduled Coffee with the Principal will be from 5:00-5:50 p.m. on Monday, September 18th. Parents can attend in person in the school library or online via the zoom link. This is the same night as the PTA meeting so feel free to join that meeting after Coffee with the Principal. Hope to see you in person or online.
Meeting ID: 609 987 1458 Passcode: pEy99Y
Here are some important events this week:
SEPTEMBER 11TH: RED, WHITE AND BLUE DAY
- In observance of September 11th, staff and students are invited to wear something patriotic such as the colors red, white and/or blue. Although our students were not alive on this tragic day in American history, it is important that we share with them. We all remember that day, what we were doing, how it made us feel to hear that our country was attacked. For so many, that day is etched into our memories, It is pertinent to share the tragic event but equally important to share our strength as a nation and how we worked together and supported each other during this time and the days after. America is strong, even in the face of tragedy. On this day, we remember those who lost their lives and those who survived. We will forever be grateful for the men and women, the first responders who risked their lives on that day, September 11, 2001.
- Every Wednesday is Late Start. School starts at 8:30 on Wednesdays.
SCHOOL SPIRIT DAY
- Thursday is school spirit day
- students and staff are encouraged to wear space themed attire or glow in the dark clothing
- Cost is $5, on sale this week.
- ASB stickers will give students discounts to campus activities and special treats throughout the year.
- Thursday, September 14th in the school cafeteria from 3:00-5:00.
- Tickets are $10 each and sales start on Monday, September 11, 2023
- Theme: Space/ Glow in the Dark
- Dance floor expectations are as follows (Dance safely and keep self to self. Mosh pits, slamming into one another, running, jumping around or lying on the dance floor is prohibited. In addition, public displays of affection are not appropriate.)
- School dress code applies. Students not in dress code will be asked to call home for a change of clothes before being admitted into the dance.
- No gum permitted
- Light snacks provided
- Once they enter the dance they may not leave the dance area without being checked out by a parent/guardian.
- At 5:00 p.m all students will be released to a parent/guardian. I highly suggest that you make arrangements for your child to be picked up. Those students directed to walk home after the dance by their parents will be asked to immediately walk home at the conclusion of the dance. We look forward to a fun welcome back dance.
*The BJH staff look forward to a fun dance with our students. Remember that these expectations are put in place to ensure the safety and age-appropriate interaction of junior high school students. Thank you in advance for supporting the school dance expectations.
AVID TAILGATE @ BOHS FOOTBALL GAME
- Our 7th and 8th grade AVID students are invited to participate in an AVID Tailgate party before the BOHS football game this Friday.
- All BJH AVID students need to wear their new, 2023 designed AVID t-shirts to this event. The t-shirt will identify you as an AVID student who gets free admission.
- AVID students get in for free.
- See the flyers below for tailgate and general game information
- Parents and non AVID students, your phone is your ticket. Scan the QR code on the flyer below to purchase tickets.
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH
- September 15- October 15 is Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Each week of Hispanic Heritage Month, ASB will spotlight five individuals who have made an impact on our world.
- Verbal spotlights of persons with Hispanic Heritage will be highlighted during the morning announcements.
- There will be phots on posters with information about each person. These posters will adorn University Drive.
BJH 8th GRADE WASHINGTON D.C. TRIP
It's never too early to start thinking about the annual 8th grade Washington DC trip. This trip is a non-district sponsored 5-day trip through Explore America. Mary Robbins, Washington DC Group Leader, will hold one or more meetings throughout the school year regarding this opportunity. If interested, please scan the QR code below to register and find out more information. Future weekly newsletters will inform you of in person or virtual informational meetings. Here is a link to the same information below https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ORwWvU4VvhWK7IMSFBfLSdVW3jPIig0O/view?usp=sharing
PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION (PTA)
- The Brea Junior High School PTA is having open enrollment for PTA. Please support BJH by joining the PTA. Click HERE to join. Homeroom classes with the highest percentage of membership by October 6th will receive a donut party.
- The first PTA meeting will take place on Monday, September 18, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. in room E-30. Your voice matters!
4TH QUARTER PRINCIPAL LIST & HONOR ROLL LISTS (SPRING 2023)
Have a fantastic week!
JOIN THE CELEBRATION: HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH!
UPCOMING CALENDAR EVENTS (WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 18-22)
Coffee with the Principal (Library or Zoom Link)
Meeting ID: 609 987 1458 Passcode: pEy99Y
Monday, Sep 18, 2023, 05:00 PM
PTA Meeting (Room E-30)
Monday, Sep 18, 2023, 06:00 PM
Wednesday, Sep 20, 2023, 08:30 AM
Location: 400 N Brea Blvd, Brea, CA 92821
Phone: (714) 990-7500