Welcome to Kindergarten!
2020-21 Castleton Elementary School
Newsletter #2, August 10, 2020
A Note from Mr. Derby and Mrs. Rosher...
Dear Kindergarten Parents,
We hope you are having a safe, healthy and FUN summer! We have been hard at work planning for our return to school in the fall. Please know that our top priority is the health and safety of our students, faculty/staff and our community. Schodack CSD has submitted and posted our reopening plan to the NYS Department of Education, as well as on our website. Click here to read the plan and updates
As stated in our plan, kindergarten families will have the option of daily full day, in-person learning or remote-only instruction. Once you have had a chance to review the plan, please fill out this survey to state your intention to either attend in-person instruction or elect for remote-only instruction. We are also collecting information regarding transportation needs in this survey. We appreciate the time you take to complete this survey as it is a critical component needed for us to effectively plan for September.
Finally, please continue reading this newsletter to:
- Sign-up for an in-person kindergarten screening for your child on August 18-19
- View the kindergarten school supply list
- Learn more about staying connected to SCSD News
- Watch some great welcome videos from our special area and support teachers
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at 518-732-7755.
Mr. Derby, Principal
Mrs. Rosher, Assistant Principal
Kindergarten Screening Aug. 18-19, 2020
On August 18 and 19 we will conduct incoming kindergarten screenings. Each screening will last about 20 minutes. Parents/Guardians will be able to sit right outside the room while the teacher works with your child. You will get a chance to meet one of our kindergarten teachers, who will engage your child in a variety of activities, such as naming letters, counting, cutting on a line, etc. We use this one-on-one time not only to gauge academic skills but to observe your child’s listening and communication skills, as well. This screening will give our teachers a snapshot of your child’s strengths, areas of need and will help us to build balanced classrooms.
Other important information:
- We ask that just one adult accompany the child being screened.
- When you arrive at the school, please push the intercom button at the front doors to be let into the vestibule. There you will be checked in and scanned into our system with your license.
- You and your child will need to wear a face mask and go through our standard health screening, which includes a forehead temperature check and questionnaire.
- If you still have forms to turn in, including physical forms and immunization records, please bring these with you.
- Unfortunately we will not be able to give building tours during this time.
Stay Connected with the Latest CES and SCSD News and Information...
Contact Us at Castleton Elementary School
1477 South Schodack Road
Castleton-on-Hudson, NY 12033