2020-2021 May 8, 2021
From The Principal
Thank you for your kind recognition of staff appreciation week. Your teachers felt the love from parents and students. We are incredibly blessed by your support each and every day.
We look forward to our in-person students showing how much they have grown academically over this school year as they take the STAAR test this week. Reminders were sent out mid-week and you can find the same information below.
Our virtual students join us on campus the following week for their STAAR tests. Again, showcasing how hard they have worked throughout the school year.
Final update on our coin fundraiser for senior scholarships... EIGHT (8!!) $1000.00 scholarships have been awarded to former Collins Cobras. Our students will meet the recipients during a special KCOL broadcast on May 21st as our former Collins Cobras "Soon-To-Be" graduates participate in their "Senior Walk" at Collins.
Monday, May 10th
- PTO Zoom Meeting 1:15 pm
Tuesday, May 11th
- STAAR Testing 5th/6th Math
Wednesday, May 12th
- STAAR Testing 5th/6th Reading
- School Nurse Appreciation Day
Thursday, May 13th
- STAAR Testing 5th Science
- Spring Band Concert - 5th Grade - 6:00 and 7:00 PM McCullough Jr. High School
Friday, May 14th
- STAAR Testing - Make-Up Test Day
- All Library Books Due
Monday, May 17th
- 5th Grade Remote Learners STAAR Testing Math
- 5th Grade Remote Learners STAAR Testing Reading
- 6th Science Benchmark
- 5th Grade Colossal Cobra Awards @ Lunch
- Spring Band Concert - 6th Grade - 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM College Park High School
Wednesday, May 19th
- 5th Grade Remote Learners STAAR Testing Science
- 5th Social Studies District Assessment #4
- 6th Grade Colossal Cobra Awards @ Lunch
Thursday, May 20th
- Virtual Colossal Cobra Awards via Zoom
- 6th Grade Remote Learners STAAR Testing Math
- 6th Social Studies District Assessment #4
Friday, May 21st
- 6th Grade Remote Learners STAAR Testing Reading
Monday, May 24th
- Final day all Chromebooks, chargers, and hot spots are due.
- College Park High School Graduation 7:30 PM
Tuesday, May 25th
- Inside/Outside Field Day (Schedule finalized soon!)
- Virtual Celebration 4:30 PM
Wednesday, May 26th
- 6th Grade Awards Presentation by Learning Community
- Student 1/2 Day Dismissal 12:50 PM
Collins is Celebrating...
STAAR 2021 Testing Dates
Tuesday, May 11th 5th and 6th Math
Wednesday, May 12th 5th and 6th Reading
Thursday, May 13th 6th Science and 6th Make Up Testing
Friday, May 14th 5th and 6th Make Up Testing
Monday, May 17th 5th Math
Tuesday, May 18th 5th Reading
Wednesday, May 19th 5th Science
Thursday, May 20th 6th Math
Friday, May 21st 6th Reading
Nurse Kendall Updates:
Please click on the following link for an announcement from the district regarding vision, hearing, and scoliosis screenings. We have been able to conduct vision and hearing screenings safely here at Collins but will not be conducting spinal screenings for 5th grade girls this year.
The last day for library check outs is May 10. All library books are due on May 14.
If you need to pay for a lost book, please send a check with your student made out to Collins Intermediate for the exact amount. If the book is from a different school, please make the check out to that school and it will be sent to them. If you need to pay for a book online, please contact the librarian by email at email@example.com to set up the payment. There will be a handling fee added and it may take a few days to get it set up and processed.
If you have any questions about your student’s library account, please contact Mrs Willingham by email. All of your student’s checked out and lost books can be seen through the Destiny Discover app in the student’s SSO. Look in the account section once your student has logged in.
Update from Conroe ISD: Salute to Education, Masks and YouTube Recap
Salute to Education
Conroe ISD celebrated employees and community members in its annual Salute to Education. Congratulations to our 2021 Teachers of the Year who were named during this virtual event! Eden Young from Caney Creek High School was named Secondary Teacher of the Year, and Theresa Stewart from Runyan Elementary was named Elementary Teacher of the Year! Anyone who missed last night’s Salute to Education can view it here or by searching the District’s YouTube channel.
Mask Update: Effective June 1
Masks will be recommended, but optional, for students and staff* in Conroe ISD facilities starting on June 1st. The District will continue to monitor the presence of COVID-19 in the community, the county vaccination rate, and the guidance from public health officials. If conditions remain stable or improve throughout the summer, we look forward to masks also being optional for the 2021-2022 school year. The District’s safety protocols will continue to be based on the most updated information to provide safe and healthy learning environments for our students and keep our schools open.
*Staff will receive additional guidance in a separate communication.
YouTube Update Recap
Anyone unable to join Dr. Null for his update on Thursday, April 22, can view it here or by searching the District’s YouTube channel. To hear information related to specific topics, please see the approximate video times below. A written summary is also available on the Conroe ISD website.
- Celebrations – 08:55
- Honoring the legacies of Bonnie Wilkinson and Gerald Irons, Sr.
- Transportation employees making a difference
- Salute to Education
- Review of April Board Meeting – 15:40
- TWHS Boys’ & Girls’ Swim & Dive State Champions
- Name Suggestions for New Schools and Facilities
- New Principals:
- Dr. Mikia Barnes – Birnham Woods Elementary
- Paula Nicolini – Principal of Sam Houston Elementary
- John McClendon – Principal of Cryar Intermediate
- Melanie Bujnoch – Principal of York Junior High
- Capital Improvements Updates
- 2021 Graduations – 27:25
- 2021 Summer School – 38:45
- Free Curbside Meals – 52:00
- Conroe ISD Virtual School – 53:05
May 6, 2021
The following is our STAAR testing schedule for In-Person Learners: Tuesday, May 11th (5th and 6th Grade STAAR Math Test), Wednesday, May 12th (5th and 6th Grade STAAR Reading Test), and Thursday, May 13th (5th Grade STAAR Science Test). We have been preparing for this assessment all year and we are excited to see our students shine.
We need your help with a few things to better prepare your students for next week.
- Please make sure that students get a good night sleep the night before the STAAR Tests and a great breakfast the next day.
- Our testing day begins at 8:45 AM and ends approximately 2:30 PM. We ask students to be in building by 8:30 AM for the three days of testing. We also discourage you from making any doctor appointments on these days and picking up students early.
- Any in-person learner that misses any STAAR test will make-up the test using the following schedule
6th Grade – Thursday, May 13th and Friday, May 14th
5th Grade – Friday, May 14th
- Students must bring a sack lunch. They will be eating within their classrooms. Outside food deliveries will not be accepted by the front office during STAAR Testing.
- Our campus will be closed to visitors Tuesday, May 11th through Friday, May 14th due to STAAR Testing and Make-up STAAR testing.
- The use of student Smart watches and cell phones will be prohibited on testing days. If students wear Smart watches/bring cell phone the student will turn in item to the teacher and will be kept until STAAR testing has concluded for the day. We strongly recommend students leave Smart watches and cell phone at home.
Thank you so much for your continued support of Collins Intermediate.
Important STAAR Reminders For Virtual Students
Chromebook Return Schedule
We are now accepting Chromebooks, along with their chargers, that were loaned to virtual learners. Please do not return the Chromebook unless you have another device that can be used for virtual learning. Some students also may have hot spots that were checked out to receive internet access. All tech equipment from Collins may be dropped off at the Front Office 9am-3pm.
Virtual learners are still expected to complete assignments to finish this final grading period, and any final Zoom meetings will be on Monday, May 24th.
Tuesday, May 25th is the final day all Chromebooks, chargers, and hot spots are due.
We are planning a End of Year Celebration for our Virtual Learners. More information coming soon!
Times To Remember...
- 8:50 AM—4:00 PM
- Students may enter the building by 7:35 AM (Please enter 5th grade side door)
- 5th Lunch A: 11:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- 5th Lunch B: 11:45 AM- 12:15 PM
- 6th Lunch C: 12:25 PM. - 12:55 PM
- 6th Lunch D: 12:55 PM - 1:25 PM
- 8:00 AM—4:30 PM
- 3:15 PM Calls to change transportation will end
- 3:20 PM Early check out of students will end
- 3:20 PM Cones for car rider dismissal will be set - cars for early pick up will not fit in front parking area
- 3:30 PM First Flight (10 cars) will move forward to cones
- 4:00 PM Flights 1 - 4 will be dismissed to wait at Car Cones
- Dismissed after car dismissal begins; 1. Bikers 2. More Car Flights 3. Neighborhood walkers (parents should not be parked in neighborhoods to pick up children - please use YMCA parking lot) 4. YMCA walkers (crossing guard provided for students)
Are You Following Us?
Collins Twitter Account
Collins Facebook Account
The Conroe Independent School District (District) as an equal opportunity educational provider and employer does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment matters. The District is required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Board policy not to discriminate in such a manner. For information about Title IX rights or Section 504/ADA rights, contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA coordinator at 3205 W. Davis, Conroe, TX 77304; (936) 709-7752.