November 5, 2018
(*link will not be open until Monday morning)
Home to School Connection-More Reading Information
Norwood wants all students to read on or above grade level by 3rd grade, reducing the need for interventions in grades 3-5. At school, we assess reading in multiple ways many times in a year. We use those results to build reading plans for students. Reading on grade level matters. You are their first teacher and their most influential teacher in this reading journey.
I will stress reading at home all year and in various ways. It takes both home and school working together to create strong readers. Reading on grade level increases a student's opportunities for success in school and beyond. In kindergarten, we want to pave the path to graduation.
What we know:
- Reading problems are difficult to fix but easy to prevent--early exposure to reading is key.
- Reading at home together 20 minutes every day teaches most school readiness skills (like: vocabulary, counting, colors, social skills).
What research tells us:
- A student who can't read on grade level by 3rd grade is four times less likely to graduate by age 19 than a child who does read proficiently by that time.
- Struggling readers get further behind after 3rd grade because 85% of the curriculum is taught by reading. Students shift from learning to read to learning through reading.
- Chronic absences from school hurt a child's opportunity to be on or above grade level by 3rd grade.
What the benefits are from the simple act of reading at home:
- Increases the number of children acquiring the essential early literacy skills required for entering kindergarten prepared and eager for school.
- Develops socially and emotionally confident children who have strong bonds and are on pace with their peers.
- Reduces the school achievement gap and lowers the need for remediation by helping children start and stay at grade level.
- Empowers parents and caregivers to become their child’s first and most influential teachers
Veterans Day Celebrations @ Norwood and Centennial HS
Tuesday, Nov. 6 @ Norwood:Norwood will celebrate Veterans on Tuesday, November 6 in a morning assembly in our gym starting at 7:45 am. The short assembly will have a power point of pictures of family members and two songs. It should be over by 8:00. Please have your student wear a red, white, or blue shirt that day.
If you plan on attending, please park on the side of the school closest to the front doors. The front will be for drop off of students. We will have cookies and punch in the parent engagement room after the assembly for any past and present military or first responders.
Thursday, Nov. 8 @ Centennial:
The district celebration will on Thursday, November 8 at Centennial High School.
There will be light snacks at 9:30 and performance begins at 10:00.
Norwood 4th and 5th grade choir will be one of the schools performing that morning.
Helping our Community
Canned Food Drive-Ends November 16th at Noon
The homeroom that collects the most food overall wins a pizza party from Harvest House.
The homeroom at every grade level that wins for that grade level gets their teacher in the Turkey Bowl and wins a popsicle party!
All donated food items go to Harvest House to help all of the Burleson Community.
Safety and Security
Front Entry Access:Thank you for all your patience as we utilize our new front door access. The additional security benefit is fantastic for our campus. All other doors will remain locked at all times. Please remember, if you arrive after 7:45 you must park and walk your student into the building.
Lock Down Drill
On Monday, October 29 Norwood participated in a Lock Down Drill. This was an unannounced drill. Once it was over, we announced that it had been a drill and thanked all students and staff for considering how to keep safety a priority in our day. It is important to practice our responses in an unannounced fashion, but we do understand it can be unsettling. All staff worked to ensure students felt safe and protected at all times.
- Every Thursday is College Shirt Day (with the standard dress for pants, skirt, or shorts)
- Every Friday is Norwood Spirit Shirt Day (with the standard dress for pants, skirt, or shorts)
- Tuesday, Nov. 6-Norwood Veteran's Day Assembly-7:45-8:00 in the gym.
- Thursday, Nov. 8-Centennial High School: 9:30 light snacks, 10:00 performance begins
- Thanksgiving Break-Nov. 19-23