Taft Community School Newsletter, Week of Nov 6, 2023
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Taft Families,
Last week was a busy week! We had several events from Halloween to professional development for teachers and students assemblies. My family and I celebrated Day of the Dead on November 2 and paid homage to our loved ones and ancestors.
As you know, the mornings and evenings are now much cooler so please make sure you’re sending your child to school with a warm coat. A reminder that the Lost and Found box located near the front gate also has several coats that have been left behind or misplaced. When you have a moment, please check it as we typically donate coats that haven’t been claimed in over a month.
We have a short week with the trimester ending on November 9. We have no school on Thursday and Friday due to the trimester ending and Veteran’s Day. Enjoy the long weekend! Mr. Camarena
We had another great turnout at our monthly Principal’s coffee on November 2. We celebrated the Day of the Dead and ate Pan de Muerto while discussing several topics. Below is the presentation for your reference.
Student Recognition Activities & Rewards
In addition to having Halloween on campus this week, we also celebrated our monthly Student of the Month Assembly where students from each class were awarded a certificate for being Responsible, which is one of our Dolphin traits. Students were recognized in front of their teachers and peers. We also reviewed student expectations in the following presentation and did our weekly Dolphin Ticket Raffle. We had a great time! Congratulations to all our recipients!
Community School and Family Center Update
What is a Community School Specialist? And who is the Taft Community School Specialist?
My name is Yadira DiSiena and I am the new Community School Specialist at Taft Family Resource Center.
Part of my role consists of working closely with our MTSS TOSA to identify and support students with chronic absences. Students will be referred for services with me by our MTSS TOSA or Jocelyne Arriaga our Community School Coordinator (CSC).
What are the Community School Coordinator Goals:
Support with improving student attendance and access to wellness resources
Work closely with the Taft Community School Coordinator and Community Partnership Coordinator to identify and leverage new partnerships and resources
Develop outreach plans and lead family engagement efforts in collaboration with Taft’s CSC and team
Where will you see me?
Observing students during recess, student breaks, or in the classroom
Meeting with parents/caregivers at the Family Resource Center
Checking in with students at the Family Resource Center
Collaborating with Taft staff members (Nurse, Mental Health Clinicians, teachers, after-school care, etc.)
I look forward to collaborating with our Taft staff, students, and parents/caregivers in achieving academic and wellness goals for our students!
Picture Day Retakes Tuesday, November 7
Picture Retakes are this Tuesday, November 7th. Students who were absent and or want a retake can take their picture from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. All students must be in full uniform.
School pictures taken on October 3rd are available for parents to view and order online.
Option 1: All parents who had a valid email listed in PowerSchool were sent an email from JostensPIX with a link to the JostensPIX website. Please check your email for instructions.
Option 2: View and order at https://shop.jostenspix.com/login
Event Code: FE293223
Also Needed: Powerschool Unique Student ID. Please call the school for this 6 digit number or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
One Life is hosting a 6-week free parent workshop on Developing Communication Skills with Spouses/Partners in Spanish and English at Siena Youth Center located at 2625 Marlborough Ave, Redwood City. The workshops are weekly on Mondays from 6:45-7:45 PM starting on November 13. Food and child care will be provided, and everyone is welcome.
Outdoor Education Meeting for 5th grade
On Wednesday, November 15, 2023, we will have the Outdoor Education presentation for 5th-grade students and parents who are interested in learning more about Outdoor Education. The meeting will be held online and the Meet link is found below. If you have any questions, please reach out to our 5th-grade teachers, Ms. Momjian, email@example.com, and Ms. Aguilar, firstname.lastname@example.org
Holiday Toy Sign-Up
As the holidays approach, The Taft Family Resource Center would like to share Holiday Toy distribution resources. If you are interested, the links below have more information and how you can register. If you have any questions, please get in touch with Toys for Tots or the Redwood City Holiday Toy and Book program directly.
Taft Parent Compact and Parent Involvement Policy 2023-24
On Tuesday, September 26, our School Site Council (SSC) approved the Taft Parent Compact and Parent Involvement Policy for 2023-24. Both are linked below and are also found on our website in the Parent Hub under Parent Involvement. We ask that all parents complete the Taft Parent Compact by Nov 21, 2023.
Taft Parent Compact 2023-24 (complete by Nov 21, 2023)
Donations of Bottled Water and Granola Bars
We are asking for donations of bottled water and granola bars so that each classroom has some in case of an emergency. We accept bottled water packs (24-40) of 8 oz or more. Please drop off your donation at the front office or family center. Thank you very much!
- Tuesday, Nov 7: Picture Day Retakes
- Thursday, Nov 9: End of Trimester 1, No School
- Friday, Nov 10: Veteran's Day Observance, No School
- Monday, Nov 13: Trimester 2 Begins
- Nov 13 - Dec 15: iReady Winter Assessment Window
- Friday, Nov 17: ELAC
- Tuesday, Nov 21: Minimum Day
- Nov 22-24: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
- Tuesday, Nov 28, School Site Council 6:10-7 pm
- Thursday, Nov 30: Nutcracker Field Trip, 5th Grade
- Friday, Dec 1: Coastal Wildlife: Half Moon Bay In-Person Field Trip, 3rd Grade
- Tuesday, Dec 5: Vision to Learn Screening
- Thursday, Dec 7: Super Minimum Day, Dismissal at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, Dec 13: Second Harvest Food Distribution 2:30-4 pm
- Tuesday, Dec 19: Physics Field Trip 4-5 Grades
- Dec 21 - Jan 8: Winter Break
- Tuesday, Jan 9: Students Return
Student Pick-Up At Dismissal Time
Please pick up your student at the appropriate dismissal time listed in our Bell Schedules. As mentioned above, our office closes at 3 pm and our office staff end their shift at that time as well. We have no staff available after 3 pm. Students who are picked up after 3 pm will have to wait inside the gated area without supervision.
- Please do not park in the staff parking lot in the morning and afternoon. The lot is reserved for staff.
- Please do not block our neighbors’ driveways at any time.
- Please drop off your students in the front drop-off zone. No parking is allowed along the curb. If you are going to park and walk your child to the gate, please park on Bay Rd and walk to the main gate. The RCPD will periodically patrol mornings and afternoons. Administration will be there to receive your students. Once students are dropped off at the main gate, students will be directed to go to their designated area which will be supervised by a staff member. Starting Tuesday, Sept 5, 2023, parents will not be allowed on campus moving forward unless it's a school-related event or have an appointment with a teacher or administrator. All visitors must check into the front office.
- All students need to be in full uniform and wear appropriate shoes every day unless it's a Free Day dress (last Friday of the month). Sandals and Crocs are not allowed on any day. Please refer to the Parent & Student Handbook for complete guidelines. If you need help with uniforms, please contact our Family Center.
- Please review Taft's Cell Phone Policy for Students. Students bringing a cell phone to school must check it in at the front office.
My Next Newsletter
Thank you for taking the time to read my updates. I will send my next newsletter by Monday, November 20, 2023.