As big as a Moose and as fierce as a Bull, he'll trample them all.
Arch Nemesis: Count Corrupt
- Exploitation of child labor
- Corruption in city governments
- The horror of lynching
- Ruthless business practices employed by businessmen, like John D. Rockefeller
- On-going struggle of women for full equality
What did Captain Regulator do?
How did he do it?
- The "Square Deal" - Reforms - Increase in Federal Power, ended Laissez Faire. (Result of Roosevelt's belief in "Noblesse Oblige.")
- Sherman Anti trust Act (Felt trusts should be judged on actions)
- Elkins Act (1903)
- Hepburn Act (1906)
- Pure Food and Drug Act - Passed in 1906 and amended in 1911 to include a prohibition on misleading labeling.
- Meat Inspection Act (1906)
- He took on the captains of industry and argued for greater government control over the economy, pursuing a two-pronged strategy of antitrust prosecutions and regulatory control.
- He pushed through legislation that gave the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) new powers to set railroad rates, laying the foundation for the modern administrative state.
- Casting himself as steward of the nation’s natural resources, he presided over the birth of the conservation movement.
- Convinced that a strong defense was the best guarantee of peace, he built up the Navy and sent it around the world.
HIS LAST WORDS: "James, will you please put out the light?"
"Theodore Roosevelt Quotes- BrainyQuote." Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar. 2013. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/theodore_roosevelt.html>.
"Badass of the Week: Theodore Roosevelt." My Stupid Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Mar. 2013. <http://www.amazingben.com/arf0103.html>.
"Roosevelt The Progressive." Learn Social Studies and American History. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://www.socialstudieshelp.com/lesson_67_notes.htm>.
Yarbrough, Jean M.. " Theodore Roosevelt: Progressive Crusader."Conservative Policy Research and Analysis. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/09/theodore-roosevelt-progressive-crusader>.