Our School Vision
Knight Vision: To share in the commitment of rigorous and high-quality instruction to meet the needs of every child.
Our 2022-23 school theme "TEAM KNIGHT...ALL IN!" is directly aligned with our continued vision and instructional expectations for Knight: to share in the commitment of rigorous and high-quality instruction to meet the needs of every child.
Knight Mission: To provide a positive, stimulating, and secure environment that empowers the individual to grow socially, emotionally, and intellectually in order to meet the challenges of an ever-changing world.
Knight Belief: We believe all kids can learn…
…and we will establish high standards of learning that we expect all students to achieve. It is our job to create an environment in our classrooms that engages students in academic work that results in a high level of achievement. We are confident that with our support and help, students can master challenging curricula, and we expect them to do so. We are prepared to work collaboratively with colleagues, students, and parents to achieve this shared educational purpose (DuFour, 1997a).
Hello, Knight Family!
Black History Month 2023 was AMAZING! Thank you to all of our staff members and students for helping us celebrate! To recap, we had weekly morning announcements highlighting historical African Americans who made contributions to society. Students participated in interactive research projects, African American cultural art lessons, and bulletin board presentations throughout the school. Our students enjoyed the informational and fun learning experiences!
If there is anything I can do to support you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at 770-921-2400 or Toni.Ferguson@gcpsk12.org.
Your Proud Principal,
Dr. Toni Ferguson
Knight Elementary School
APTT IS THE PLACE TO BE!
Thank you first grade families for attending our wonderful APTT Meeting #2! Families reviewed their student's progress with a targeted grade level literacy foundational skill, practiced how to support learning at home, and made a specific, measurable, actionable, and time-bound (SMART) goal. Students enjoyed selecting a book on the Book Mobile! #apttistheplacetobe!
Author Visit with Dr. Autumn Dodson!
We enjoyed welcoming Dr. Autumn Dodson, author of My Teacher Looks Like Me! During her presentation, our students showed they CARE! They were great listeners and asked interesting questions. The students really enjoyed listening to Naomi's (main character) story!
PTA Presidents' Day Dance!
Our Presidents' Day Dance is back! Students enjoyed good food, great music, and fun with friends! Thank you to all who supported, volunteered, and supervised the dance floor!
WAY TO GO READERS RALLY TEAM!
Our 2023 Readers Rally Team did a great job! They had a tough division, but came in 4th! They worked hard and had a lot of fun! Thank you - Geraldine Palin and Dawn Arnold - for serving as awesome coaches!
Are you interested in serving on the Local School Council (LSC)? The school council is an advisory group that provides advice and recommendations for the local school. If you are interested in serving, please forward your name, the number of children you have attending KES, and a brief statement as to why you would like to serve on the LSC to Lisa Burton at the following email address: Lisa_Burton@gcpsk12.org.
Knight PTA News!
We need YOU!
Knight PTA is seeking individuals who are willing to consider being on the ballot for one of the following positions:
Treasurer (Finance, Audit/Accounting, or prior Treasurer experience desired for consideration)
Why serve as a PTA Officer?
- PTA brings together the two most important adult influences in a child’s life - parent and teacher.
- PTA officers oversee programs that serve to enrich our students’ extracurricular and academic experience in diverse ways, such as our Outdoor Classroom, Arts in Education Program, and Literacy Support.
PTA officers work with committee chairs to organize several fun events throughout the year for our families to enjoy together! By serving as a PTA Officer, you are committing to making everyday life at school better while building community. If you would like to know more about what it means to be a PTA Officer, please reach out to Vanessa Estremadoyro for more information.
Thank you for your partnership!
Coming Soon ~ Knight ES Boosterthon Fun Run!
We are excited to kick off our Knight Fun Run on Monday, April 10. Our goal is to raise $10,000 for classroom resources and student field trips/learning experiences.
Our school has always relied on fundraising to provide exceptional opportunities to enhance student learning and we need YOUR HELP registering your student(s) and sharing this event with friends and family. Mark your calendars for the Knight Fun Run!
Key dates to remember:
● Knight Fun Run - Monday, April 10, 2023
● Event Day - Tuesday, April 18, 2023
We are grateful for our Knight family! Thank you for all your support this year!
Saturday, March 4
- Saturday Intervention 9 AM - 11 AM
- 5th Grade Field Trip to Trickum MS 9:30 AM
- ELA Milestones Benchmark Assessment (3-4)
Math Milestones Benchmark Assessment (3-4)
ELA Milestones Benchmark Assessment (5)
Trickum MS Parent Q & A Night (Open to all grade levels) 5 PM - 6 PM
- Math Milestones Benchmark Assessment (5)
- College Awareness Day
- Science Milestones Benchmark Assessment (5)
- Spring Picture Day
- 5th Grade Fundraiser $1 - Bring a Stuffed Animal
- Saturday Intervention 9 AM - 11 AM
- 3rd Grade Vision Mass Screening
- PTA Skate Night 5 PM - 7:30 PM
- Digital Learning Day
- Saturday Intervention 9 AM - 11 AM
- Trickum MS Music Department Visits 5th Grade 9:15 AM-9:45 AM
- Hard Lockdown Drill 9 AM
- Kindergarten - Bus Puppet Show 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
- 1st Grade Field Trip to Atlanta Zoo
- All Pro Dad Meeting 7:30 AM
- Book Character Dress Up Day
- EL Workshop in the Parent Center (1 PM - 2 PM & 5 PM - 6 PM)
- House Challenge Day
- Spring Break / NO SCHOOL
If you were not able to visit our Book Fair, you can visit our online page to make your purchases until Tuesday, March 7. All profits benefit our school.
Use this link to access our Knight Elementary Scholastic Book Fair homepage for online purchases and ewallet set up.
Rising 6th Grade Trickum MS Parent Night!
DIGITAL LEARNING DAY - FRIDAY, MARCH 17
- GCPS will provide meals via bus distribution on digital learning days.
- Both breakfast and lunch will be offered.
- Meals can be served to anyone 18 and under.
- Buses will begin delivery around 10:45-11:00 AM.
We are excited to welcome our new Stars to Knight!
If you know someone who has a child that is ready for Kindergarten, please share the following information about our upcoming Kindergarten Registration.
We are excited to meet all of our future Stars!
KNIGHT KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
401 North River Drive
Lilburn, GA 30047
- Thursday, April 20 ~ 10 AM - 2 PM & 4 PM - 6 PM (Media Center)
- Monday, May 1 ~ 4 PM - 6 PM (Cafeteria)
- Monday, May 8 ~ 4 PM - 6 PM (Cafeteria)
- Monday, May 15 ~ 4 PM - 6 PM Cafeteria)
STEP 1: Register online starting Monday, April 10.
STEP 2: Upload your documents
- You will need: Birth Certificate, GA Immunization Form 3231, GA Form 3300 (Hearing, Vision, Dental & Nutrition), 2 proofs of residency, and parent's photo ID
STEP 3: On April 20th, students will have the readiness screening and participate in other fun activities. Parents may also drop off documents if not uploaded online.
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please call the school office or email our registration team.
Laura Boltin, Student Data Management Clerk, email@example.com
Michael Cunningham, Kindergarten Assistant Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Georgia Milestones (EOG) Assessment
The Georgia Milestones (End-of-Grade) Assessment Window is April 24th - May 12th. We look forward to our 3rd-5th grade students demonstrating all they have learned throughout the year. Our teachers have created many learning opportunities to help students succeed and we are confident that they will do well.
TUTOR.COM FOR 3-5 STUDENTS!
The Gwinnett County Public Library is partnering with Gwinnett County Public Schools to provide online tutoring support to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade Gwinnett students through Tutor.com. Students will need a library account to access the service. They will be able to sign on for individual tutoring sessions daily from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and for 24/7 “drop-off” support (uploading a document for tutor review/feedback to be returned at a later time).
Find all the information you need to take advantage of this program by logging into eCLASS. Look for the box pictured below!
PARENT VUE APP
The Synergy Parent mobile app, ParentVUE, is available for use. The app is available in the Apple App Store, as well as the Google Play Store. An active Parent Portal account is required to log in to ParentVUE.
- It will allow parents, who have a parent portal account, to view schedules, grades, see when assignments are due, view graduation requirements, find missing assignments, and view other important student information.
- If you have a Parent Portal account you will use the same log in username (email) and password that you use online.
Transportation - important reminders!
- Students will begin entering at 8:20 am.
- Drop off ends promptly at 8:50 am.
- Students arriving after 8:50 am will need to be checked in at the front desk by a parent/guardian.
- Morning announcements will begin at 8:50 am.
- Buses will unload at 8:20 am.
- Students will enter the building beginning at 8:20 am.
VISITORS TO THE SCHOOL
- Please contact the Parent Center from 9:00am - 3:00pm at 770-806-3887 if you are interested in volunteering.
- Students will be released starting at 3:20 pm.
- Pick up ends promptly at 3:50 pm.
- Students not picked up after 3:50 pm will need to be checked out at the front desk by a parent/guardian with a photo ID.
- Buses will load at staggered times based upon their arrival.
- Students will be released starting at 3:20 pm.
CHANGE OF TRANSPORTATION: If your child needs a temporary alternate transportation route for the afternoon, please call the front office prior to 10 AM.
Car Rider Reminders!
PARENT LUNCH VISITATION
- Parents/families are welcome to enjoy lunch with their students.
- After checking in the office with an ID and securing a visitor badge, parents/families will meet their student at the entrance to the cafeteria.
- Please allow your child to follow his/her normal routine in the cafeteria line. Feel free to bring a lunch with you or to purchase lunch at the salad/potato bar ($3.75).
- Parents/families will utilize the bistro tables in the hallway outside the cafeteria.
- When leaving the cafeteria, parents should not escort students back to the classroom. Parents must sign out before leaving.
GASP! Georgia After School Program!
Many thanks to all visitors for utilizing our Visitor Management System (VMS) and for submitting identification through RAPTOR. This increased security means that visitors have been screened prior to entering the rest of the building.
A vestibule is being constructed in our front lobby as an additional security measure. Visitors to the school will be buzzed in with our video system and will then be allowed to enter the vestibule. Your ID will then be checked, and once you are cleared you will be able to enter the building.
GCPS schools have established reasonable and precautionary practices within the school to minimize the risk of infection and/or spread of COVID-19 and Monkeypox.
Guidance is subject to change based on updated recommendations from CDC/Department of Public Health and will be communicated to local school Health Response Team members.
- Provide opportunities for regular handwashing.
- Implement the custodial schedule/processes to clean high-touch areas during the school day.
- Communicate and follow COVID-19/Monkeypox criteria for return to work/school in consultation with county nurses.
- As of August 18th, masks are strongly recommended, but optional for staff in all GCPS facilities. In addition, mask coverings are OPTIONAL for students and visitors.
Action Items for School Plan
- Ensure each common area and classroom will have hand sanitizer available for use.
- Continue to provide ample time for restroom and handwashing opportunities.
- A custodial schedule is being utilized to ensure the cleaning of high-touch areas throughout the school day.
*Protocols for reporting COVID-19/Monkeypox contact exposure will be followed and reported immediately to administrators/district health officials. Please see additional information regarding Monkeypox procedures and CDC Guidelines from GCPS.
* In addition, if you or anyone in your home is sick and has tested positive for COVID-19/Monkeypox, please contact our clinic coordinator, Majonna Garcia, immediately.
Need More Help?
Please feel free to contact Ms. Sindy Amador, email@example.com, or Ms. Kelli Sheffield, firstname.lastname@example.org, in our Parent Center. You can also reach them by phone from 9 AM - 3 PM at 770-806-3887.
Please visit the Knight website often for information and updates on KnightESHomepage. Thank you for your generosity and support as we continue to ensure learning for all students at Knight Elementary!
Administrative & Counseling Team
Principal- Dr. Toni Ferguson
Assistant Principal- Mr. Michael Cunningham, Grades K, 1 & Special Needs
Assistant Principal- Ms. Nicole Charloff, Grades 2 & 3
Assistant Principal- Ms. Beth Wilson Grades 4, 5, Special Needs & Specials
Counselors- Ms. Rupal Patel (Grades K-2) & Ms. Michele Brown (Grades 3-5)
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
All visitors must check in at the welcome desk and be prepared to provide a form of identification upon request.
Students should arrive between 8:20 AM- 8:50 AM
Morning announcements and the tardy bell ring at 8:50 AM
Dismissal bell rings at 3:20 PM
- If you are checking out your child early from school, please do so on or before 2:30 PM. This leaves our bus lanes open for bus arrivals. Also, please remember that a picture ID is required for all student check-outs. Thank you!