The Bear Necessities
August 30, 2019
Love that your trying it....
Good News to Share....
Did you know....
Mary Beth and Tiffany, officially part of your teams, see above!
What is a school social worker?
A school social worker is a vital asset to the school community: a link between students, parents, school staff and the school district.
The role of a school social worker involves wearing many hats, including truancy officer, case manager, student and parent advocate, student mediator, counselor and distributor of resources. Typically, they are the only social worker on site, and they serve a unique role within their schools.
Some of the services school social workers provide include:
- Advocating for the child and mobilizing family, school and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible.
- Participating in special education assessment meetings as well as individual educational planning meetings.
- Working with problems in a child's living situation that affect the child’s adjustment in school.
- Preparing a social or developmental history on a child with a disability.
- Helping develop positive behavioral intervention strategies.
- Helping with conflict resolution and anger management.
- Helping alleviate family stress.
- Helping parents access programs available to students with special needs and school and community resources.
- Assessing students with mental health concerns.
- Developing staff training programs.
- Assisting teachers with behavior management.
- Helping school districts get support from social and mental health agencies.
- Identifying and reporting child abuse and neglect.
School social workers are also hired by school districts to support students who struggle with mental health, behavior or emotional problems. They help clear obstacles to social and academic success and give students the tools they need to excel in school.
“It's a matter of being more proactive than reactive,” said Dobon-Claveau, who is also the Sacramento-area regional coordinator for the California Association of School Social Workers. “We're trying to problem solve.”
Missouri Sex Offender Registry:
Tuesday - Kerry PDO
Wednesday - Kerry PDO
Thursday - Kerry PDO
Friday - Kerry PDO
Monday - Kerry PDO
Tuesday - Kerry PDO
Wednesday - Kerry and Jeanie MARC meeting
Thursday - here
Friday - Kerry Jeff City