STAR Staff Newsletter
Week of April 7 - 11, 2014
A Word from Mrs. Erb...
So, we are in the second week of April...WOW! A couple of things....
- If you are a classroom teacher and you are not able to access google.docs, please put in a 1200 ticket
- sign up for STAAR training
- It's National Poetry Month http://www.poets.org/
- One member of each grade level team should sign up for this weeks Techno Tuesday webinar - "App's Galore!"
- No "Meeting of the Minds" on Monday - please meet with your teams instead to go through the newsletter - the "Meeting of the Minds" meeting is a great concept, however, it doesn't have a lot of bang for it's buck - as it is a mini faculty meeting that lasts 7.5 hours for me! A google doc has been created and shared (see below)- each team should add their questions from team meetings into the doc so that we can share with everyone. https://docs.google.com/a/kellerisd.com/document/d/15pWbiLDRhcpx29If0bX4KdvbvdRofUJJherIPKWUjGc/edit?usp=sharing
- Progress Reports - Please work to have these progress reports be an accurate representation of 3 weeks worth of learning.
- Click on the link below to find the 2014 PD opportunities - Click on the catalog on the right side of the page —Be sure to sign up for your Sheltered Instruction and GT hours before all classes fill up! http://portal.kellerisd.net/functions/learning/profdev/Pages/default.aspx
- Check out Eduphoria School Courses - June 10, 11, 12
What is National Poetry Month?
National Poetry Month is a month-long, national celebration of poetry established by the Academy of American Poets. The concept is to widen the attention of individuals and the media—to the art of poetry, to living poets, to our complex poetic heritage, and to poetry books and journals of wide aesthetic range and concern. We hope to increase the visibility and availability of poetry in popular culture while acknowledging and celebrating poetry’s ability to sustain itself in the many places where it is practiced and appreciated.
How can teachers become more involved in Poetry Month??
In addition to free poetry lesson plans and curriculum units, the Academy provides tip sheets for teachers, including ideas and success stories from past years. If you're a teacher with a success story you'd like to share, email us and we may post your story on Poets.org.
Poem in Your Pocket Day 2014
Poem in Your Pocket Day is Thursday, April 24
On Poem in Your Pocket Day, people throughout the United States select a poem, carry it with them, and share it with others throughout the day.
You can also share your poem selection on Twitter by using the hashtag #pocketpoem.
Next Week - district PD
Casey's Kids - Team Whitley Road??
Team Whitley Road??? Any takers? Groups of 10+ get reduced entry fee but is due by Tuesday! Sign up is on my door!
Proceeds from the 5K run benefit KISD families in need. All proceeds are kept locally and distributed by KISD School Counselors - last year, we were able to give out lots of gift cards at Christmas, etc....WRES is supported greatly by Casey's Kids!
In addition, the class with the most students who sign up will earn an ice cream party!
The event began as an idea by long-time KISD counselor Janie Casey who wanted to create a way for families to support each other by providing monetary donations toward purchasing necessities for KISD students in need, all while providing an outlet for enjoyment, exercise, and socialization. The result was a "Fun Run" where families could participate together to support a worthy and noble cause.
Early registration is due by Tuesday, April 8 to guarantee a Casey's Kids Fun Run t-shirt, but late registration will be accepted up until 7:15 a.m. the day of the event.