The Sunnyside Scoop
School Newsletter -- April, 2018
Kids Junction: (651) 385 - 4587
First Student (General busing questions): (651) 388 - 8244
Transportation (Bus routing): (651) 385 - 4795
As I mentioned in last month's Sunnyside Scoop, Sunnyside will be undergoing some significant construction projects this summer. These updates and upgrades are the direct result of the building referendum passed by voters in April, 2016. On the docket for Sunnyside this summer:
- Boiler replacement
- Carpet & tile replacement
- Restroom updates
- Creation of a secured entrance
- Parking lot replacement and expansion
- Asbestos abatement (this will actually begin in our boiler room beginning in late April or early May)
- Several smaller projects as well...
While all of these projects are important, two in particular will fundamentally change some practices at Sunnyside:
- Secured Entrance -- Sunnyside's was built in an era when schools were pretty open places. In this day and age, however, with an increasing number of significant school safety concerns across the nation, it is necessary to make our schools more secured places. Beginning next fall, Sunnyside will finally have a front entrance which routes all incoming traffic through the office. Our front entrance will be the only door the community will be able to enter the school before, during, or after school, and all visitors will be required to present ID to be scanned for a badge (even before school hours). Dismissal will also change, with parents being asked to wait in the portion of the lobby outside the controlled entrance unless they have their ID scanned and have a badge. Some of these changes will be inconvenient at times, but I know we all value the safety of our Sunnyside students more than our convenience.
- New Parking Lot -- Thank goodness our front lot is being addressed! I know it's pretty rough out there right now, and this weird spring has been tough on our lot. Not only will our parking lot be repaved this summer, it will actually be expanded, which will add close to 20 additional parking spaces as well as a new drop-off loop. In addition, the lot entrance off Southwood Avenue will be widened to address the terrible bottleneck we currently see at pick-up time. As we get closer to the beginning of next school year, I will be communicating with our community about how these changes will affect our drop off and pick-up procedures at Sunnyside. This will likely include a flyer and even an informational video of some sort. Stay tuned for much more information about parking!
Please be patient as we grow into these changes next fall. There are bound to be some hiccups along the way - there always are with new changes. If we all work together, we can make the transitions here at Sunnyside as smooth as possible!
Dates to Remember...
6-13 -- Scholastic Book Fair
9-13 -- Music Concert Week
11 - 1st Grade Field Trip to Sheldon Theatre
13 -- Minnesota Twins Lunch Promo
16 -- 2nd Grade Field Trip to Quarry Hill in Rochester
17 -- Apex Fundraiser Kickoff
20 -- Earth Day Activities @ RWHS for 1st Grade
23 -- National Eagle Center Visits Sunnyside (1st Grade)
24 -- Rescheduled Lifetouch Spring Picture Day
30 -- 1st Grade Field Trips to Carpenter Nature Center (Nagel & Swanson)
30 - May 4 -- Guest Teacher from China Visits
30 - May 4 -- Spring FASTbridge Assessments
2 -- 1st Grade Field Trips to Carpenter Nature Center (Pearson & Fagerlund)
7 -- 1st Grade Field Trips to Carpenter Nature Center (Friedrich & Rumpca)
7 -- Kindergarten Town Tour -- Marler, Prigge, Richardson
9 -- Kindergarten Town Tour -- A. Johnson, Marklevits, McDonnell, Prahl
10-11 -- Field Days (more information to come!)
11 -- Kindergarten Town Tour - Dressen, B. Johnson, Plonsky
14 -- 1st Grade Field Trips to Carpenter Nature Center (Grove & Welsch)
14 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- P. Dressen & Prahl
15 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- B. Johnson & McDonnell
16 -- 2nd Grade Dakota Education Day @ Prairie Island
16 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- Prigge & Richardson
17 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- Marklevits & Marler
17 -- Special Education Field Day @ RWHS
18 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- Plonsky & A. Johnson
21 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - A. Johnson & Richardson
22 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - Marklevits & Plonsky
23 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - B. Johnson & Prigge
24 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - Dressen & Marler
25 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - McDonnell & Prahl
25 -- TWO HOUR EARLY RELEASE (staff development)
28 -- NO SCHOOL (Memorial Day)
29 -- Kindergarten Hok-Si-La Field Trip -- Dressen, B. Johnson, Marler, Prahl, Richardson
30 -- Kindergarten Hok-Si-La Field Trip -- AJohnson, Marklevits, McDonnell, Plonsky,
31 -- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
2018-2019 Incoming Kindergarten Registration
Kindergarten registration has moved to Sunnyside School! If you have an incoming kindergarten student for the 2018-2019 school year, please come to the Sunnyside office to register between the hours of 7:00 am - 3:30 pm. Please remember to bring the following:
- Copy of your child's birth certificate (must be an official certificate, not hospital issued)
- Immunization record, including 5-year shots (If not yet completed, can be turned in at a later date before school starts)
Apex Fun Run is Coming!
Tuesday, 4/17 @ 2:00 pm: We will have an all-school pep rally to kick off the Apex Fun Run fundraiser! Students will also bring home directions to start seeking pledges for the run on this day.
4/18 - 4/25: Students will experience daily leadership lessons in their classroom from the Apex staff. Additionally, Apex will support students as the seek pledges for the upcoming Fun Run.
Thursday, 4/26: Fun Run Day! More specific run times coming soon...
Pleas CLICK HERE to view more information about the upcoming event.