March 2016-Ashford University Newsletter
Military Development and Engagement
The Military Community Newsletter at Ashford University was designed as a way for you to learn and share community events, resources, and key topics relevant to service members, veterans, and their families nationwide. Please contact Ashford's Military Development and Engagement Specialist if you have questions or additional resources you would like to share with your fellow military community.
IN THIS EDITION
- Career Services at Ashford
- Habitat for Humanity Playhouse Program
- Ashford University’s Outstanding Alum for the Month of February
- Expand Your Skills. Find a Job. Connect to Opportunity
- Join the SVO
- Brain Injury Awareness Month
- Become a CHAMPS Peer Mentor/Mentee
- Tricare Help
- SALUTE Honor Society
- Previous Editions
- Citations and URL Image Retrieval
Career Services at Ashford
Ask any military member who has enrolled in college - the degree isn't the end goal, a career is.
That's where Ashford's Employer Relations team comes into play.
When you look at Ashford University's entire student population, nearly 23% of all students are part of the military. Active duty, veteran, spouse - they're all here. Ashford University couldn't be more proud.
Employer Relations plays an integral role in Ashford's Career Services department. We have created over 250 hiring events across the nation for Ashford students/alumni in 2015 alone. There have been hundreds of jobs posted specifically to Ashford students/alumni as well. In recent years, there has been an enormous drive by countless employers across America to hire military members, and thanks to our large military student population, Ashford has been a target for these companies.
In short: companies across the nation consider students and alumni from Ashford, which includes military members who are getting their degree. Ashford's Employer Relations team connects military students and alumni to our vast network of recruiters, hiring managers, and business owners.
Employer Relations connect military students and alumni to our vast network of recruiters, hiring managers, and business owners. Military students/alumni receive email alerts about local and national job openings, open houses, career fairs, and even virtual conferences located right where they live. Many of these roles are specifically designed for military members, such as careers in law enforcement, upper management, and executive leadership roles. Students and alumni are given a direct introduction to the recruiters and hiring professionals who interview candidates.
Log into your student portal and get connected with these companies today!
Written by: Anthony Moore / EMPLOYER OUTREACH SPECIALIST
Habitat for Humanity Playhouse Program
Habitat provides a half-day event—building and decorating usable and durable playhouses that are given to children through partnerships with several local charities serving families in need.
Habitat for Humanity has chapters all over the nation. Please look up your local chapter to see if they participate in the Playhouse Program. Become a volunteer, nominate a family, or apply for yourself.
Vanessa Valente Perryman Named Ashford University’s Outstanding Alum of the Month
Vanessa Valente Perryman Named Ashford University’s Outstanding Alum for the Month of February.
“The quality of education I received from Ashford is incomparable,” Perryman said, adding that she encouraged a friend to follow in her footsteps and attend the University online.
She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Management which led to her becoming a commissioned officer in the United States Air Force. To read more on her story click the link below.
Expand Your Skills. Find a Job. Connect to Opportunity
Get 1-year free access to a Premium Job Seeker Account and Courses at Lynda.com. Access advanced job search tools, make the right connections. Or master new skills to generate more opportunities.
- Translate your military service to civilian life
- Business Courses + Tutorials
- Design Training + Tutorials
- Tips for Veteran Job Seekers on LinkedIn
- How Veterans Use LinkedIn for their Careers
- One of Linkedin's Most Engaged Members: Military Veterans
Click the link and follow the prompts to register.
With nearly 70% of employees finding jobs through a personal connection, (Morgan, H. 2014, September 17) start building your network today! Join the Students Veterans Organization and meet other Ashford best and brightest!
Brain Injury Awareness Month
DVBIC supports a network of 16 centers, operating out of 11 military treatment facilities and five Department of Veterans Affairs medical centers. The specific activities vary at each site and can include:
- conducting research
- providing education in military and civilian settings
- providing direct care to service members
- helping service members, veterans and their families locate services
- and assessing TBI injury data.
To see a list of location please click HERE
For free educational brochures and booklets click HERE
To view a recording of our "Academic Success After a Traumatic Brain Injury" Webinar
Become a CHAMPS Peer Mentor to:
- Serve a new online learner as he or she acclimates to the demands of returning to school.
- Share your experience and how you achieved academic success at Ashford University.
- Inspire new students as they overcome the adjustments of studying online.
- Contribute to the academic success of new students in Ashford’s online programs.
- Enhance your own career marketability through leadership experience.
- Create a stronger overall sense of connection and belonging amongst Ashford’s online community and future alumni
Become a CHAMPS Peer Mentee to:
- Get connected with a high-achieving, successful Ashford University student to build your support system.
- Get help navigating Ashford University’s learning resources including the Student Portal, Library, Writing Center, and many others.
- Learn how to manage your time and other responsibilities as an adult learner from students that face similar challenges.
- Gain access to videos, worksheets, and other activities designed to develop you as an online learner with Ashford University.
Tricare Help: How to Find Participating Network Doctors
At that website, beneficiaries not only can find doctors who participate in the Tricare network in each of the system's three U.S. regions, but there is also information on non-network providers, a list of military hospitals and clinics, and help in finding host-nation providers overseas.
Questions about who in your family is eligible for benefits? Click HERE to learn more.
Toll-free customer service contacts for all Tricare regions can be found HERE.
SALUTE Honor Society
High Achieving Military Students! Want to be recognized for your excellent grades and your military affiliation? If you meet the requirements for eligibility, you can join SALUTE National Veterans Honor Society at Ashford University.
SALUTE stands for Service, Academics, Leadership, Unity, Tribute, and Excellence. SALUTE is the first honor society created for student veterans and military at two- and four-year higher education institutions nationwide.
* The newsletter may contain now or in the future links to other websites, such as links to military charities, discounts or offers, or other third parties that may provide services or products to you. These links and this information is being provided to you for your convenience and as a resource. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, the content of, or any other actions of such other websites or their owners or operators, information they may collect or information they may share. Further, the inclusion of an organization on this newsletter does not indicate an endorsement of such organization (or of any religious or political point of view promoted by such organization) by Ashford University or its affiliates.
Citations and URL Image Retrieval
- Flicker (2015) Career Services Image. Retrieved from:https://www.flickr.com/photos/desalesuniversity/
- Brain Injury Awareness Month. Retrieved from: http://dvbic.dcoe.mil/
- Expand Your Skills. Find a Job. Connect to Opportunity. Retrieved from:https://veterans.linkedin.com/
- Tricare Help Image. Retrieved from:http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/health-care/2015/12/27/tricare-help-find-participating-network-doctors/77565018/
Stephanie Kinman: Military Development and Engagement Specialist
Please do not hesitate to email me if you wish to unsubscribe