Latest info, updates and teaching ideas
Keeping you all tech savvy, sharing knowledge, and collaborating with others!
In this Edition
Sway makes it quick and easy to create and share polished, interactive reports, presentations, personal stories and more.
Use OneNote at home, school and work to capture thoughts, ideas and to-do's. Share your notebooks with others for viewing or editing
Get to your files from anywhere, on any device, with Microsoft OneDrive. Share and work together with anyone in your work and life.
More info and interactive lessons on OneNote for education can be found here: http://onenoteforteachers.com/
OneDrive is a cloud storage solution with these great features:
- Version History: Right-click any file to retrieve an older version (yes it automatically backs up files and changes).
- Unlimited Storage: The Department pays for the use of Office 365 and teachers currently have 1TB of storage (however I've heard it can be unlimited).
- Work Online: You can use online versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc just by clicking the file in your browser (Note these are stripped down versions of the full software packages).
- Open in ...: Want access to the full version of Word or PowerPoint? Sure thing, just click the 'Open in' button. When you press save, it will automatically upload the latest version to the cloud!
- Download: Don't want to work over the existing file, or maybe you would prefer to work offline? Just right-click and select download to have your own local copy saved.
- Upload: Want to upload files easily? Just click and drag them into the browser version.
- Sync your files: You can use the OneDrive sync client to automatically sync the folders to your computer (Please note: syncing doesn't work within the DoE environment so best to use on home computers only).
- Mobile Access: Download the OneDrive mobile app on your favourite device to access them on-the-go. Be sure to grab the Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps too for FREE so you can edit them too!
- Shared Files: You can share a file or folder easily with people by right click and choosing 'Share'. You can create a Public Link (e.g. for sending homework to students) or choose to have DoE access only (you can even choose specific people to share with to ensure you files are safe - and choose to give 'full editing' or 'view only' privileges).
- Work at Home: Download full versions of Office for Windows or Mac on up to 5 devices for FREE. Just access your Office 365 account via the portal and follow the links to download and install the latest version of Microsoft Office on your home devices.
Tip of the Month
Even better, you can use Fur.ly to shorten a group of URL's which is handy to share with the students when you are trying to direct them to multiple sites for research or homework!