News from the Nest
Week of 11/16-11/20
Next week, students will learn moods found in literature. We will discuss how words and illustrations influence their mood and feelings. We will also continue focusing on inferring to gain information while reading. Students will use details from the text to infer the answer to questions while reading. They will also continue focusing on inferring character traits, motivations and feelings to deepen their understanding of fictional texts.
Any discussion of your child's reading at home is helpful. If you are interested, below are some question suggestions that align to what we are working on in class:
1. Which character trait best describes the main character in your story? Show more than one place in the text that supports your thinking.
2. Can you tell me how the character is feeling in this part of the story?
3. Would you want to be friends with the character in your book? Why or why not?
4. How would you describe the main character?
5. What were the character's motivations in finding a resolution to the problem?
Next week, students will focus on adding transitional words and phrases to their fairy tale drafts. They will finish writing their first fairy tale adaptation. They will use the writing checklist to assess their first adaptation and make goals as they begin planning their next piece of writing. For the second piece of writing in this unit, students will adapt a fairy tale of their choice.
This week, we used multiplication strategies to understand and gain information from pictographs. We also used place value knowledge to multiply by multiples of 10.
Next week, we will spend the week learning the distributive property and using it to solve multiplication problems.
Ways to practice at home:
IXL H.1, H.2, H.3, N.6, N.7, N.8 focus on what we are currently working on. Practicing any of the F, G, or H categories would be helpful.
Math fact triangles
Today the fire alarm was accidentally set off while maintenance was working in the gym. There was no fire at any time. I just wanted to make you aware in case your child comes home and shares what happened.
- Reading Log due on Monday
- Report cards will be sent home with your child on Monday
- Next Friday is the final day to Stuff the Turkey with rice or pasta donations for the Woodridge Food Pantry
- Scholastic book orders are due by 12/3. Our class code is JVVGG. Thanks!