Principal Update: Week of October 19
Connecting * Informing * Supporting
From Principal Andrews
Good afternoon, Greenville Middle Family - This week, students will be participating in district benchmark assessments. On Monday and Tuesday, students will complete the Math Benchmark and on Wednesday and Thursday, students will complete the ELA Benchmark. Students will be provided 90 minutes to complete the assessments, which will be taken in homeroom. Information will provide teachers with data to support students and plan for instruction. Students should make every effort to be present on their in-person days.
- October 19 & 20 - District Math Benchmark
- October 21 - Unity Day (Wear ORANGE)
- October 21 & 22 - District ELA Benchmark
- October 22 - End of the 1st Quarter
- October 23 - Teacher Workday / No School for Students
- October 25-27 - District Science Benchmark (6th grade only)
- October 26-30 - Red Ribbon Week
- October 27 - SIC Meeting
- October 29 - Report Cards
- October 29 - PSAT (T/Th Students)
- October 30 - District Benchmark Window Closes
- November 3 - Election Day / GCS Schools & Offices Closed / No School for Students
- November 5 - Make-Up Picture Day
- November 25-27 - Thanksgiving Holiday / No School for Students
In this week's GMA Bulletin, you'll find information about:
- School Picture Orders & the Date for Make-Up Pictures
- PTA Memberships
- PSAT Reminders
- Red Ribbon Week
- Basketball Try-Outs
- Student Scholarships & Awards (ranging from $500 to $100,000)
As always, thank you for your support of Greenville Middle Academy! Let's have a great week!
End of Quarter - Oct 22 / Report Cards - Oct 29
Congratulations to our 8th Grade Lady Rams!
For 8th Grade: Magnet Academies - Check This Out!
This year, due to social distancing requirements in schools, each magnet academy will offer a Magnet Open House video posted to their school’s main website. These videos will explain the magnet application process as well as provide more information about the school’s program.
For 8th Grade: Fine Arts Center Applications Now Available
If you are an 8th grader interested in attending the Fine Arts Center next year in 9th grade:
The fine arts center application window is: October 8 - November 12, 2020.
The next Evening Informational Sessions with FAC Director, Mr. Popat:
Tuesday, October 27, 7:00-7:45 p.m. - https://meet.google.com/gzh-acjr-ths
Please visit the Fine Arts Center website for more information.
8th Graders Taking the PSAT
Please be reminded that if you attend school on Tuesday/Thursday, your test date is Thursday, October 29.
Please check in with your homeroom teacher and then report to the media center. Remember to bring two #2 pencils (not mechanical) and a calculator, if you have one.
Virtual Students/Parents: Please check your email for details.
Please contact Mrs. Cao, 8th grade school counselor, with any questions.
Turn in these documents to Mr. Hall, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA Memberships - The Backbone of Our School Community!
Please join the GMA PTA. Membership is $5. Our membership goal is to have 100% membership participation. Our PTA supports students and staff. Money raised goes towards staff appreciation, school improvement and end-of-the-year events.
Memberships are available in the virtual school store at: https://gma.memberhub.store/.
School Picture Orders / Make-up Pictures
Log into www.strawbridge.net and use the school code FM347243.
Make-up pictures will be on November 5. This date is for MONDAY/WEDNESDAY and TUESDAY/THURSDAY groups and virtual students. Use the schedule below. Students who had a picture taken and need a re-take must bring the proof to have their picture re-taken.
Red Ribbon Week is Coming!
Students and staff are encouraged to participate in each day's theme, and students are encouraged to participate in two contests to bring awareness to Red Ribbon Week and it’s campaign against drug use.
- Remember that wearing a mask is required for all students and staff when entering and exiting the building. Whenever 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained, masks will be worn inside the classroom. Masks will also be worn during transitions from class to class.
- Remember that social distancing of at least six feet is critically important. DHEC requires an exclusion from school for 10-14 days for anyone who tests positive for COVID and all close contacts.
- Close contacts are defined as individuals who spend at least 15 cumulative minutes within six feet of a person while he/she is contagious with COVID. This requirement is not impacted by wearing masks - so even if individuals wear a mask and do not socially distance, they will be excluded from school/work. Individuals with COVID are believed to be contagious for up to 48 hours before they develop symptoms or test positive (if asymptomatic).
Students with symptoms of COVID-19 should be excluded from school if they have any one of the following with or without fever:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing -or-
- Loss of taste or smell -or-
- New or worsening cough
Free & Reduced Price Meal Applications
It is important for parents & guardians complete Free and Reduced Price Meal Applications.
The online Free and Reduced Price Meal Applications are available for the 2020-2021 school year. They can be accessed at http://greenville.schoollunchapp.com.
Please note: Free meals will expire on December 31, 2020, or until congressional appropriated funding runs out.
Take Home Meals Process
On Attendance Plans 1 and 2, students can receive take-home breakfast and lunch for days they are NOT in attendance. The meals will be available for pickup near the end of the day.
Meals are provided at no cost to families (through December 31, 2020).
In order to assist our cafeteria staff better prepare for the number of meals needed to be sent home, we are asking families, interested in this meal option, to complete this form no later than Sunday for the upcoming week. A form should be completed for each student receiving the meals.
Hotspots & Downloading Assignment to Work Offline
Parents are reminded of the Mobile Hotspot Project, which is funded by the CARES Act. The following requirements must be true for families to receive a hotspot:
- Have at least one PreK-12th grade student in the household that attends Greenville County Schools
- The home does not currently have internet service
- Have a household income at or below 250% of the federal poverty rate (chart on back)
- Need internet for educational purposes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
If the household does not meet the above criteria, they do not qualify for a CARES ACT hotspot. They may check with www.everyoneon.org to see if they are eligible for other programs.
For more information, contact Ms. Goulart at email@example.com or 355-5626.
Scholarship and Awards Programs - Information and Deadlines
- $5,000 - 51 Awards (Deadline: October 31, 2020)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in a public, private, parochial school, or home student program in the U.S.
- $10,000 - 10 Awards (Deadline: October 31, 2020)
- To be eligible for the scholarship a student must be at least 13 years of age and be a resident of the U.S.
- $5,,000 - 50 Awards (Deadline: November 10, 2020)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be in grades 5-12 as of November 10, 2020 and be a legal resident of any U.S. state or Washington, D.C.
- $500 - 3 Awards (Deadline: November 1, 2020)
- Students must be in one of the three grade categories: Kindergarten thru 4th, 5th thru 8th, or 9th thru 12th (the teacher of the winning class will receive $1000 for art supplies)
- $500 - 2 Awards (Deadline: December 15, 2020)
- To be eligible students must be in grade 6-12 and submit an appropriately prepared geneology
- $1000 - 4 Awards (Deadline: March 5, 2021)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be a U.S. student enrolled in 6th-8th and have exactly 4 students in your team (students do not need to be from the same school)
- $100,000 - 100 Awards (Deadline; May 1, 2021)
- To be eligible for the award a student must be a student between the ages of 4 and 18 (as of the date the entry is submitted)
Nominate a Teacher for the WYFF Golden Apple Award
Use this Nomination Form to complete your entry. This link will prompt you to make a copy, click make a copy and complete your nomination. Once finished, print and mail your entry to:
WYFF News 4
Golden Apple Award
505 Rutherford Street
Greenville, SC 29609
Set Up Parent Backpack - An App for Parents & Guardians
Parent Backpack is an online application that allows parents and guardians to view your student's grades, school attendance, and discipline when you are logged into the system. Parent Backpack works on any device and is mobile-friendly.
To access Parent Backpack, go to https://parents.gcsbackpack.com and create an account. Please access directions by clicking on Creating a Parent Backpack Account.
eLearning Tab On Our Website
Here are a few resources that you will find on this page:
- eLearning Guide for Parents & Students
- Parent Video Guide to Google Classroom
- Google Guardian Feature (Summary emails about your student's missing work, upcoming work, and class activity)
- Parents’ Guide to Google Classroom / La guía de los padres para Aula de Google
- Accessing Google Classroom Files and Websites while Offline / Accediendo a Google Classroom Archivos y sitios web sin conexión
- Directions to Authenticate Your Chromebook