What's Happening @Faiss
Information and Updates for the Week of November 14, 2022
Faiss Mission Statement: Through challenging and engaging activities, the Faiss Middle School community promotes respect, encourages life-long learning, and achieves academic success.
Week of November 14, 2022
This week we are celebrating our November students of the month on Friday. Basketball tryouts will be held Monday through Wednesday after school in the gym. Boys are from 2:15-4pm and Girls are from 4-5:30.
Here are the updates for this edition of our school community newsletter
Items for this week
- Planning Your Calendar
- Faiss MS School Organization Team Meeting November 14, at 4pm.
- Faiss MS Title I Parent Night "Soft Skills for Success in MS and Beyond" 5-6pm.
- Flu/Covid Shots at Sierra Vista HS from 1:30-4pm
- Dance Program Chipotle Fundraiser Tuesday, November 15, 4pm-8pm
- Attendance Information for Middle School Families
- Free Dental Care for CCSD students
- Traffic Safety
- Tutoring/Classwork Assistance Schedule
- PAPER- Free 24/7 online tutoring and assignment assistance
- Clubs/Activities After School Schedule
- Lunch menus and outside food options
- FaissFlix Daily Announcements
- Cell Phone Policy and Assistance for Families
Questions, concerns, or compliments...feel free to reply or call the school directly at 702-799-6850.
Dream...Believe...Soar to Achieve!
Roger West, Principal
Planning Your Calendar
- Tuesday, November 15- Chipotle Fundraiser for Dance Program
- Wednesday, November 23 - Friday, November 25 -Thanksgiving Holiday (No School)
- Faiss Winter MAPs Testing November 28 - December 16 in ELA, Math, and Science classes. Please check with your teacher for your specific dates.
- Friday, December 16 - End of Second Grading Period (45 days)
- Monday, December 19- Monday, January 2- Winter Break
- Tuesday, January 3 - Classes Resume Second Semester Begins
- Monday, January 16 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (No School)
- Monday, January 23 - Staff Development Day (No School for Students)
- Monday, February 20 - Presidents' Day (No School)
- Friday, March 10 - End of Third Grading Period (47 days)
- Monday, March 13 - Friday, March 17 Spring Break
- Wednesday, April 12 - Friday, April 14 - SBAC testing science and math at Faiss Middle School
- Monday, April 17 - Wednesday, April 20 - SBAC testing ELA at Faiss Middle School
- Friday, April 28 - Staff Development Day (No School for Students)
- Monday, May 22 - End of Fourth Grading Period (44 days) Last day of school for the 2022-23 School Year
Faiss MS School Organization Team Meeting
Title I Family Engagement Night-
Please see the link for the flyer here: Title I Parent Night
COVID 19 and Flu Vaccine Information
Faiss MS Dance Program Chipotle Night- Tuesday, November 15
UNLV Free Dental Care Call 702-774-2461
Before and After School Options
***Please note that before school there are ONLY 20 minutes available on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. If you plan to meet with your teacher before school, please try to schedule that ahead of time so they are expecting you.
PAPER- Free Online tutoring available to all CCSD students!
Free Online Tutoring Available to Students
The Clark County School District is excited to provide all students with access to tutoring services through “Paper.”
Paper provides 1:1 virtual tutoring at no cost to students and their families. Students can get help in any subject or feedback on their written work from highly qualified educators through Paper’s secure online classroom, which is available via any device. Paper’s instructional framework emphasizes inquiry-based learning that empowers students to pursue lifelong learning and prepare for college and career success. Paper's multilingual tutors provide support in English, Spanish, French, and Mandarin.
Students can access the tutoring service when not in the classroom by using their online Clever account.
On Paper’s secure chat-based platform, tutors work individually with students to help them master concepts, improve their writing, and facilitate the completion of their coursework.
Paper offers on-demand tutoring and academic support tutoring services 24 hours/ 7 days a week. The partnership will provide free and equitable access to academic support for CCSD students of all socioeconomic backgrounds. CCSD is funding the Paper partnership using Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief funds (ESSER), making the service free to all K-12 students and families.
To learn more, visit paper.co or sign in to your student’s Clever account.
Clubs and Organizations
Please know we will continue to add throughout the year and will communicate those changes here and through our daily broadcast show, FaissFlix.
Also, for those families that live just east of Faiss, near the neighborhoods around Tanaka ES, PLEASE take a moment and talk to your student about the importance of going to the crosswalks at Maule, Arby, or Warm Springs. We had two phone calls from concerned drivers that observed Faiss students crossing Ft. Apache outside of those crosswalks.
CCSD/Faiss MS Breakfast/Lunch Menus
Special Lunch Options Available- Cash only accepted
Student Store available Monday-Friday Items cost $1-$2
Chik-fil-A every Monday $5 Chicken sandwich and bottle of water
Panda Express every Wednesday- $7 Bowl (Chow Mein and Orange Chicken) and bottle of water
Raising Canes every Friday- $7 (2 fingers, fries, and bread) and a bottle of water
Student Cell Phone Policy and Assistance for Parents/Guardians
Some of our parents choose to limit their child(ren)'s access to phones during the school day by putting parental controls/locks on their phones. This allows parents to remotely control when your child can be on their phone. If you are unaware of those features or apps, here is an article with more information:
Regardless of how you choose to limit/restrict your child's phone, we HIGHLY recommend that you always know the password to your child's phone, regularly (at least weekly) check your child's phone, and regularly check and limit all social media accounts.
As a reminder:
Cell phones are not permitted to be used in hallways, classrooms, or bathrooms, at any time. Unless given express permission by an adult on campus, cell phone use is only allowed before school, during lunch, and after school If a student has an emergency, he/she should talk to a teacher, counselor, administrator, or other school staff member.
Phones should be stored in a non-visible and out-of-sight location. If Faiss MS staff sees the phone, it will be taken. Phones confiscated in violation of these guidelines will be held in the Office of Student Success until the end of the day. If a phone is confiscated more than 3 times, parents or guardians are required to pick up the phone. In addition, if a student refuses to give the cell phone to a staff member when requested there will be additional consequences (e.g. checking cell phone in/out).
As a condition of possessing a device on campus, the student agrees to a search of the device’s content if reasonable suspicion of violating the cell phone use policy exists. Faiss Middle School is not responsible for phones or electronic devices lost or stolen on campus.
Cell phones must remain on silent at all times on campus, including during a school evacuation, lockdown, or drill. During these situations, tell your child NOT to try to contact you by cell phone until given the okay by school staff, thus allowing emergency communication channels to remain open. The District’s communication system has the capability of contacting parents/guardians in an emergency. Please be reminded that each school has intercoms and loudspeakers and the classrooms have hardwired telephones. Additionally, administrators and safety personnel are prepared with two-way radios and cell phones.
Earbuds/Headphones are only allowed in a classroom when a teacher has instructed students to use them. Earbuds/Headphones are NOT to be worn around campus, including in classrooms, bathrooms, and hallways.