Charles Ellis Montessori Academy, December 7, 2020
To Educate The Whole Child for a Whole World
The Child is the Answer
In Ireland we have a saying that, when a child is born he or she is "fresh from eternity". I love this saying as it conveys that within the child lies all the answers to the universe. Maria Montessori embraced such a notion. She asked us to "Follow the child!". By observing the children in their environment and by then adjusting the environment to the developmental and intellectual needs of each child, then true growth will naturally happen. I challenge us all to continue this practice. Find some time to just sit and watch the children no matter what age, Primary through Erdkinder. Maybe within this stillness you will recognize your own Cosmic Task!
December 7- School Council Meeting
December 12-13- Boosterthon T-Shirt Pick-Up
December 17- PTA Virtual Festival of Lights
December 21-January 1- Winter Break
January 4- Staff Planning Day- No School for Students!
January 5-8- e-Learning Days
January 8- PTA Boosterthon Kick-Off
January 11- Cohort A returns in-person to school
January 14- Cohort B returns in-person to school
January 18- MLK Jr. Day- No School!
January 20- Virtual Boosterthon Event
*Urgent* SCCPSS Student Code of Conduct
- Log into the PowerSchool Parent Access Portal.
- For each student, click the "Year-Round Update (2020-2021)" option at the bottom of the left-hand navigation menu (see picture below).
- At the bottom of the Year-Round Update page, fill out the "Code of Conduct" section:
- Check acknowledgement box
- Type full name
- Enter date
- Click submit
School Council News
The next School Council meeting will be Monday, December 7th, at 3:30pm. These meetings are open to the whole Ellis community. If you would like to join, please email Sarah Smith, School Council Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link.
The minutes for the first two School Council meetings of the 2020/2021 school year can be found on the Ellis website.
The establishment of a school council is intended to bring parents and the community together with teachers and school administrators to create better understanding of and mutual respect for each other's concerns and to share ideas for school improvement.
We have wrapped up our internet safety lessons with special presenters from Savannah RCC. A big thank you to their prevention educators for coming in our classes over the past two weeks! Next week, we will be working with all students on coping skills appropriate to all kinds of feelings and situations, and will be teaching growth mindset.
Erdkinder students have been thinking about high school options, and heard from special presenter, Mr. Jason Buelterman about the International Baccalaureate program at Johnson High. We are all anxiously awaiting to learn more about the upcoming Choice School application process for all high schools, and anticipate getting more information just before Winter Break. In the meantime, we're available during our Erdkinder Office Hours on Mondays and Fridays 1:55-2:25 via the Zoom link on their ItsLearning homeroom page.
If you or your student needs anything from us, please check out our school counseling website for more information or message us on ItsLearning.
Computer Science Week
Charles Ellis Montessori Academy is on the map celebrating Computer Science Week!
Everyone in the Ellis community is encouraged to join in the live streaming events hosted by Code.Org at https://code.org/codebytes. Beginning on Monday, December 7th, students will have access to their own coding logins, instructions, and activities located in itsLearning.
On Saturday, December 12th, and Sunday, December 13th from 12-2pm, the PTA will be on the Ellis sidewalk distributing Boosterthon t-shirts, information about the virtual Festival of Lights event on December 17th, and free ice pops to all students for meeting last year's Boosterthon pledge goal!
School-Wide Grace & Courtesy Emphasis
The Language for Identifying/Naming the Qualities of Trust and Honesty from the "Self- Awakened Child" series by Jonathan Wolff:
- When I say to myself, "I know I can learn to do this" -- even if it's something that is very hard for me to do-- I am Trusting myself.
- When someone promises me something and I feel sure they will keep their promise, I am Trusting them.
- When I do what I promise I will do, I am acting with Trust.
- When I tell myself the truth about what I think, how I feel or what I did, I am being Honest.
- When I tell someone the truth about what I think, how I feel or what I did, I am being Honest.
Join the Ellis PTA and Support Our Community!
We currently have 134 members who have joined the PTA. Our goal this year is 200. Just a reminder, members must join every year. Memberships do NOT carry over from previous years.
Please consider joining the PTA to support our Ellis community. Membership is only $7/person.
So far this school year, the PTA has done the following:
- Held a school supply drive for our Ellis families
- Funded the purchase of individual Montessori materials for our Primary students
- Sponsored teachers to attend an Anti-Racist, Anti-Bias Teaching in the Montessori Classroom seminar.
- Organized the Fall Festival Parade
- Organized the PTA Reflections contest
- Accepted teacher grant applications
- Funded improvements to the playground and multi-purpose room
- Sponsored the Read-A-Thon
- Organized the Angel Tree for families in our Ellis community
- Donated non-perishable food items to Emmaus House
- Supplied Nurse Chris with needed health and wellness supplies
- And so much more!
The PTA cannot do all this without your help and support. The easiest way to show your support is simply by joining the Ellis PTA.
Visit the PTA Website.
Ms. Ja'Dayia Coleman-Kennedy
Ms. Patricia Solomon-Brown