Principal's Corner #10
Thank you for all you do to make a difference.
Need your help
We are having issues closing our portable walls in the cafeteria and need your help. Please talk to all of our students about not leaning up against or pushing the portable walls during lunch. Thank you!
School Accountability Committee
At this point, I do not have one SAC teacher representative. I've updated the form so you can have the option to committ to one (or more) of the SAC meetings. We are required to have at least one teacher on our SAC. Thank you in advance for committing your time to our SAC. Our first SAC Meeting is this Thursday, October 25th 6:00-7:00.
From our Social Studies Liason, Natalie Morris
Join the Elementary Social Studies Group on Schoology with the following access code: 88BB7-7DJH4
Social Studies CMAS test (given in 4th grade on a 3 year cycle) is not a Social Studies test, but rather a reading and writing assessment with Social Studies content. It assesses critical thinking and problem solving skills. In CCSD, 27.2% of students are performing in the college and career readiness range. Social Studies needs to be integrated into other content areas at all grade levels so that students have more opportunities to think critically about and respond to different topics.
The CMAS test announcement of when schools will be administering the Ravens Social Studies test will be made in October.
CCSD is working to increase awareness and inclusivity with cultural ideas and concepts for indigenous students. See Natalie if you are interested in the Indigenous Voices class and/or implementation group. The class starts 11/6 and will be 6 sessions. Donna Chrisjohn is a great resource in this area and is available to present to students.
Check out this link to learn about and interact with the new content standards. They will be assessed starting in Spring of 2021. http://www.cde.state.co.us/standardsandinstruction
Field Trip ideas:
History Colorado Center– new Writings on the Land exhibit coming in December; also has online resources and artifact kits https://www.historycolorado.org/school-resources
Federal Reserve (Denver Mint) – newly remodeled
American Museum of Western Art
Joyous Chinese Cultural Center
Aurora History Museum
Colorado Social Studies Conference
March 15, 2019 at History Colorado Center
If you are interested in presenting, proposals are due November 5. See Natalie for information.
A new Ute Resource Guide is coming in November.
Brainpop Log In
For those of you using Brainpop, the login method has changed. All staff and students will use Brainpop within the “mycherrycreek” portal using the Brainpop tile. If you have any problems with login, please report to the I.S. helpdesk since this is now using your active directory login through CLEVER.
4th and 5th grade students will be taking the ACT Aspire the week of Nov. 12.
- Tuesday, October 23: PST Committee Meeting 3:00-3:40
- Wednesday, October 24: Safety/Guiding Coalition Committee Time 3:00-3:40
- Wednesday, October 24: Differentiation PD in Heidi Burris’ room: Depth & Complexity icons
- Thursday, October 25: Picture Retakes
- Thursday, October 25: School Accountability Committee Meeting 6-7pm
- Friday, October 26: Ashley and Katie out
- Friday, October 26: End of data collection
- Friday, October 26: Father/Daughter Dance 6pm
- Monday, October 29: Katie out
- Tuesday, October 30: Para-Educator Meeting 1:45
- Wednesday, October 31: Character Dress Up Day
- Wednesday, October 31: Principal Advisory Committee Time 3:00-3:40
- Thursday, November 1: ACT Aspire Proctor Training at 3:00
- Friday, November 2: Report Cards go home
- Wednesday, November 7: No Staff Meeting or Committee Time
- Wednesday, November 7: Veterans Day Assembly 8:15am, AM Assembly Schedule
- Monday, November 5-9: Conference Week and Scholastic Book Fair
Friday: 7:30-4:00 (No School)
- Wednesday, November 14: Cultural Connections, Holiday Potluck at 6pm
- Wednesday, November 21: Non-Contact Day
- Thursday, November 22-23: No School, Thanksgiving Break
Wednesday, November 28: Differentiation PD in Amy Bainbridge’s room: Depth & Complexity icons
Wednesday, December 5: Differentiation PD in Amy Bainbridge’s room: Kagan Silly Games – how to incorporate play into your classroom!
- Thursday, December 6: School Spelling Bee
- Monday, December 24-January 4: No School, Winter Break
- Monday, January 7: Non-Contact Day
- Monday, January 7, 8:00-12:00: Emergenetics is coming to COT