February 4th - February 8th
Monday, February 4th
- Harper Open Gym, 6:30-8pm
Thursday, February 7th
- PASS39 Parents' Night Out
- Location: The Bottle Shop in Wilmette Please note that The Bottle Shop does not accept credit cards or debit cards. This will be a cash only event.
- 7:30pm - 9:30pm
- RSVP: Pass39@wilmette39.org
Friday, February 8th
- Destination Imagination - Harper Teams T-Shirt Day!
Saturday, February 9th
- Destination Imagination Competition, 8:30am - 3:30pm. Awards Ceremony at 4pm, Highcrest Middle School
Monday, February 18th
- No School, President's Day
Wednesday, February 20th
- Harper Open House, 6:30pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
Please take a minute to complete a survey on our "Remote Learning Day. Remote Learning Day Survey for Parents
Please be conscientious when parking on near-by streets. Don't block residents' driveways or use their driveways to turn around your car.
Please note that we added two more days to the pajama drive. Students can bring pajamas through 2/8. Please read the detailed information in the "Community Service" section.
Ms. Ballard is our Green Team leader this year! Students are learning about using less water, using less gasoline, etc., we have been on a mission to collect PLASTIC FILM at Harper. As you might realize, construction paper, school supplies, and many other things arrive at Harper in plastic film. At home, there are many more things that arrive in plastic film, such as paper towels, produce, etc. This plastic film is disruptive to ecosystems.
The students are learning about how they can be stewards of the planet by using less of this plastic film, if possible, and when seeing it being ready to be thrown out, to intervene and collect it.
Thus far, we have collected TWELVE POUNDS of plastic film since school began!
The "Going Green Matters Fair” that is a part of Go Green Wilmette will take place at Michigan Shores on Sun., March 10th from 12-4 PM. It is a family-friendly event and promises to be informative and fun. Harper’s Green Team is preparing a poster for this event.
Board of Education Meeting
The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, January 28th at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Strategic Plan Updates
- Special Education Child Count
- 2019-2020 School Calendar
- 2019-2020 Student Fees
Monday, February 25th - Friday, March 1st
- Harper's Teacher Appreciation Week
Thursday, February 28th
- 2nd Grade Choral Concert
Friday, March 1st -- Save the Date!
- D39 Educational Foundation Family Bingo Night at Highcrest Middle School. Ticket sales benefit the D39 Educational Foundation Gripp Grants. Doors open 6pm
Sunday, March 10th
- Going Green Matters Fair-Michigan Shores 12-4pm
Monday, March 18th
- General PTO Meeting -- Special Presentation: Cyber Safety and Technology by Tony DeMonte and Officer Pavely, 9am Harper Auditorium
Monday, March 25th - Friday, March 29th
- No School, Spring Break!
Harper PTO 2019-2020 OPEN Positions
Below you will find the title of the role, number of people we need and a contact person should you have questions. NEW to the list: Movie Night.
Things are filling up so please consider contributing your time to one of the jobs below!
• President Elect-contact Carrie Diamond
• MOVIE NIGHT (2)
• Community Service (4)- contact Laura Geiger or Ari Holt
• Community Review Committee (2)- contact Sheetal Shah
• D39 Foundation Liaison- contact Meredith Ilg
• Kindergarten Enrichment- contact Heather Smith
• 2nd Grade Enrichment- contact Lisa Ginsberg
• 3rd Grade Enrichment- Tyra Leonard
• Environmental Affairs (1 or 2)- Aimee Stoltz
• Planters/Large pots at the front door of Harper
• Harper Hoedown (2 co-chairs and a general committee of 4/5)
• Hospitality (2)- contact Theresa Bittenbender
• Jr. Great Books (2)- contact Christine Blum or Kara Gillespie
• Nominating- contact Sissy Polacek
• Teacher/Staff Appreciation- contact Mandy Gibbons
• Spirit Wear (2)- contact Marni Sheehan
• SchoolKitz- contact Erica Lockwood
• Taffy Apples (2)- contact Adrianne McKnight
• Yearbook Editor (we still need 1)- contact Nikki Householder
• Yearbook Assistants (we need 1 more)- contact Amadee Scheele or Jesse Schirmang
For any other general questions regarding the Harper PTO, please contact Sissy Polacek
Girls On the Run!
- Harper Elementary will be hosting Girls on the Run again this spring for 3rd and 4th grade girls. The program runs for 8-10 weeks starting in March and ends with a 5K race. Practice is twice a week after school for 75-90 minutes. If interested, register at their website (gotrchicago.org). Registration is currently open and runs until 2/14.
- ALSO, we are in need of coaches for the girls. We need 2 full-time coaches for each team and the girls cannot participate without a coach. If interested, please sign up as well (gotrchicago.org).
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
- Mark your calendars, 4th graders! The Shedd Aquarium field trip is scheduled for Wednesday, February 6th all day. Please arrive to school on time as buses leave promptly at 9:00 am. Please send your child to school with a disposable lunch.
- Your K-4th Grade Students have participated in the final iGNITE! sponsored Mindfulness Program this week! Please see the PDF below for details of what they learned and any take home work/challenges. A link to complete an optional parent survey is also included.
Community Service Corner & News
Harper Pajama Drive -- EXTENDED DATES!
- From January 28th through Feb 8th, the Community Service Committee is collecting unused children's pajamas for Housing Opportunities for Women.
- Please consider donating and please visit http://www.how-inc.org for more information about HOW. Thank you!
- The PJs are assigned per grade as follows.
- K - size 3/4 (XXS)
- 1st - 5/6 (XS)
- 2nd - 7/8 (S)
- 3rd - 9/10 (M)
- 4th - 12 (L)
Connections for the Homeless:
"Throughout the year, the students have been learning about the struggles of poverty, hunger and homelessness in our community and worldwide through various service opportunities, visitors and discussions in the classroom. As one of our key service partners, Connections for the Homeless serves and catalyzes our community to end homelessness, one person at a time. They provide homelessness prevention, housing, and shelter and serve more than 35 communities in the greater Chicagoland region and help more than 1,100 individuals annually.
With the New Year here, and in the spirit of MLK day as we intend to empower individuals, strengthen communities, bridge barriers and create solutions to social problems we wanted to share an activity which can be used at home to continue these conversations at home through learning, reflection and sharing."
Please see the attached calendar of activities.
New Trier’s Student Dance Company presents “Kinesis Kids Dance Concert”. An interactive show for children ages 3-11 on February 9th.
Wilmette Baseball Association has opened registration for spring leagues.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts “Meet the Lincolns” February 17th and "Design Your Dream Home" on March 17th.
Wilmette Park District hosts Kindergarten Enrichment Open House February 20th, 6:00-8:00 pm
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Kids Against Hunger service project on Saturday, March 16th.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children ages 3-14 are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
4th & 5th grade girls
Trevian Girls Softball Association hosts fastpitch softball clinics/evaluations for girls ages 9-10.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org