CBHT Religious School
Newsletter - 5/30/16
Hooray for all our amazing students (and their equally awesome parents!)
Mitzvah Goreret Mitzvah! Our final Mitzvah Chain Ceremony of the year!
In loving memory of our dear friend, Lotte Myerson
Last year, when the seventh graders in our school were studying the Holocaust, Lotte (who escaped Nazi Germany as a teenager, along with her family) said, "I used the ask the quesion: 'Where were the decent Germans?' And then I decided to answer the question by always choosing to be the decent person." Lotte was that and more. She dedicated her life to social justice in this country. Every opportunity she got, she would speak to children about the dangers of apathy in our society. Her visit had a profound impact on these young teens.
The photos accompanying this post are of Lotte showing photos of her childhood in Germany to last year's Kesher class -- and of Lotte at the age of three in her childhood home of Darmstadt, Germany.
Lotte was keen on attending Family Services and was delighted to be led in prayer by our students and made a point of pulling me aside at oneg to tell me how wonderful it was to see our students on the bimah and how much hope they gave her for our Jewish future.
If the mitzvah chain represents our community and our collective strength, wisdom, and willingness to do good in the world, Lotte was a beautiful, strong, and powerful link in that chain, and will always remain so.
z'l. May Lotte and Seymour's memories continue to bless the world through us.
Upcoming Events! Mark Your Calendars now!
Please come join us for services over the summer months! And mark down September 11th for the first day of Religious School 2016-17.
- Friday June 3rd - Saturday June 4th - Family services at 6:30 p.m. and Bennett Slosman's Bar Mitzvah
- June 10th - 11th - Lindsay Blum's Bat Mitzvah weekend
- June 17th - 18th - Justine Gottschalk's Bat Mitzvah weekend
- July 22nd - 23rd - Julia Michael's Bat Mitzvah weekend
- Sunday, September 11th - Religious School Resumes/ Congregational Picnic following dismissal at noon. Details to come!
- Oct. 7th - 8th - Jonathan Gilreath's Bar Mitzvah weekend