Which liquid produces the most gas?
By : Maisoon Zazay
Which beverage produces the most gas in your stomach?
My hypothesis is that the Coke will produce the most stomach gas. Why, because studies show that caffeine can produce stomach gas. It's not common but can accur most of the time. If you drink large amounts of caffeine or soda then it will accur. It depends on the way your body reacts to caffeine. If you are sensitive to caffeine then even taking a small amount can lead to stomach gas.
- Plastic bottles
- Orange juice
- Heating pad
- Measuring tools
The amount of gas being produced.
The amount of beverage and teaspoons.
- Pour an equal amount of each beverage into separate bottles.
- Mix an equal amount of teaspoons of vinegar into each beverage. The vinegar will represent your stomach acid.
- Blow up each balloon for each bottle and then release the air. This will help because it will make the balloon more stretched out.
- Place the open end of the balloon to each opening of the bottle.
- Place bottle on a warm heating pad.
- Observe the balloons as the liquid begins to heat.
In the first trial the Coke had the most stomach gas. Then it was the Sprite by just a little less stomach gas. The milk was third and the orange juice didn't have any stomach gas. In the second trial the Coke still had the most stomach gas, then it was the Sprite. Surprisingly the orange juice was next and the milk didn't have any at all. The last trial was the same thing as the first.
My hypothesis was correct. The Coke had the most stomach gas. I would like to test different beverages and see how much stomach gas are in those beverages. I would also like to do some more research about different liquids and beverages and see what other beverages would have stomach gas. I would also like to see if the amount of vinegar affects the amount of stomach gas. Also if the amount of beverage would affect the amount of stomach gas.