Oak Creek Elementary
Coyote News - September 9, 2022
Oak Creek Families,
We have had a great week and are enjoying the cooling temperatures! I hope you and your families are making the most of the beautiful weather. Remember to read all of the information below, including the PTO Corner to find out about how to best support your child(ren) and about important events coming up!
To make sure you see everything, click on this message so that it opens in your web browser. If you have any questions, please see the FAQ section below, or feel free to reach out to myself or Terese (Tess) Kristoffersson at email@example.com.
In This Message:
Updated in Every Edition:
- Principal's Message
- Dates to Remember
- PTO Corner
NEW In This Edition:
- Technology Agreement (Required Annually)
- Friendly Reminder From the Front Office
- New Application for School Volunteers
- Fall i-Ready Info
- Recognitions and Observations in September
- Arrival and Dismissal Routines
- School Advisory Committee (SAC)
LOSD District News:
- "I Love Lake Oswego" Clothing Closet
- Subscribe to Lake Oswego Schools App
Dates to Remember!
October 13: School Picture Day
October 14: No School - Statewide Inservice Day
October 21: No School - Teacher Work Day
October 27-28: Parent-Teacher Conferences
October 18: Back to School Night
Technology Agreement - Required Annually
- A parent or guardian must provide consent for each student to use District software and resources
- A Parent/Guardian and each Student must agree to the Acceptable Use Policy
- Families must choose to enroll or decline participation in the Device Damage and Loss Protection Program ($20 annual fee per student).
- Going home with a friend or any other new person
- Not taking the bus home (if they normally do)
- Taking the bus home (if they normally don't)
- Walking home
This will help make sure that everyone that needs the correct new information will receive it in time.
New Application for School Volunteers
For the safety of children, volunteers are required to have an approved background check when volunteering in schools.
To help streamline compliance with state and school board policies, which require that all volunteers have background checks and knowledge of other board policies -- as well as state-mandated proof of vaccination (or a qualified exemption) -- we are introducing a new all-in-one volunteer application and approval process through ou Raptor Visitor Management System.
Submitting an online application initiates the background check process. Once submitted, applicants will receive an email upon approval of your background check and you will be given access through the onsite Raptor System at all schools. Please allow up to three weeks to process your approval.
Volunteers need to submit only one application for volunteering in all LOSD schools. Applications need to be submitted annually to capture changes in background checks, policies, and/or vaccination requirements.
Thank you for applying promptly, and for your service to our students and schools. We are grateful for our volunteers.
This Fall, all students in Grades 1-5 will complete two online i-Ready assessments in class. One is for math and the other is for reading. i-Ready is a diagnostic assessment that will help us determine your child’s strengths and areas for growth, personalize their learning, and monitor their progress throughout the school year. i-Ready allows us to meet your child where they are and provides us with data to inform and tailor instruction to accelerate growth. This is the first of three i-Ready assessments we give each year. In Lake Oswego, the Fall i-Ready window is open through September 16.
Arrival and Dismissal Routines
Families are welcome to drop students off beginning at 8:00 am, where students can line up in with their class in physically distanced lines. Students will be let into the building starting at 8:10, and class begins promptly at 8:20. Students will continue to enter their classrooms through assigned entrances (see below). We are asking that parents and caregivers do not park and walk their child/ren in. We will have many warm and welcoming adults who will be there to support students through the arrival process.
MTWF: 8:20 a.m. - 2:40 p.m.
TH: 8:20 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Click here for the full schedule on the district website.
Assigned Location for Lining Up and Entering the Building:
- Kindergarten and 1st Graders: At the front entrance under the overhang
- 3rd and 4th Graders: Near the garden area (to the left of the front entrance)
- 2nd and 5th Graders: Near the West door to the building near the bike racks (to the right of the front entrance)
Please Note for All Grade Levels: If your student is tardy (arrives after 8:20), please have them go through the front doors to the office to check in.
Parent Drop Off Notes:
In order to help with student safety and traffic flow in the lot and the neighborhood, please:
- avoid arriving early.
- pay close attention to staff.
- pay close attention to pedestrians in the lot and neighboring streets.
- if driving, come north up Kingsgate only, then through the parking lot.
- encourage children who can to unbuckle car seats and get out on their own.
- support your children who need assistance unbuckling.
- say goodbye quickly and move safely out of the lot.
All busses will arrive at the Melrose gate. Students will get off the bus at 8:10. We will have staff there to greet students and walk them to their teacher. Bus routes can be viewed here: LOSD 22-22 Bus Routes
Walkers should arrive between 8:00-8:10, but not before. Parents will need to walk students to school. Only the Kingsgate Crosswalk will have a duty. Please remember to leave your dogs at home for safety reasons.
- Students will be walked by an adult to the the bus pick up area (on Melrose) or the parent pick up area (in front of the school).
- Cars can begin lining up at 2:35.
- If you are meeting your child on foot, you can wait in one of the marked locations for your child to walk to meet you, (masks are not required, but strongly encouraged).
- Please read below for specifics for each grade level:
SAC: School Advisory Committee!
We are looking for new School Advisory Committee (SAC) members to begin next school year (2022-23). If you are interested in serving, please complete the application (see link below), and send it to Principal Barb Keeton at firstname.lastname@example.org
The SAC serves as a collaborative forum to advise the principal and/or school board on specific initiatives or priorities as needed by school or district leadership. For more information on the School Advisory Committee (SAC), please click here.
Recognitions, Observations in September
We have a lot to celebrate and acknowledge this month. In particular, the district and all schools will be bringing attention to National Suicide Prevention and Hispanic Heritage Month. All teachers and staff are encouraged to find ways to recognize these and other awareness opportunities to help create a culture of belonging in our schools.
- National Suicide Prevention Month is September, and National Suicide Prevention Week, September 10-16, is a campaign in the United States to inform and engage health professionals and the general public about suicide prevention and warning signs of suicide. World Suicide Prevention Day, September 10, provides worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides, with various activities around the world since 2003.
- Hispanic Heritage Month, September 15 - October 15, pays tribute to the generations of Hispanic Americans who have positively influenced and enriched our nation and society.
- Deaf Awareness Month is intended to increase public awareness about the issues affecting deaf people and deaf culture as a whole.
- Labor Day, September 5, is a federal holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September to honor and recognize the American labor movement and the work and contributions of laborers to the development and achievements of the United States.
- International Literacy Day, celebrated each year on September 8, was declared by UNESCO on 26 October 1966.
- International Day of Peace, also officially known as World Peace Day, is a United Nations-sanctioned holiday observed annually on September 21.
- International Day of Sign Languages is celebrated annually across the world on September 23 every year along with International Week of the Deaf. This is the same date that the World Federation of the Deaf was established in 1951.
- Rosh Hashanah, September 25-26, literally meaning "head [of] the year", is the Jewish New Year. The biblical name for this holiday is Yom Teruah, literally "day of shouting or blasting." Recommended accommodation: Avoid scheduling major academic deadlines, events, or activities. If planning an event, provide food accommodations (Kosher restrictions apply)
If we've missed a recognition opportunity, please email email@example.com.
Message from PTO!
Hello Oak Creek,
SAVE THE DATE! The Oak Creek Carnival is Friday, October 21st. As we prepare for festive fun, we need your help. If you are willing to be part of the committee, please sign up. We will work with you to find an opportunity that is a fit for you and your availability. You can also use this link to volunteer at our annual Coyote Day, to take place this spring.
Hey, Google, Intel, and Nike Employees! The Oak Creek PTO is signed up for benevity.com. Please engage with Benevity to invest in your community.
Calling all other employees! Your company may also give to the PTO if you spent / spend time providing community service at any time during this calendar year. This may provide the PTO for up to $10 per hour for each you teach or volunteer! If you are interested in this opportunity, please let the PTO help you get started.
As a reminder, we have two ongoing fundraisers that you can participate in at no additional cost to you:
When shopping on Amazon, visit smile.amazon.com and select “Oak Creek Elementary PTO” as your charity. Make all purchases through smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com You can even change the app setting on your phone. That’s all. You get your items delivered in 2 days, Oak Creek receives 0.5% of every purchase total.
Before your next stop at Fred Meyer, please follow the instructions to add “Oak Creek Elementary PTA” as your community organization. (created when the PTO operated as a PTA) Make all purchases using your Shopper’s Card number and a donation will be applied to Oak Creek.
Oak Creek Elementary PTO Executive Committee
Kirstin Martin / President
Amanda Schade / Treasurer VP
Samantha McCaskey / Assistant Treasurer VP
Page Donnelly/ Membership VP
Brooke Mattern / Communications VP
Holli Hansford / Co-Events and Enrichment VP
Barry Hansford / Co-Events and Enrichment VP
Steve Farnham / Co-Fundraising VP
Heather Shoyer / Co-Fundraising VP
Lauren Terpstra / Parental Involvement VP
Rachel Wilde / Secretary VP
Teressa Raine / Sustainability VP
LOSD District News
"I Love Lake Oswego" Clothing Closet Open to Entire Community!
I Love Lake Oswego Clothing Closet has received an overwhelming amount of support and donation during the pandemic. We want to give back to our community and encourage our community to lean on us not for just hard times, but for up cycling, sustainability, and for our environment. In the past the closet was just for students, and since the pandemic we have opened our doors to anyone within our community.
Visit https://www.ilovelakeoswego.com for more information.
Parents-guardians who have concerns about a student’s well-being are encouraged to reach out to their principal, and to maintain strong lines of communication and partnership between students, families, staff, and other resources.
SafeOregon is also an effective way to report a tip regarding safety threats or potential acts of violence to our students or schools.
(Students should also be aware that intentionally providing a false report is a serious offense.)
About Oak Creek
Reach out to us if you have any questions or need anything!
- Principal; Barb Keeton: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administrative Assistant; Terese Kristoffersson: email@example.com
- Administrative Assistant; Tanya Goodwin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: 55 Kingsgate Rd., Lake Oswego, OR 97035
Interested in OCE Spirit Wear? Check out this website sponsored by our PTO! OCE Spirit Wear
Are you looking for something from an early edition? View our archive on our website!