NEW YORK CITY
Foods & Influence
Black & White Cookie
- Soft sponge like cake shortbread.
- Iced with 1/2 vanilla fondant and 1/2 Chocolate fondant.
- Utica, New York is the earliest know place to make these cookies.
The Big Apple
NYC Style Cheesecake
- Mostly made with heavy cream, cream cheese, eggs and egg yolk.
- Rich & Smooth
- "Jewish Style"
- Light brown exterior
- Thin crust.
- Often sold in wide, one piece slices.
- Light tomato sauce.
- Hand tossed.
- Mozzarella cheese.
- "Street snack"
Eastern European Jewish Cuisine
Most popular Jewish/Kosher restaurants:
- Gottlieb's restaurant.
- Cafe Edison.
New York City Street Vendors
-Restaurants in the form of trucks or carts.
New York's Most Popular:
- The Halal Guys (Middle Eastern)
- Wafels and dinges (Belgian desserts)
- Hallo Berlin Germany Food Stands (German)
- Biryani Cart (Indian)