COVID-19 SJCS Updates
3/18/20 Update from Mrs. Stokes
This update is to inform you that SJCS will be following the state directive for school closure with expected return to school on April 15.
Please complete the device survey if you have not already done so. We will share information about access to free services for WiFi on our Covid-19 newsletter. Please bookmark this newsletter link as we will continue to update it.
We will have more information regarding processes and expectations for distance learning when our teachers return next week.
Please hug your children for us. We miss all of you and are keeping our community and nation in prayer as we wade through this unprecedented time in history.
Saint Joseph, pray for us.
3/18/20 Update from Father Jeremiah
Below you will find a letter from our beloved bishop, Most Rev. John Noonan, regarding the temporary suspension of public gatherings at our parishes until further notice, beginning at the end-of-business today, March 18th. This decision has been made by the bishops in Florida in cooperation with federal, state, and local authorities as part of our effort to “flatten the curve” with regard to the spread of COVID-19. The bishop’s letter contains concrete guidelines and suggestions for spiritual nourishment during this time. Below, please see the three main guidelines and then St. Joe’s initial game-plan in response to them.
- All public Masses, liturgical celebrations, and parish/ministry gatherings are suspended until further notice.
- Funerals and weddings will only be held when necessary and then limited to immediate family members who are not sick or have not been recommended to self-quarantine.
- Priests will celebrate daily Mass for the needs of their people, even though they cannot be physically present.
- Penance and Anointing of the Sick will be administered to those in need, but with the safety precautions described in the letter.
St. Joe’s Action Plan:
- Daily and Weekend Masses: We plan on video-recording daily and Sunday Masses and posting them to our social media pages and YouTube via unique YouTube URLs. We will post an expected schedule tomorrow.
- Offertory: We will post a WeShare link with Masses for weekly offertory (and offertory can also be mailed in or dropped off to the black secure mailbox outside the parish office (thank you for your generosity during this time). https://st-joe.weshareonline.org/
- Offices: While the offices will be operational, the staff will be available to assist you by phone or email only to aid in required “Social Distancing.” Please feel free to call the parish office at 321-727 1565 to speak with a staff member.
- Confessions: We are working on a plan to provide a safe way to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Please stay tuned to our social media for further details.
We thank you for your patience during this time and I know that each of us and all of us together will bind our hearts in Christian love and with mutual prayer stay connected to one another and to Our Lord. Please disseminate this information as widely as possible, especially to those who don’t use electronic means of communication, and stay tuned for further details! See ya on the Web and through YouTube! And remember those reassuring words from St. Padre Pio that I shared with you this past weekend: when we have acted responsibly and with prudence, “Pray, hope, and don’t worry! Worry is useless…”
Schedule Update 3/16/20
Hello SJCS Families,
I hope you are making the best of this strange situation we have all found ourselves to be in. Know that it is important to stay calm and to act prudently. Your response to this situation will guide your child/ren as to how to they should feel as well. Until we gather back as one, please remember the power of prayer, to calm our minds, and to call for God’s mercy and healing.
Information is still coming at a rapid pace. It is our hope to share the information below to answer any questions that may be circulating until we have more information. Please see the following schedule updates with the information we have at hand. Please continue to refer to our newsletters for the most up to date information.
1. 3/16-3/27 – Updated Spring Break. Please do not visit the campus during this time and practice social distancing while off campus. Online instruction is not required during this time period.
2. Mass – As usual until further notice. The use of the chalice has been suspended, as has holding hands during the Our Father and shaking hands at the Sign of Peace. People who feel that they may be ill, or who have a compromised immune system are not obliged to attend and it may be in the best interest of charity refrain from attendance in these circumstances.
3. 3/23-3/27 – Teachers may report back to their classrooms to gather materials needed and prepare for online instructions, should we need it. If families need to pick up materials left at school, this should be arranged during this time period. Pick up is available during normal school hours only.
4. 3/30 – Students report back to school (update as of 3/16/20). We will communicate with you if this changes.
5. At this time, all planned events should be considered postponed until further notice, including the elementary drama play, NJHS Inductions and the Reenactment of the Last Supper & Stations of the Cross. Rescheduling of these and any other affected events will occur, if possible, when we have more information. Any necessary calendar adjustments will be made after instruction commences and those dates will be communicated at that time.
6. Registration will be extended and late fees will not be assessed. If you have not already, please notify the school office of your intent to return or not return via email by April 1st.
Lord, help me
Be prepared, but not anxious.
Be aware, but not desperate.
Be vigilant, but not in fear.
Be joyful, but not clueless.
Be faithful, but not careless.
Lord, be my hope and strength. ~Fr. Goyo Hidalgo
Update from Mrs. Stokes 3/13/20
Students will not report to school for two weeks. Students should be prepared to report back on March 30. There will be no instruction during this time period. In the event that this closure continues beyond March 30, we will commence with virtual instruction at that point. Please stay healthy, pray for healing and stay in touch.
Dear St. Joseph parishioners & friends,
After much deliberation and consultation with staff and pertinent parties involved, I have made the decision to postpone this year’s carnival. Erring on the side of an abundance of caution with regards to concerns about COVID-19, we want to make sure that we are acting prudently regarding public and parishioner health. While I know this postponement might be disappointing for some, we believe that the decision is a prudent one at the moment.
I want to take the opportunity to thank wholeheartedly our amazing carnival committee for working tirelessly to make this year’s carnival an event to remember! They have been and continue to be amazing and I am so excited for us to take all of this enthusiasm and hard work and translate it into our future carnival! We are so blessed with all of the people that God has given us here and I can’t wait to get back underway with planning!
Finally, please note that current Mass, office, and school operational schedules remain the same. We will continue to encourage and maintain common-sense health measures and we will keep you updated on any changes! Let’s positively encourage one another with prayer and good works!
p.s. Confirmation is not canceled. The Confirmation mass will begin, as planned, at 10:00 am on March 14th. Congratulations to all those being Confirmed!