What to Know About Substance Use

Opioids, Hallucinogens and PCP, Cannabis, and Inhalents

Do I Have a Substance Use Disorder?

Maybe. If you’re using more and more, if you crave it, if you want to cut down or control your use better, if you spend too much time getting it, using it, and recovering from it … yes. If using is causing problems with work, home, or relationships … yes. If you’re doing dangerous things like driving under the influence … yes. If it’s causing physical or psychological problems and you use anyway … yes. If your tolerance of it is increasing … yes. If you have withdrawal symptoms when you’re not using … yes. (Nolen-Hoeksema, 2014, p. 400).

Myths You Might Believe

True or False?

It’s safer to use prescription drugs than street drugs.

FALSE. Still dangerous. Still deadly. (Dryden-Edwards, R., 2014).

Inhalants aren’t dangerous.

FALSE. “Using inhalants can cause serious, irreversible brain damage, and even death”

(Dryden-Edwards, R., 2014, para. 7).

Marijuana is a safe drug.

FALSE. It may be common, but it's not "safe"! It causes increased or irregular heartbeats, chronic respiratory illnesses including emphysema, and an increased risk of cancer (Nolen-Hoeksema, 2014).

Everyone needs help now and then. The following links and phone numbers can get you the assistance you need.

Find alcohol and drug abuse treatment or mental health treatment facilities and programs around the country at findtreatment.samhsa.gov.

Find treatment programs in your state that treat addiction and dependence on opioids, such as heroin or prescription pain relievers, at dpt2.samhsa.gov/treatment/.

Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-TALK (8255)
TTY: 1-800-799-4889
Website: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Your call is routed to the nearest crisis center in the national network of more than 150 crisis centers.

SAMHSA's National Helpline

1-800-662-HELP (4357)
TTY: 1-800-487-4889

Website: www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline

Also known as, the Treatment Referral Routing Service, this Helpline provides 24-hour free and confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, and recovery in English and Spanish.

(Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, n.d.)

What to Look for in a Therapist

When you’re looking for a professional, it’s important to find someone who is licensed. Specialists who are Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) or Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) mean you are in the right place. (Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals, n.d.)


Dryden-Edwards, R. (2014, June) Teen Drug Abuse Statistics, Facts, and Symptoms.
Retrieved from http://www.medicinenet.com/teen_drug_abuse_pictures_slideshow/article.htm
MentalHealth.gov. (n.d.). Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders. Retrieved from http://www.mentalhealth.gov/what-to-look-for/substance-abuse/

Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP). (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.mcbap.com/

Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (2014). (Ab)normal Psychology (6th Ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n.d.) Retrieved from