November 20 REMOTE Learning Updates
November 23-December 4
November 23-December 4 Remote Learning Confirmed
- It is confirmed that Monday, November 23, 2020, all students, PreK-12, will be in the required continuous learning model through Friday, December 4, 2020. Our intent at that time will be to transition back to a hybrid learning model if the local health data is consistent with that decision.
- It is important to remember the required continuous learning model is not like the voluntary model followed this past spring, nor is it like the hybrid model asynchronous days.
Westwood Curbside Meal Pick Up
- Nutrition Services will expand curbside meal pickup service beginning, Monday, November 30. Westwood was added to this list.
- Scheduled pick up sites will operate from 11:00am - 1:00 pm every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as long as we are in the continuous learning model.
- Please click on this, "Curbside Pick up Link" for more information on sites' pick up schedules:
Westwood Grade Level Schedules and Teacher Communication
District communication sent sample elementary schedules. Each building used those as a starting place, but needed to make adjustments to times when specials are offered for each grade level and when specific instruction would take place.
All of Westwood's K-5 grade classroom and specials schedules are finalized and will be emailed by teachers.
K-5 classroom teachers' emails will include the following:
- Westwood classroom daily schedule
- Zoom Links
- Office hours explanation
- First day expectations
How does Remote Attendance Work? Glad you asked...
- Attendance is required and will be recorded in Infinite Campus. Daily attendance will be based on whether a student accesses and engages in synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
- If there are concerns about engagement in synchronous and/or asynchronous activities, then the teacher or the front office will reach out to families. If you have concerns about your own child’s attendance or engagement please contact their teacher or Joel Martin.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
- M, T, TH, F attendance will be taken by teachers as this is live synchronous learning.
- Wednesday-parents and/or guardians will need to check in their student(s) through Infinite Campus.
- It is not an expectation to complete independent work on Wednesdays. Instead, the expectation is to engage in the work. If teachers do not see evidence of engaging, then they may mark, "no participation" in Infinite Campus. This doesn't change the parent/guardian morning check in though.
Wednesday Asynchronous Learning Expectations
Please continue to have your students access their teachers' resources on asynchronous at home Wednesdays for independent work.
Wednesday Only - Suggested times for asynchronous engagement learning by grade level:
20-25 minutes of reading
15-20 minutes of writing
20-25 minutes of math
25-30 minutes of reading
25-30 minutes of writing
25-30 minutes of math
Westwood Warrior Challenge Celebrations!
- This is a huge shout out to all of our students, their parents, guardians, extended family, and community!
- Over $28,000 was raised and I hope you had the opportunity to celebrate via live zoom this morning.
- We have also had numerous students, "Chalk the Playground" with artistic creations.
- Our school/community partnership is crucial to supporting each other.
- It truly does take a village to raise a child!
Westwood Leadership Roles Interviews
- The transition to remote learning has definitely adjusted our plans concerning leadership roles interviewing, completing, "You're hired!" forms, and then training.
- Some leadership roles interviews are completed and "You're hired!" forms may have been sent home.
- Our Leadership Roles action team will complete all remaining leadership roles interviews by Tuesday, November 24th and then remaining, "You're Hired!" forms will also be emailed home.
- We will schedule all leadership roles training via zoom after December 4th, 2020.
Questions, Comments, Concerns
Westwood Elementary Principal
2920 NW Ninth Street
Ankeny, Iowa 50023
School Phone: 515-965-9690
Fax: 515-965-9693Email: email@example.com
Ankeny Community School District does not discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, ancestry, political party preference, military affiliation, socioeconomic status, or familial status. Inquiries and grievances may be directed to Kenneth Morris, Jr., Equity Director, 306 S.W. School Street, P.O. Box 189, Ankeny, Iowa 50021-0189, (515) 965-9600, firstname.lastname@example.org; or the Iowa Civil Rights Commission, Grimes State Office Building, Des Moines, IA, 50319-0201, (515) 281-4121; or the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 500 West Madison Street, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661.
Confidentiality notice: This communication and any attachments are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not review, use, disclose, distribute, copy or forward this email. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete/destroy any and all copies of the original message.