Term 1 Week 4
Nau mai, Haere mai ki Uenuku
We thank you for your understanding when we had to postpone the Getting to Know You appointments last week. Look out for an email from your child's home group teacher this week giving some options for touching base with us in the meantime, while we set new dates for later this term.
Thank you too for your help in making drop off and pick up times go so smoothly. The children are coping very well with saying goodbye at the gate, and are experts now at the morning routine of hand washing, signing in, sorting their book bags and helping set up the classroom by putting out the chairs. Our new entrant parents are welcome to accompany their child to the patio outside the classroom until they feel confident enough to walk down alone or with a friend. There is always one member of our team at the gate and one in the classroom to greet the children.
At home time we appreciate you waiting at the top of the drive so that we can see you clearly - this makes it so much easier for us to identify you all behind your masks! Thank you!
Hybrid Learning and 'Just In Case' bags
We have been working hard over the last week to set up 'Hybrid Learning' systems across school, including in Uenuku. This will enable all students to still access the same learning experiences be they at home or at school if anyone (students, whanau or staff) has to self isolate for any reason. Online learning will be part of this.
This week we have started to implement this in class so that the children find any transition between school and home as smooth as possible.
Yesterday we sent home a 'Just in Case' bag with each child so that they have some basic equipment to use at home if needed. Please check the bag for the notices that give you information to allow you to access the online systems we will be using.
Term 1 reminders
- Students need to wear a wide brimmed sun hat outside everyday in terms 1 and 4. Thank you for sending these to school so promptly. We keep the hats in class overnight unless you request otherwise.
- Please apply sunblock to your child every morning, even on those grey days! We will help your child to reapply sunblock at lunchtime. If you would prefer your child to use their own sunblock rather than the school's please send some to school in a named bottle.
- We encourage the tamariki to drink lots of water throughout the day, especially during the warm weather. Please male sure that your child has their water bottle everyday.
- Library Days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please make sure that your child brings their books back at least once a week so that they can change them.
- Poetry books come home on Fridays and should be returned on the following Monday.