The Wolf Word
Washington School Newsletter: April 2019
Important School Dates
4/10 - Parent-Teacher Conferences from 5-7pm
4/15-4/19 - Spring Recess - No School
4/24 - Early Dismissal/Professional Development (11:30 Pick up)
The grades are as follows:
Kindergarten 30.9% chronically absent : (
1st Grade 14.6% chronically absent : (
2nd Grade 13.6% chronically absent : (
3rd Grade 8.5% chronically absent ; ) Way to go Grade 3!!!!
4th Grade 11.3% chronically absent : (
5th Grade 8.0% chronically absent ; ) Way to go Grade 5!!!
Student of the Month
- Kindergarten: Brandon Santiago, Tatyana Maxwell, Kevin Pomaquiza, Christian Jones-Sanders, Erika Chmelko
- 1st Grade: Lovelee Cintron, Lianny Ramirez, Serenity Perez, Daniela Garcia
- 2nd Grade: Sharaz Ghafur, Estephanie Bustos Jimenez, Alixa Villatoro, William Martinez, Jeanne Zumba
- 3rd Grade: Yasmin Quinones, Taino Diaz, Rhianna Roscoe, Selena Duenas. Kimberly DeLosSantos
- 4th Grade: Laila Hoosain, Emmanuel Perez, Yadary Perez-Cruz, Genesis Montoya
- 5th Grade: Jada Mangroo, Nicholas Montana, Amber Balram, Llenson Pomaquiza
Kindergarten - Red,
1st - Orange,
2nd - Yellow,
4th - Blue,
5th - Purple
Friday, April 26th - Twinning Day. Find a friend, sibling, or coworker and plan the same outfit as them. Can be triplets and quadruplets too!
ELA: Please continue tapping and reading CVC words, breaking apart words by each individual sounds, writing letters neatly and trying to write a complete sentence. Here is a video to show how to sound tap with your child: Sound Tapping
Math: Please continue to count from 1-100 by 1’s and 10’s, naming shapes and their attributes, comparing numbers and adding and subtracting within 10. Here is a video for math fact practice; PreSchool Math Fact Practice
Thank you to everyone who participated in our school fundraiser!
ELA: First grade has started Unit 3 in Wonders. We are beginning to sequence stories from beginning to end. We have been studying about how to measure time and how plants grow. We are also focusing on long vowel sounds. See this video: Vowel Sounds
Math: We are finishing up measuring with nonstandard units. We will begin place value next. Here is a link to help with place value. See this video: Place Value
Math: The students have enjoyed learning all about 2D and 3D shapes. They did an amazing job looking at the attributes for each and learning how to explain the differences. Ask them to identify 3D shapes around them! We will start our last math unit adding and subtracting up to 1,000.
Look out for Field Trip Permission Slips being sent home on April 8th for our May 1st Field Trip to the Hartford Yard Goats baseball game.
ELA: We are working on Unit 3 of Wonders which is all about Being Unique! We've read about different animals and their characteristics, and now we're reading about different leaders and how they can make a difference. We also have discussed problems and solutions and cause and effect.
Math: We have been enjoying working with fractions! Soon we will start our next unit which includes rounding and estimating.
3 Byron had the luck of the Irish this March! Click here to see photos and videos: https://goo.gl/sZJvNA
ELA: We are about halfway through our 3rd unit in Wonders which focuses on author's point of view and how people can make a difference in their communities. We are wrapping up our poetry unit and will be celebrating with a publishing party on April 1st! Ask your child to see their poetry. Some poems were selected to be submitted to the Silas Bronson Library's 44th Annual Poetry Contest. Good luck to all of our contestants!
Math: We finished up our unit of fractions. Fractions will pop up in other things for the rest of year however we are moving on to measurement. We are currently working on area and perimeter. We will be moving onto line plots and measurement conversions shortly.
Math: We are currently focusing on solving multi-step word problems. Students must first be able to translate the word problem into an equation. Then they apply a strategy that we have worked on at some point throughout the year in order to solve. The great thing about math is that there are many ways to solve just one problem! We will be learning about grouping symbols to help us solve equations in the correct order!
Science: Half of the fifth grade just got to enjoy 5 days of StarBase, learning all kinds of science HANDS ON!!!
Here at school, we have been learning all about matter! The states of matter, how to measure matter properties of matter and physical and chemical changes on matter! During the 4th quarter, we will be looking at Earth and Human activities. How can groups of people use science to help protect the resources here on Earth?
- GYM: State Fitness testing in grades 3-5 this month! Please get your kids playing outside and keep them active!
- LIBRARY:Calling all artist! To celebrate Children’s Book Week (May 2‐8), the library will be holding a bookmark design contest. The bookmark must be student’s original work. Each grade (K-5) will have a winner and the winning book mark will be passed out to students at the beginning of May. Here is a link to the template page.
RULES of the Project:
1. Bookmarks must be made by hand, not on the computer, and must fit within the bookmark template.
2. Bookmarks must be handed in no later than APRIL 20th.
3. Have fun and be creative!
- COMPUTERS: Click here to go to Ms. Williams page!
PBIS: Students need to achieve 90% or better on Class Dojo in order to participate in the monthly reward. The monthly reward for April is Extra Recess. Students will be able to have extra recess with their friends on the Playscape. We encourage students to be safe, respectful and responsible in all areas of our school. Being safe at recess means being aware of activities going on around you and no play fighting. Please remind your student to be safe at recess. Thank you for your support!