October Week 3
What We've Learned This Week
1. Letters F, V, and O
Phonics: We focused on sounding the letters F, V, and O through repetition and showing pictures of words that begin with the letters F, V, and O.
2. Dictionary Words
They colored, cut, and pasted pictures of words with initial F, V, and O. Then they organized them alphabetically on their dictionary notebooks.
3. Sight Words
4. Constructing Words & Rhyming
They made words from the at, in, and an family (e.g. cat, bat, fan, man, tin, Fin) on their white boards.
1. Numbers 41-50
- They wrote numbers 41-50 on their math journal
- They decomposed numbers 41-50 using counters (ones & tens counters).
2. Estimation & measurement
They estimated and measured items in the classroom using rulers.
3. Skip counting by 10s
- We reviewed major holidays observed during the year.
- We discussed the traditions of Halloween and every student shared what they like about Halloween.
Insects vs. Spiders
- We reviewed the differences between insects and arachnids
- They made insects or spiders using Styrofoam balls.
- They were introduced to bats
- They the about body parts
Fine Motor Skills
They practiced writing uppercase and lowercase F, V, and O on their writing journals and on their Zaner Bloser Handwriting book.
Questions to Ask your Child
· What does the letter F o V make?
· What does the letter O make?
· Name some of the words that begin with the letter F, V, or O.
· What rhymes with cat, can, and tin?
Skip count by 10s to 100.
What do people do in Halloween?
· What’s the difference between insects and spiders?
· Are bats birds or mammals? Why?
- PTO Pizza/ Casual Friday
- If your child doesn’t eat pizza, please pack lunch for him/her.
- The students come to school in casual apparel.
- The costume & accessories should be packed in bag labeled with the child’s name.
- Each costume piece should be labeled with the child’s name.
- No weapon toys ( toy guns and swords are not allowed)
- The Spooktacular Halloween showcase (Halloween musical) is from 1:30-2:15.
- Trunk or Treat is from 2:15-3:15