February 8, 2021
Dear Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion families,
I hope everyone is well and staying safe. Incredibly, even with the Pandemic seemingly never ending and it feels like we are moving in slow motion, the reality is that time is actually "flying" by as we observed the annual tradition of the Kinder and 1st graders marking the 100th day of school last week. The students participated in a number of activities like making the "Cien Días Más Inteligentes" crowns, counting to "Cien" in different ways, and making "Counting Collections". "Día de Los Enamorados" (Valentine's Day) is also coming up quickly and I want to send my "Amor" out to the entire Adelante Selby Community. I would also like to "spotlight" Maestra Yesenia's Virtual Friendship/Love Bookcase she created in her Google Classroom. The bookcase contains a number of wonderful children's stories to select "en Español" about Love and "Amistad". If you click on a book in the bookcase, the video of the read aloud of the story comes up. Please enjoy these stories with your family. Subdirectora Leslie and I will be participating in a Pajama Read Aloud for families this Thursday from 6:30-7:30pm via Zoom-- Love and Friendship will be the theme.
Ursula Jorgensen, MFT from Acknowledge Alliance ,has agreed to host a Parent Meeting on SEL and "Coping with COVID" on February 23rd from 5:00-6:00pm. Ursula just recently finished SEL curriculum with our 4th graders and will begin with our 3rd grade classes after the February break. Additionally, Unidos recently approved YMCA Project Cornerstone's virtual ABC video lessons for families to view(the read alouds of the books) and do the activities together. We agreed that the Ruby Bridges Goes To School book and activities fit well for February. Normally, parent volunteers would do the read alouds and activities in the classroom. Our hope is that families can complete 1-2 of the books and a few activities monthly. We will be sending out more information soon, but your family can get a head start with these two videos: intro video of Ruby Bridges Goes To School and the video of the Web of Support Activity
We were informed a few weeks ago by Superintendent Baker that all district staff that wants it will receive the COVID 19 vaccine as we are "Priority 1B"( Priority 1A are healthcare workers, First Responders, and seniors 75 and older). This may mean that more of our teachers will want to return to in person teaching on site prior to the end of the school year once fully vaccinated. However, due to the current low number of doses of the vaccine in San Mateo County, we do not know when our teachers/educators will be vaccinated. We will keep you informed if there are any changes to your current schedule as soon as we know.
Recently, we have been receiving a lot of inquiries about COVID-19 testing here at our school. As you know from previous newsletters, our staff that works on campus gets tested every two weeks. We also recently started testing our students every two weeks who have returned to in-person learning on site. However, we do not test any other adult or student. San Mateo County does provide safe, easy and no-cost testing at County-sponsored locations for everyone who works or lives in San Mateo County regardless of symptoms. Click the COVID -19 testing link. The closest testing site is: North Fair Oaks (Redwood City): Monday through Friday, Testing Starting Monday February 1, 2021 (Oral Swab):
Appointments are available for adults and children ages 2 and older Monday through Friday from Noon to 7:00 PM at 2685 Bay Road, Redwood City, 94063. No eating, drinking, or smoking 20 minutes prior to test. Drive through testing site. Those without appointments not accepted after 6:00 PM.
The test is no-cost to you but your insurance will be billed if available (please have your insurance information ready).
- San Mateo County residents should first contact their health care provider for a COVID-19 test.
- If you cannot get a timely test through your health care provider, please select from the following Testing Options listed below for a no-cost test at a County-sponsored location. Insurance will be billed if available.
- Once you select the best option for you, make an appointment. Appointments at ALL TEST SITES are STRONGLY encouraged as there is no guarantee you will be seen without one.
- Remember to bring your photo ID and the reference ID from the confirmation email to your appointment. Please have your insurance information ready if available.
Wellness Wednesdays is a seven-week asynchronous learning program focused on health and wellness for K-5th grade students.
Wellness Wednesday lessons for children in grades K-2 are approximately 10 minutes long. The structure and learning tools are the same each week:
Students watch a fun interactive video with a different topic each week facilitated by nutrition experts.
Students engage through online games and activities to enhance learning.
Week 2: Nutrition & Health Lessons
Kindergarten - 2nd Grade Lessons - Breakfast
3rd Grade Lessons - Nutrient Power!
4th Grade Lessons - Nutrient Power!
5th Grade Lessons - Balance Brigade
Please enjoy dancing along with Danny G as he has shared some of his You Tube Videos here:
Hello Families! This month is Unidos PTO "Dine Out" fundraiser event at Panda Express on Thursday, February 25, 2021. Use the code 902488 when ordering for pick up or delivery. This code is good at any Panda Express nationwide, so please share this with your families and friends! English Link Enlace Español
It is important that all families please visit the Unidos WebPage and take a few minutes to fill out the Membership Toolkit. Unidos supports a number of important programs at our school as well as coordinating volunteer efforts. They also provide communication to our community on a regular basis and need families updated information in the toolkit to do so. Unidos has set up this great link on explaining the process of reserving and checking out Library books. Parent volunteers have also set up a sign up page on the link if you can not come to the school to pick up the books and they will schedule a time to deliver the books to you(contact free of course!).
The School Photos Day with LifeTouch has to rescheduled until the San Mateo County is out of the Purple COVID-19 category. We will keep you informed of the dates and the plan as soon as we are able to do so.
A reminder that the district has set up an informational resource for parents and the community on the district web page called the Roadmap to Reopening of Schools.The district has also included a Parent's Guide to Distance Learning and in Spanish: Guía de Aprendizaje a Distancia para Padres to help support families.
Student breakfast and lunch drive through pickup here is now on Wednesdays 3:30-4:30, or at Roosevelt, Henry Ford or Taft from 3:30-4:30 Learn more here
Our new school office is open to the public on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8:00am-4:00pm. Parents, please note that teachers are still leaving packets and learning materials in front of the "old office" . Please call to make an appointment if you need help. All staff and visitors to campus must:
- wear a mask
- use hand disinfectant when entering the office
- have your temperature taken in the office at the kiosk so we can screen you
- complete the visitor Wellness Screening From using the QR code in the office
- keep 6 feet of social distancing at all times
Please note that the school playgrounds(including play structures and swings) and field are closed. The general public should not be on the school campus.
Please send me an email of a photo of your child learning at home or a screen shot of their project and I will try to include it in upcoming newsletters.
100 Días Más Inteligentes! Students Celebrate 100th Day
Danny G Grade Level Meets on Wednesdays!
Dual Language Conference
¡Feliz Día de Los Enamorados!
Photos Around School
Maestra Silvia: Dictado ( In-Person and Distance Learners)
Warren, Raquel, Angelica, Leslie, Jessenia: Zoom "Meeting"
Maestra Suzy: i-Ready ( In-Person and Distance Learners)
Important February Dates
- February 9: Super Minimum Day 11:45 AM "dismissal"( Students work asynchronously in PM)
- February 10: Library Book distribution 8:30-11:30-12:30-3:00pm use Library drive through
- February 11: Second Harvest Food Distribution 3:30-5:00pm
- February 11: Pajama Read Aloud with Leslie and Warren 6:30-7:30pm
- February 12: New Parent(TK or Kinder) Orientation Meeting, 10:00am: Join Zoom Meeting https://rcsdk8-net.zoom.us/j/83462949549?pwd=L1E5NWlWR2hRcHUwbWwrSjZtMnl5dz09 Meeting ID: 834 6294 9549 Passcode: Warren
- February 12: i-Ready reports will be sent to parents via US Mail
- February 15-19: February Break: No classes for Students
- February 22: ELAC meeting 4:00pm
- February 23: Acknowledge Alliance: Coping with COVID-19, SEL, Parent Meeting, 5:00-6:00
- February 24: Site Council meeting 3:00pm (Agenda attached below)
- February 25: Second Harvest Food Distribution: 3:30-5:00pm
- February 25: Unidos PTO Fundraiser Dine Out event at Panda Express : Use the code 902488 when ordering for pick up or delivery
- February 26 New Parent(TK or Kinder) Orientation Meeting, 10:00am: Join Zoom Meeting https://rcsdk8-net.zoom.us/j/83462949549?pwd=L1E5NWlWR2hRcHUwbWwrSjZtMnl5dz09 Meeting ID: 834 6294 9549 Passcode: Warren