Fearless in Fifth
Indian Creek 5th Grade Newsletter: Week of May 9 - 13
A Note from Mrs. Gleason
Our performance of Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears will be presented on Thursday, May 19, 2016 in the cafeteria after the 6:30pm PTA meeting.
The performance will last approximately thirty minutes.
As part of the students’ costumes, each child has been asked to wear all black. Your child should wear a long-sleeved or short-sleeved black shirt and black pants or a long black skirt.
If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Gleason – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle School News!
PTA Book Club!
Indian Creek Elementary is offering an awesome opportunity for you to participate in our first annual book study club! Please join in our discussion on May 5th as we will be reading The Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey. At our group discussion, free refreshments and pastries will be served.
Rather borrow the book? No problem! For those who would like to participate, we are making it easy for you to get involved by offering this book through our school library. You may check out a book using your student's name. Please see Ms. Robin Russell to obtain your copy or send a note with your child to check out the book.
To make it even more hassle-free, we will also be offering complimentary childcare, if it is needed. Please sign up on the link below so that we can find out which meeting time would be best for you and if you will be needing childcare. We hope to see you there!
Indian Creek Elementary Book Club Sign-Up Link
Indian Creek PTA
iPads at School and Ready To Go
Classroom Supply Needs - UPDATE!
We are at a time of year where student supplies are starting to run low. We would greatly appreciate it (if you are able to) if you could send any of the below items to school with your child. Thank you so much for your continuing support!
- hand sanitizer
- cleaning wipes, such as clorox or generic brand.
- EARBUDS! Because we use technology throughout the day, it is important for each student to have their own set of earbuds. They do not need to be expensive, they even have the at the Dollar Tree for $1 per pair. We do not have earphones for them and they are unable to share with their friends.
Important Dates to Remember!
Monday, May 9 - Math STAAR retake (if needed)
Tuesday, May 10 - Reading STAAR retake (if needed)
Wednesday, May 11 - Science STAAR
Friday, May 20 - Field Day
Monday, May 30 - School Holiday
Tuesday, May 31 - 5th Grade Field Trip
Wednesday, June 1 - End of Year Celebration @ 8:45 am
Thursday, June 2 - Balloon Release in the front of the school @ 12:15 pm
Thursday, June 2 - Last Day of School
What We Are Learning this Week:
- Starting on Thursday, we will begin our last unit "Step Up to Grade 6." This unit has a range of topics that are a preview of next year.
- We have finished our poetry project and will now begin a unit over Media Literacy. The students will analyze various forms of media and how their messages are conveyed differently, will learn about different techniques used in advertising, and will consider the differences in techniques across the various forms of media.
- We will also focus on words derived from Greek and Latin elements.
- We will complete our Science "Boot Camp" reviewing all of the objectives leading up to Science STAAR on May 11th.
- We will begin a unit over the Constitution and then the Bill of Rights.
- The questions we will use for our focus are, "What are the key features of the US Constitution?," and "What are the basic rights and freedoms of the American people?"
Indian Creek PTA!
Resources to Use:
Math:Access the math textbooks online by first going to www.lisd.net.
Go to the "Resources" tab and click on "for Students."
Once there, click on "Digital Resources."
On the right side of the page is a button that says "Pearson Realize."
The log-in is the same as your student's district log-in.
The Social Studies Alive curriculum is entirely online. Here is how your student can access the information from home:
website: www.teachtci.com (and select 'student')
username: last name, 1st initial
password: ID # (numbers only)
Mrs. Brown - @MrsBrowngrade5
Mrs. Horne - @fearlessin5th
Ms. Legg - @leggn1
Mrs. Purvis - @fifthisfun
Mrs. Vitosh - @AmyVitosh
Fifth Grade Team - @5thicefalcons
Indian Creek - @IndianCreekES