Week of January 6, 2014
The 2014 Reading Revolution
During Trimester one we made great progress towards our annual goals: K-2 students are building a foundation of biliteracy and the majority of 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students have increased their reading levels by more than a half year (much more in some cases). Yet most students still read significantly below their grade level. For students to excel like never before, we must all have a sense of urgency and clarity of focus regarding literacy levels. Every day, teachers must provide students multiple meaningful experiences with text—through independent reading, guided reading, and whole-class analysis of complex texts. Students and parents must know reading goals and work tirelessly to raise their levels. All staff must celebrate student growth (see “Road to Success” boards throughout the school) and help children develop a love of reading. By working together, we can ensure that all students raise their reading level by at least 1.5 years by the end of the school year.
Wishing Mr. Heredia a Full Recovery
- We have all been sending our prayers and positive thoughts to Gilberto as he recovers from Erythema Nodosum. Gilberto is using a walker and regaining his mobility. On Friday he was discharged from the rehab clinic and is now receiving therapy and recovering at home. We are hoping he will be back within the next couple weeks. Gilberto is very grateful for the cards, gifts and wishes of students, families and colleagues.
- Our old friend, Christian Villegas, will be teaching Gilberto’s classes for the first two weeks of 2014. We couldn’t have found a better replacement until Gilberto is back on his feet.
MLK Service Day: Saturday, January 18
- Martin Luther King taught us that, “Anyone can be great because anyone can serve.” Celebrate MLK Day early by serving our school and recruiting students and parents to volunteer as well.
- Upward Roots is helping to coordinate the day and two projects have been planned: mural painting and restoration of the courtyard garden. If you would like to lead another project, please let Mr. Jacques know and attend the planning meeting on 1/8 at 4 p.m.
Instructional Leadership Team Update
- ILT met on Saturday, December 14 to analyze data, reflect on progress towards school-wide goals, and plan PD for trimester 2.
- For trimester 2, we will return to a four week inquiry cycle of 1) New learning and inquiry, 2) Planning, 3) Implementation, and 4) Reflection. The topic for January will be integrated the Common Core through the Template for Authentic Literacy
- Erminda Garcia will be working with the ILT to help differentiate PD for grade clusters (e.g. K/1).
- Ms. Syrowksi and other ILT members will offer optional periodic seminars on topics related to shifts to Common Core.
Professional Learning Community (PLC) Days
Each grade-level team will be provided a release day in January for data analysis and curriculum design. Please see the calendar and work with another grade-level to switch days if your PLC day does not work for you.
- Ms. Jasmine is building a document to track information regarding focal 50 students/families (enrollment in ASP, attendance at meetings, student progress, etc.). Ms. Jasmine has also helped to build a data wall to track student progress in Mr. Jacques’ office.
- Violeta will lead additional reading assessment (DRA) of all Focal 50 students in January. This will consist of assessment support and/or sub coverage so teachers may assess focal students.
- Ms. Arnold will begin collecting names of teachers and staff who would like to eat lunch with about 5 focal 50 students each week.
- Most Focal 50 students have been enrolled in the After-school program. Ms. Claudia will be working with Mr. Jacques and teachers to ensure the remaining students are enrolled.
- Mr. Jacques is seeking funding so Sylvan can provide 50 hours of reading instruction for the focal 50 this Winter/Spring.
Core Value Scholars of the Week
- We will begin scholars of the week again this week. Please recognize students who show the weekly core value by inputting their names in the Google Doc prior to meeting the following Monday:
- Morning Meeting: 8:30 on the Back Yard
- Core Value of the Week: Determination
- Wes off site at principal PD
- Faculty Council at 4:00
- COST 8:30 – 9:30
- PD: Shared Learning 2:30
- Planning Meeting for MLK Service Day 4:00
- Reading Assembly at 8:40
- Carnival for Division II Leader 1:15 – 1:45
- Carnival for Division I Leader at 2:00 – 2:30
- CSC Planning Day:
- K/3rd – 8:30 – 10:00
- 1st/4th – 10:15 – 11:45
- 2nd/5th 1:15 – 2:45