SMS Weekly Update April 4- April 8
“One school, One voice, One family ~ All Together”
Mission, Vision, Core Values & Smart Goals
SMS Vision Statement:
“Sedgefield will be a premier middle school that produces globally competitive leaders.”
SMS Mission Statement:
“Our Sedgefield faculty is committed to providing rigorous and relevant instruction in a safe and personalized learning environment.”
SMS Core Values:INTEGRITY
2015-2016 EOG GOALS
40% 4/5 - ELA
35% 4/5 – MATH
55% 4/5 –SCI.
Monday- No DDI Meetings so that team members can analyze CIA 3 data and work on
6 week instructional action plans.
Tuesday- Grade Level Department Meetings to collaboratively work on 6 week
instructional action plans.
Wednesday- No General Staff meeting
Grade Level Meetings: PD with TIA Scarpinato
Thur. & Fri- One on One conferences to discuss 6 week action plans
CIA 3 Next Steps Reminder
1. Lesson plans for the week after spring break (April 4-8) will not have to be submitted for review. Please have them posted in your classroom beginning on April 4th. Our classroom walk-throughs will resume on Monday, April 4th.
2. Monday, April 4th: Grade level department teams will meet during planning periods to analyze grade level performance on CIA 3. These meetings will take the place of our Monday data meetings.
Tuesday, April 5th: Grade level department teams will meet during planning periods to collaboratively work on 6 week instructional action plan.
**Thursday, April 7th (6 week instructional plans due to grade level administrators and content facilitators).
3. Thursday, Friday, Monday, 4/7-4/11- Grade level administrators and content facilitators meet one on one with teachers to discuss 6 week plan and to align administrative support.
4. Teachers will be able to choose from 3 options for their instructional action plan.
a. 6-8 week plan that was used for fall CIA 1 (see attached)
b. 6-8 week plan that was used for winter CIA 2 (see attached)
c. Teacher can develop their own instructional action plan that includes the following information / categories ….
1. Major areas of instructional focus (by standard & objective) between April 11-May 20
2. Small Group Instruction vs. Whole Class Instruction (what will you teach in small groups and what data points will be used to create small groups?)
3. Specific remediation strategies / activities that will be implemented for standards not mastered (less than 80% on CIA 3)
4. Specific extension strategies / activities that will be implemented for scholars who are ready to move on.
5. In-class formative assessment schedule between April 11-May 20.
We will not conduct a school-wide mock EOG in April or May. The 6 week instructional plans will take us right up to our end of year testing.
2 SMS Scholars Earn Medals at The Charlotte Optimist Club 2016 Oratorical Contest
SMS Scholars Take On Atlanta, GA
Our scholars talking with the current Senior Pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church
Our scholars outside of the childhood home of MLK Jr.
Preparing to enter Ebenezer Baptist Church
Character & Exposure Clubs this Friday 4/8/16
Soccer & Baseball Home Game on Wednesday
This week our baseball & soccer teams are back in action. On Monday we host White Water Middle School . Please come out and support our talented scholar-athletes on Wednesday.