Julia, Patrick, Reem, and Hudson
Conflict in Italy
Results and Resolution
- Piedmont gained only a small amount of land from the war with Austria due to the way the French had double-crossed them.
- Garibaldi slowly conquered more kingdoms and hoped to form a republican Italy
- He conquered the rest of the Papal states, but he gave up to Piedmontese domination, and a monarchical Italy was formed
- Savoy and Nice were given to France because much of the population spoke French.
"I think it was bad that it had to come to war to unify." Patrick
"I think it's interesting that Italy was geographically together but economically and socially they were so diverse until the unification." Reem
"They're unified now." Julia
2. Was Italy a republic or a monarchy?
3. Which two cities were given to France?