30th Annual Summer Institute
A Nod to the Past ~ An Eye to the Future
JOIN US- JUNE 17, 18, 19, & 20
REGISTRATION IS OPEN
"High Quality Professional Learning Close to Home!"
$60.00 per course / $120 for two courses
$85.00 per course w/25 SCECHs / $170.00 for two course w/50 SCECHs
$524 per Grad Credit
MONDAY Keynote Featuring Dr. John Almarode "The Science of How We Learn"
Dr. John Almarode, has worked with hundreds of school districts and thousands of teachers all over the world presenting on the application of the science of learning to the classroom, school, and home environments. In addition to devoting his time to PK – 12 schools and classrooms, John is an Associate Professor in the Department of Early, Elementary, and Reading Education, Co-Director of James Madison University’s Center for STEM Education and Outreach, and Director of the Content Teaching Academy. At JMU, he works with pre‑service teachers and actively pursues his research interests including the science of learning, the design and measurement of classroom environments that promote student engagement and learning.
WEDNESDAY Keynote: Dr. Timothy Rasinski "Let’s Get Back to the Art of Teaching Reading"
Dr. Timothy Rasinski is a professor of literacy education at Kent State University and director of its award winning reading clinic. He has written over 200 articles and has authored, co-authored or edited over 50 books or curriculum programs on reading education. His scholarly interests include reading fluency and word study, reading in the elementary and middle grades, and readers who struggle. His research on reading has been published in journals such as Reading Research Quarterly, The Reading Teacher, Reading Psychology, and the Journal of Educational Research. Dr. Rasinski is the first author of the fluency chapter for the Handbook of Reading Research. His early years in education were as an elementary and middle school classroom and Title I teacher in Nebraska. In 2010, Dr. Rasinski was elected into the International Reading Hall of Fame. Dr. Rasinski is presentlng courtesy of Scholastic Inc.
HOW THE KEYNOTE AND COURSE OFFERINGS WORK:
FIRST MORNING OF EACH COURSE SET BEGINS WITH A WELCOME AND COMMON KEYNOTE
- (8:00 TO 9:45 a.m. in Jamrich Hall on the campus of NMU)
UPON CONCLUSION OF KEYNOTE, PARTICIPANTS MOVE TO COURSE LOCATION
- 10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. on the first day and 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. on the following day.
- Lunch is "on your own" each day (12:00- 1:00 p.m.)
*3:30 to 4:00 p.m. is a time that may be set aside by the instructor to confer with participants individually or in small groups or to expand upon topics.
MONDAY - TUESDAY COURSE OFFERINGS
- Advanced Holocaust & Armenian Genocide Study Part A *by invitation only
- Assessment Literacy to Guide Quality Teaching and Learning with Dr. Ellen Vorenkamp
- Every Child CAN Learn with BobbieSue Adams 2018 MI Teacher of the Year
- Impact of Vision on Reading & Learning with Dr. Gina Pepin
- Introduction to Cybersecurity with Keith Glendon, Emma Latuszek, and Matt Landers
- Maker Playground with Gaby Eyzaguirre
- CANCELLED - Modeling Instruction in Science: Next Gen
- Pre-K Essential Practices in Early Literacy featuring Scholastic Consultants Barbara Roberts and Cathy Yount and Dr. Kristen Peterson
- CANCELLED - Visible Learning in the Science Classroom
- (A) Wellness Package for You with Tracie Abram, Abbey Palmer, and Isaac Wedig,
WEDNESDAY - THURSDAY COURSE OFFERINGS
- ACES and Trauma: Impacting the Children in our Classrooms with Lyndsay Carey
- Advanced Holocaust & Armenian Genocide Study Part B *by invitation only
- Are You AI (Artificial Intelligence) Ready? with Gaby Eyzaguirre
- Assessment Literacy- A Formative Approach with Drs. Kristen White and Joe Lubig
- Bringing the K-5 Literacy Essentials to Life in Your Classroom featuring Dr. Timothy Rasinski with Dr Kristen Peterson
- Establishing a Culture for Montessori Education with Drs. Rebecca Pelton and Joe Lubig
- Mastering Stress in a Mind"Full" Way with Kristine McPeak and Deb Timmerman
- Michigan Arts Education Instruction and Assessment Institute with Heather Vaughan-Southard
- Preparing Students for Their Future Through Teacher Externships with Brian Sarvello & Jim Yates***REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED FOR THIS COURSE.
- CANCELLED- Teaching the Holocaust: Empowering Students with Robin Axelrod
- Video Production Made Easy for ALL Educators with Kara Clayton
******Arrive early and enjoy a FULL BREAKFAST each day! *******
Monday and Wednesday breakfasts are courtesy of MESSA.
Tuesday and Thursday breakfasts are courtesy of Mentoring Minds.