April 9th, 2018 Pony News
On the Side of Hope!
Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them. - Jack Canfield
This week our 5th graders will be taking the Math and Reading STAAR and 4th Grade will be taking the Writing STAAR. Please send encouragement and happy thoughts their way.
Have a great week!
RALLY FOR THIS WEEK
Please click on the link to see the sequence of the Rally!
A Minute with the LASes...
Our Multicultural PTA Night is going to be Thursday April 19th!
We are looking for the following:
- "International cooks" and people willing to taste different flavors.
- Interesting facts from around the world. We will collect them by this Friday, April 13th and design a scavenger hunt for our Ponies and their families to participate and learn.
- People willing to dress with traditional clothes or bring traditional cultural items for display.
- Volunteer helpers.
Please, fill out this form to let us know how you would like to participate!
Our Newcomers and ESL students will present the book that they wrote, "One World, Many Stories", our Dance Club will perform and, with Mr. Thomas' guidance, a group of students will sing and dance. It's going to be a fun night, don't miss it!
THIS WEEK'S RTI MEETINGS
- DRA/EDL results (taken within the last 2 weeks)
- I-Station data
- CBA/Benchmark data (Reading and/or Math)
- TTM data
- Running records (taken in the last 2 weeks)
- Documentations from parent conversations
- Fill in the feedback portion of the FOG (if this is a follow-up meeting).
- Remember that each meeting should last only 20 minutes (so coming prepared is imperative).
- Remember that we may still be STAAR testing (make-ups) on Thursday, so coverage for your class may not be possible should the meeting need more than 20 minutes, so please be conscious of the time and allow the data to guide the conversations.
Thank you again for being prepared advocates for our students.
Logistics for Next Week: STAAR WARS
- Tuesday and Wednesday recess will be held in the front of the school in the grassy area. Our wonderful P.E. coaches will provide equipment. It is important that teachers on recess duty monitor with extra caution regarding this playground location and the vehicle traffic.
- In the event that we have to have indoor recess on testing days, please be creative, yet mindful of our testing environment.
- All lunch times will need to be at Level 1 or 0. (We are testing throughout the entire building.)
- NO VISITORS WILL BE ALLOWED FOR LUNCH AND/OR PARENT CONFERENCES.
- There will be students testing in some of the administrators' offices, please consider this when in the front office, workroom, and teacher's lounge.
- The copy machine will be off in the conference room and workroom on Tuesday (as we have students testing in and/or near those locations. Please use the upstairs copy machine.
- Jeans and LVES and/or college/university shirts may be worn all week as a symbol of support to our students and teachers.
- We will have lunch to kick the STAAR (make your own subway) for all staff members on Tuesday. It will be in the launch.
- All certified teachers should be prepared to assist with testing (in the event that we have an emergency).
- High five, hug, or smile to our students and/teachers who are testing...they are ALL OUR Ponies!
- If a student who is slated to test comes late (after 10:00), please support us by accommodating that student in your classroom (if you are asked). Remember, students cannot enter the testing room if they arrive after 10:00.
LISD Awards Banquet
Join us in celebrating our Teacher of the Year, Marla Rodriguez and at the LISD Awards Banquet.
Ticket orders are now available for LISD’s Annual Recognition and Awards Banquet on Friday, April 27th. Please let Betty Guerrero know by Friday morning April 13th if you want to buy a ticket.
ABOUT THE BANQUET: FRIDAY, APRIL 27
- This year’s banquet will be at the Hyatt Regency DFW, inside the DFW Airport at Terminal C.
- Light refreshments are served from 6 p.m. until 6:30. Dinner is served at 6:30 and the awards begin at 7.
- Allow extra time for traffic and parking. Dress is semi-formal/business attire.
Please advise all ticket holders to make other plans for their children.
Direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pony Time: Due to STAAR week we will not have Pony Time this week.
K to 3rd will continue with tutoring after school.
4th and 5th will not be doing tutoring this week.
See you tomorrow
Monday April 9th
- College Ready Rally 2:20-2:45 pm
- AWARDS Kinder @ 8:00
- College/U shirt Day
- 2nd- Swimming
- 5th Teachers- Science Academy
- LA K-2
- CLOSED CAMPUS
- 4th grade Writing & 5th grade Math-STAAR
- **2nd- Swimming
- **Kinder Field Trip to Arboretum
- **1st field trip to Zoo
- **Librarian’s Day**
- **** Lunch provided by Admin team (Make your own subway)
- CLOSED CAMPUS
- Dress for Success Day
- 5th Grade Reading- STAAR
- 2nd- Swimming
- 2nd- Swimming
- Staff Luncheon- 2nd/Inst. Support host
- LVES Spirit Day
Staff Shout Outs
- Mr. Cory Anderson, Wanda Oden and Lisa Burleson for participating in the Schools Vision Interview
- Gladys Diaz for helping me through video recording the Schools vision Interview.
- Thank you Mrs. Maurier & Mrs. Rowland for all your hard work with TELPAS. Mrs. Burleson could not have made it without you.
- Thank you Mr. Colon for helping be ISS for one of our 1st grade students.
- Thank you Mrs. Lawson for always helping me pull data.
- Thank you Mrs. Valdes for always being available to answer so many questions.
- Mrs. Simpson thanks for all your hard work ensuring our benchmarks are run smoothly.
- Thank you front office staff for helping Mrs. Burleson all the time - with students, questions, parents & all small & big things in between.
- Samia Rutherford for taking the time to help make copies for our Pony Time! You Rock!!
- Stephanie Sanchez for helping me get things ready for my tutor! You ROCK!!!
- Mr. Anderson - who rode the bus home with a student as a student reward - he literally went the extra mile!
- Mrs Miller - Fantastic job taking point of helping Mrs. Rimling's class!
- Mrs. Isham for always putting her students and their needs first!
- Samia Rutherford - Thank you for sharing your strategies and ideas...wonderful information!
- Stephanie Sanchez, Kindergarten loves you! Thank you for all of your dedication to the students and teachers.
- Danielle Maurie - Thanks for always being so willing to share ideas, games, and lessons.
- Mrs. Valdes: Thanks for caring about children, and for making the hard decisions to do what is best.
- Mrs. Oden, thank you for doing so many of the "behind the scenes" details for our campus!
- Mrs. Rutherford, thank you for printing materials and working with my students!
- Mrs. Sanchez, thank you for supporting our students with morning tutoring!
- Thank you to the discipline committee for providing suggestions for helping our students be more successful!
- Admin team - thank you for always being on the side of HOPE!
- Mrs. Rutherford for providing ready made writing and reading resources.
- Ms. Green for staying late on Wednesday to help support a parent in need.
- Thank you Ms. Holguin for translating the STAAR parent letters!
- Thank you Ms. Ramage for assisting me to locate files!
- Thanks to everyone who attend the STAAR training, we got it done!
- Thank you Ms. Vando for assisting with the logistics with STAAR!
- Thank you Mrs. Isham for being a team support (she attended the STAAR training twice to support her new team members)! You ROCK!
- Shout out to Ms. Rutherford...you are doing an amazing job with coordinating Saturday School.
- Shout out to our Admin-Interns (Mrs. Rowland & Ms. Diaz)...you all were rocking it out on Thursday! :)
- Shout out to Ms. Elda for keeping our school looking good! (Thank you!)
- Shout out to Mrs. McNamara for always saying, "I will do whatever you need me to do." (It's appreciated!)
- To those who serve on the Discipline Committee, our practice circle was POWERFUL & EYE-OPENING...thank you!
- Thank you to person who brought me ice water w/lemon wedges from Sonic. (You know who you are!)
- Shout out to Mrs. Sanchez for stepping up to conduct the RTI meetings this week!
- Thank you Mr. Dixson for making the coffee every morning!
- Thank you Mr. Anderson for always acting pleasantly surprise when you see your fellow co-workers. (Oh My Gosh!!!) You keep a smile, and you keep us smiling!
- Click here to submit your Shout Out.