Bushy Park PTA Newsletter
Leading with Kindness | September 11, 2019
What a Monday!
- Thank you, to all who participated in our Chick-fil-A fundraiser on Monday.
- Monday's in-person PTA Meeting was very productive and may have smelled a lot like waffle fries. We approved our 2019-20 budget, introduced our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee, discussed volunteer opportunities and had committee discussions. Meeting notes will be available soon.
Thursday & Friday
- Kindergarten Back to School Night is Thursday, September 12th from 6-7pm.
- The PTA Welcome Back Picnic is Friday, September 13th from 5-7pm. We will meet on the playground blacktop starting at 5pm and go until 7pm. Bring chairs, blankets, dinner for your family, balls, frisbees, hula hoops, and other fun items for the kids to play with. It is a great time to meet other Bushy Park Families!
- Today, we're launching our Mabel's Labels online fundraiser!
- Please add Tony Locos Give Back Nights to your calendar -- October 14th & 15th.
NEW PTA Meeting Format
- Our next PTA meeting will be a recorded conference call/online on Thursday, October 3rd from 7-7:40pm. To join, please visit the PTA Calendar and select the date for details. The recording of the meeting will be available and will serve as meeting notes.
- Please register for our first Family Fun Night (FFN) of the year. We have partnered with The Create Can Art Studio to bring you a Family Art Night at special PTA member pricing. We will provide a brief PTA Update during the FFN.
Do you have any questions for me? Please feel free to email me directly at email@example.com.
BPES PTA Leadership Team, 2019-20
Randee Wilding, President
Kristin Baker, Treasurer
Voula Augustin, First Vice President
Gina Lease, Second Vice President
Michelle Sexton, Secretary
Jaime Belmore, Corresponding Secretary
Congratulations to the Leone Family!
You've won the September PTA family membership drawing! This month's prize is the book "All Are Welcome" by Alexandra Penfold (Author) and Suzanne Kaufman (Illustrator). Enjoy!
Find out what the October PTA family membership drawing prize will be in the October 9th PTA newsletter.
To become a member or renew your annual family membership, please complete our online form and submit payment.
To become a member or renew your annual staff membership, please complete our online form and submit payment.
National Hispanic Heritage Month
Volunteer Opportunities (1 hour to 10+)
Before & After School Activities Co-chair
The chair and co-chair have the following responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities to provide extra enrichment options to the student body
- Research and select vendors to run such selected programs and clubs outside of school hours
- Coordinate with the vendors to schedule age-appropriate activities in conjunction with the school calendar
- Obtain permit through the county for use of areas within the school property
- Review and approve fliers and collect adequate quantities for distribution
- Ensure fliers are sent home to families through take home folders and first day folders
- For activities conducted by the BPES teachers, the chairs are also responsible to collect registrations, build rosters and record payments
- Hand over the rosters and reimbursement forms to the PTA treasurer
- Communicate and coordinate with the front office any changes to planned activities, volunteer sign-up etc.
Please contact Namita Shah with interest.
Book Fair Volunteers
Book Fair Co-chair
Duties including, but not limited to marketing the fair to parents and assisting at the fair (some nights and days). You will also have an opportunity to attend Scholastic training workshops. Book Fair occurs twice a year and is a rewarding volunteer position in the Bushy Park community. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Stacie Morris at or stop by the Book Fair on Tuesday, September 24 from 9-12.
Bushy Bear Dash Fundraiser, Field Games
Our biggest fundraiser of the year, the Bushy Bear Dash, is looking for a co-chair to help plan/co-ordinate field games. Please contact Gina Lease with interest.
Our Media Center is in need of volunteers! We especially need help collecting books in the mornings, checking them in, and shelving them. An hour a week would be wonderful, but any time you can give would be appreciated. You pick the day and time. Please contact Christine Carey.
NEW PTA Meeting Format & Family Fun Nights (FFN)
Monday, October 7th at 6:30pm will be our first FFN for the year! We have partnered with The Creative Can Art Studio to bring you a family art night! Come create your own fall sign on wooden pallet board. Don’t miss this special pricing (materials fee), especially for PTA members!
So you may plan ahead, please find a list of these family activities below (start times may vary):
- Monday, November, 11, PTA Update | FFN Fit Night with 39 Minute Workout
- Wednesday, December 4, FFN Robotics Night with Glenelg High's Robotiators 888
- Monday, December, 9, PTA Update | FFN Winter Potluck Dinner & Musical Guests from Damon Foreman Music Academy
- Monday, January 13, PTA Update | FFN Story-time and Snacks
- Monday, February 10, PTA Update | FFN Valentine Workshop
- Monday, April 20, PTA Update | FFN Math Game Night
- Monday, May 1, PTA Update | FFN Talent Show
- Monday, May 11, PTA Update | FFN Adult Softball Game & Kids Cheering Section
- Monday, June 1, PTA Update | FFN Summer Potluck & Musical Guests from Damon Foreman Music Academy
Online Fundraiser: Mabel's Labels
- Visit http://campaigns.mabelslabels.com
- Enter "Bushy Park Elementary PTA"
That's it! The PTA will receive 20% of all sales and you will know that your towels, lunch bags and water bottles will always be labeled!
Fall Book Fair
Our Fall Book Fair, September 23–27, is a reading event that brings the books that your child wants to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
Fall Book Fair hours are the following:
- Monday, September 23, 3pm–7pm
- Tuesday, September 24, 8:30am–12pm* and 3pm–8pm Raffle Night
- Wednesday, September 25, 3pm–7pm
- Thursday, September 26, 3pm–7pm
*Special morning hours for Book Fair. Visitors may ONLY visit the mini auditorium.
Visit the Book Fair online at: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/bushyparkelementaryschool
Sign-up to volunteer at: https://signup.com/go/GcrrKvD.
Classroom Book Fund
The PTA Classroom Book Fund is a great way to honor your child, encourage reading and share a book! Gifting a book to your child is a great way to get your child to read a book that he/she chooses themselves. Dedicate this book to your child, let them take it home for 2 weeks, and then return the book to your child's classroom for other's to read for many years to come!
September 201912 Kindergarten Back to School Night, 6-7pm
13 Welcome Back Picnic, 5-7pm
23-27 Fall Book Fair
24 Room Parent Orientation 9:30am
3 PTA (Online) Meeting 7pm
11 Fall Fest 6-8pm
31 Halloween Parade, Time TBD
Website PTA Calendar: https://www.bushyparkpta.org/calendar
Facebook PTA Events: https://www.facebook.com/pg/BushyParkPTA/events/
39 Minute & Wellness
Brandon Dean's Childcare
Cattail Creek Country Club
Business Partner: Located in the heart of Glenwood, Cattail Creek is Howard County’s premier, family-friendly club, offering year-round activities to stimulate, educate and entertain even our youngest members. Visit: www.cattailcreekcc.com. Deborah Eubank, Membership Coordinator, Phone: 410-489-4653 ext. 233, Deborah.firstname.lastname@example.org
Damon Foreman Music Academy (DFMA)
Four Seasons Landscaping
Mt. Airy Children's Dental Associates
Business Partner: Pediatric Dental & Orthodontic Office Offering Pediatric Dentistry from Infancy thru College & Orthodontics for Children & Adults. For more information, visit: www.mtairysmiles.com.
People Who Need People (PWNP)
Rocky Brown, REALTOR®, The Wendy Slaughter Team of Elevate Real Estate Brokerage
The Creative Can Art Studio
Western Howard County (WHC) Youth Soccer
Sports Sponsor: Since 2014, WHC Soccer has donated $10 to participating school PTA’s for each student registered to play. Registration for the Fall season opens in mid-April and runs thru early July. For more information about the league and registration visit www.whcsoccer.org.
Western Howard County (WHC) Warhawks Football & Cheer
Are you a business owner or a sports league? The Bushy Park Elementary PTA invites you to become a business or sports sponsor. Our community sponsor program provides an opportunity to support the staff and students of Bushy Park Elementary.
Bushy Park Elementary PTA
Our PTA is here to build a bridge between home and school, integrating the efforts of parents, teachers, staff and our community. It is an integral part of the Bushy Park community by offering many activities and programs to our families.
Our mission is to promote a positive partnership among our educators, children, and community-at-large through advocacy efforts and programs focused on the education and well-being of our children.
Our vision is simple. Lead with kindness and let everything follow.