Assault on Batteries!
Can you charge a cell phone with a homemade battery?
Before You Begin: Research!
Who are the famous pioneers from the past who were instrumental in developing the battery and what materials did they have available to them?
What components are required to produce a functioning battery?
Explain what is happening in a battery when electricity is being produced.
Enjoy the following videos as you begin your research.
The Engineering Design Process
- Define the problem
- Do background research
- Specify requirements
- Brainstorm solutions
- Choose the best solution
- Do development work
- Build a prototype
- Test and Redesign
This process doesn't always flow in this order and is often a circular process whereby you reach one step and have to circle back to another process and begin again.
Your final products:
- Your research paper.
- Your working battery.
- Your tri-fold display, website, or keynote presentation.
- A final test of your knowledge.
- Have you built a functioning battery?
- What voltage and amperage is your battery capable of producing?
- Is it capable of charging a cell phone?
- Will the average consumer be able to safely build your battery?
- Does your display show knowledge of batteries and electricity?