Week 8: October 13-16
What We're Learning Now...
Math: We're learning to count forward and backward to at least 20, recognize instantly the quantity of a small group of objects, and that counting tells how many things are in a set - when counting a set of objects the last word in the counting sequence names the quantity.
Reading: We're learning to make inferences and predictions. We're recognizing the difference between a letter and a word, and identifying common sounds that letters represent.
Popcorn Word: a
Writing: We're matching sounds to letters: forming upper and lower-case letters. We are learning to write the first letter of words we do not know. We're also learning that we right from left to right.
Science: We're learning about heat sources.
Social Studies: We're learning about communities and neighborhoods.
Home - School Connection
It would be great if the kids could bring a pair of earbuds to school to use with the ipads and in the computer labs. If you have a pair of earbuds you can send, we'll put them in a zippie bag with your child's name it.
Here are some activities to do with your child to reinforce our learning at school. You do not need to turn in anything:
- Practice counting to 100 starting with a number other than zero
- Practice writing letters in shaving cream on the table.
- Make flashcards for the popcorn words that we have learned so far (the, can, we, I, a, like) and practice reading them
- Look for popcorn words in the books you're reading
- Point out consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words such as cat, dog, hat in the books your reading and help your child sound them out
Visit my website at www.mrsbelford.com and click on the Symbaloo tab to find different interactive learning resources.
- items for our Treasure box
- stamp pads
- dry erase markers
- earbuds for the students (see Home-School Connection section)
If you haven't done so already, please sign up to receive important classroom information and reminders in the form of one-way text or e-mail messages.
To sign up for text messages, just text @mrsbelford to 81010. To receive messages via email, send an email to email@example.com.