GKHS Counseling Digest
Staying Connected to Your Support Network
Your Counseling Team
Danielle Melvin (A-Col), email@example.com
Brad Hostak (Com-Gra), firstname.lastname@example.org
Megan Wardle (Gre-La), email@example.com
Jennie Colgan (Le-Pam), firstname.lastname@example.orgJodi Greyeyes (Pan-Sol), email@example.com
Mike Stallman (Som-Z), firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Kimball, Social Worker, email@example.com
Kelly Woyak, Career Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Emmalee Kronoff, Career Counselor, email@example.com
In this issue...
- Running Start Update
- Coping Opportunity
- TECH SUPPORT Town Hall Meeting
- AP Testing
- Elizabeth Wesley Incentive Award
- Decision Day & Senior Awards
- CWU Update
- Want to be a Link Crew Leader?
- Staying Connected
Pierce College Running Start Virtual Info Sessions
Optional info sessions for new students and their parents/guardians interested in Running Start for fall 2020
Learn the “steps for getting started” and general information about the Running Start program
Registration limited; required for interested participants in virtual session
Choose a date and visit link to register
Thursday, May 14th 6 PM
Wednesday, May 20th 6 PM
Running Start: How to Sign up
Pierce College has a new process for students who are interested in Running Start. If you are a current sophomore or junior and are interested in Running Start at Pierce College for next year, please follow these steps.
· Step 1: Complete a Pierce College Admissions Application. The application link will be working on May 11. Once your application is processed, you will receive a welcome email and Pierce College ID number.
· Step 2: Place into college level English. Contact the Pierce College Testing and Placement Center for Guided Self Placement (GSP) (PuyTesting@pierce.ctc.edu). If you qualify for Running Start, you will receive an email that you will need to forward to your GKHS counselor. If you plan to take math at Pierce College, you will also need to complete the Math GSP.
o If you will complete Advanced Algebra at GKHS this school year. You may qualify to enroll in math at Pierce College. You will need to complete the Math GSP.
o If you will complete Geometry at GKHS this school year, you will take Advanced Algebra at GKHS next school year.
· Step 3: Connect with your GKHS counselor for your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (EVF). Email your counselor to schedule a Zoom appointment, or schedule an appointment online through the GKHS Counseling Center website.
· Step 4: Log in to your MyPierce account and complete the New Student Guide, including the Student Intake Form in Module 7. Approximately 3 business days later, you will receive an email with information regarding how to schedule your advising appointment and how to provide your Running Start EVF to Pierce College.
While most GKHS Running Start students attend Pierce College, some also attend other local community and technical colleges. If you are interested in Running Start at Tacoma Community College, Clover Park Technical College, Green River College, or Bates Technical College, please check their Running Start websites for application and placement steps.
TECH SUPPORT Town Hall Meeting 5/21
AP Testing has started!
Below is a calendar to upcoming test dates and times.
Here is a link to a video created by AP teachers for all AP students: https://youtu.be/A4rEjlzENdk
Wed. May 13: English Literature, 11:00 a.m.
Thurs. May 14: Chemistry, 11:00 a.m.
Thurs. May 14: Physics, 1:00 p.m.
Fri. May 15: US History, 11:00 a.m.
Mon. May 18: Biology, 11:00 a.m.
Tues. May 19: Psychology, 11:00 a.m.
Wed. May 20: English Language, 11:00 a.m.
Thurs. May 21: World History, 11:00 a.m.
Fri. May 22: Statistics, 11:00 a.m.
Fri. May 22: Spanish Language 1:00 p.m.
Tues. May 26: AP Art and Computer Science Principles portfolios due
If you are handwriting your AP responses and taking pictures, make sure your picture comes through in the correct format - see picture above.
From the Career Center...
Elizabeth Wesley Incentive Award - Info Meeting TODAY at 10am!
An exciting award is available to 9th, 10th, and, 11th-grade students called the Elizabeth Wesley Youth Merit Incentive Award. Information and application details are outlined below.
There will be an information meeting viz zoom on Wednesday, May 13 @ 10:00 am. This is the link to that meeting. https://bethelsd.zoom.us/j/97156303353
We will have Reggie Johnson, the chairman of the Elizabeth Wesley selection committee presenting to share more about the award and information and details about the online application process.
This is a great opportunity so check it out!! Wednesday, May 13 @ 10:00am. Hope to see you there! If for some reason you are unable to attend, the meeting will be recorded so just send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request the recording.
- Qualifying Cumulative GPA is 2.5
- Must be African American 9th, 10th, or 11th-grade student in the following Tacoma/Pierce County school districts- University Place, Tacoma, Clover Park, Franklin Pierce, Puyallup, Bethel and Steilacoom
The Incentive Award
- Students who are awarded will receive a check for $350 at our annual awards ceremony in September 2020! *
3) Ways to apply: All applications are due by midnight on June 30th!
- Go to https://www.ewesleyaward.org/ then “How to apply” and go to the new electronic application/ “On-line Application” Your essay and letters of recommendation will need to be ready to attach. You will not be able to re-enter the application once you start.
- Go to https://www.ewesleyaward.org/ then “How to apply” and print a paper application
- Get a paper application from your school or a community person,
Pioneer Valley PTA Scholarship
Got 145 hours or more of Community Service?
JUNIORS! CollegeBoard Scholarships - Apply Now!
DECISION DAY & Senior Awards Survey DUE May 15th!
Central Washington University Updates
- May 1 confirmation moved to June 1, and beyond
- “Next Steps Support” appointments available
- Still accepting Fall 2020 applications
- Fall 2020 – officially test optional
- LINKS (on-campus) Summer Orientation Cancelled
- Students should still complete CENTRAL 101 and register for orientation to be on the mailing list for updates regarding alternative programing.
- Online Campus Tours available
- “Learn more about CWU” appointments available
- Likely test options for Fall 2021 (not yet confirmed)
- Online Admission Experiences webpage (check periodically for new offerings)
COVID-19 Updates & FAQs:
TO BE ANNOUNCED:
- Alternative Plan for LINKS Summer Orientation programs
- Registration Process for new students (normally completed at Summer Orientation)
Deedee Orr, MES
Senior Admissions Counselor
Regionally based in Thurston County
Office of Admissions
206-747-1337 (M) 509-963-3065 (F)
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7463
More from the Counseling Office...
Sophomores & Juniors Interested in Link Crew Next Year?
If you are a Sophomore or a Junior and you would like to welcome in our new Freshman Class of 2024 to inspire and serve as mentors, please complete this application by May 22nd. https://forms.gle/BRWiJyVeGwao1Fhq5
Link Crew is a high school transition program that welcomes Freshmen and makes them feel comfortable throughout the first year of their high school experience. Built on the belief that students can help students succeed, Boomerang Project’s proven high school transition program trains mentors from your junior and senior classes to be Link Crew Leaders. As positive role models, Link Crew Leaders are mentors and student leaders who guide the freshmen to discover what it takes to be successful during the transition to high school and help facilitate freshman success.
- For the Class of 2020 parents only, please join the GRAHAM KAPOWSIN C/O 2020 Facebook page. Search by that name and request to join. Important information shared!
- You can also join the GKHelp Instagram page...for all students & parents!
- Shower Seniors GKHS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/694047981362655/?fref=nf
- GK Counseling Center https://www.facebook.com/Graham-Kapowsin-Counseling-Center-363437170733154/
Nutritional Resources & Ordering
Beginning Monday, April 6th the following eight "Meals in Motion" sites will be operating-
- Camas Prairie Elementary School
- Cougar Mountain Middle School
- Graham-Kapowsin High School
- North Star Elementary School (re-opening)
- Roy Elementary School
- Shining Mountain Elementary School (re-opening)
- Spanaway Lake High School
- Spanaway Middle School
ORDER your meals here!