20Learn, powered by Schoology
Where Learning Happens │October 19, 2018
Digital Portfolios in Schoology
One of the benefits of Schoology is its portfolio feature. As with any tool, it’s important to know how it works. Let’s look at the features and benefits of Schoology’s portfolios.
Within Schoology, students can create portfolios to showcase their learning. The can add assignments, files, links, and web pages. Students can create as many portfolios as they need. To share, share a private link or download as a zip file.
There are some things to know as you begin to use portfolios. Portfolios are owned by the user and are not linked to any course. There are only two system settings for published portfolios: open to any connection and private. In order to maintain student privacy, student portfolios are not open to public or connection view. This necessitates the student sharing a link. When you begin this journey, walk students through their individual privacy settings for portfolios. For instance, make sure that their portfolios are only visible at the school level.
- Walk through privacy settings with your students as you begin.
- Once students have sent you a link to their portfolio, save the collection of links on an unpublished page in the course if they are just for you to see or published if you intend for them to share their portfolios.
- Have students submit their link in a discussion post if you wish for them to share their portfolios. It is a “View Only” link.
- If connectivity is poor, autosave might not function smoothly.
- Students can reset the sharing link if they feel the need.
- Students do not have to publish their portfolio in order to share a link.
Portfolios are a great tool to showcase student learning. They also empower student voice and choice, develop writing skills, and be sued for self-assessment. Need some ideas and research information? Here are a few resources for you:
- Benefits of Portfolios in the Classroom
- Benefits of Using Portfolios (includes references to additional tools not approved in our district for PII)
- Student Portfolios as an Assessment Tool
- The Pros and Cons of Assessing Students through Portfolios
Check out the video below for for a walk-through of portfolios in Schoology.
Where Are We Now? - The Weekly Update
We have about 260 pilot members at some stage of the Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course! There has been over 330 discussion posts and over 9300 page views. It’s great to see so many people interacting with Schoology!
What you can do:
- Encourage your team members to join the course so that we can learn together!
- Share your favorite features and benefits in the Updates feed.
- Ask questions in the recent updates feed.
- Connect with other educators
- Parents won’t have their own 20Learn accounts during the fall semester.
- Grade passback between Schoology and IC isn’t available this semester.
- We are working on special roles for Resource teachers and paras. If you need temporary advisor capabilities until the technical process has been vetted, please submit a help ticket to email@example.com.
As we make progress with those features we’ll communicate updates.
Keep in mind that we’re at the beginning of a journey. We have a lot of ground to cover and we’re just learning the terrain. Partner with us by participating, asking questions, and providing feedback so that we can continue to grow. That participation is helping us work to meet your needs.
Thank you for being part of a successful launch! Here’s what we’ve seen since school started:
- over 550,000 total visits
- about 8.4 million page views
- over 119,000 files uploaded
- over 136,000 submissions
- over 22,000 comments posted
Communication is key! When something unusual happens, communicate it to your DLC who will reach out to us if they need additional support. We’re happy to help plus we won’t know what to fix or improve unless we hear from you.
There are so many supportive, excited ASD20 staff members that have really helped us make this successful!
As with any new adventure, there are questions and concerns. We'd love to hear them! Submit your questions, comments and concerns, and we'll do our best to address them in the following weekly newsletter.
Learning Services and Digital Integration Services are partnering with Schoology to develop our training program. You will be receiving online and face-to-face learning and support opportunities.
The first Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course will be closing this week. Please send me your hours so that I can start logging them. For those that actively participated, there will be a next steps course. More information will be available soon. For those of you that lurked, which is perfectly fine, you can register for the session of the Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course. More information on both of these professional learning opportunities will be published soon.
Do you need instant support? Schoology has an extensive resource collection to help, too!