CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL September 2018
We are now in our 5th week of school and fall is just around the corner! Please know you play a vital role in your young scholar's success at school and in life. At Cimarron, our aim is to partner with you on this incredible journey of learning.
Our young scholars have come in ready to learn. I hope you will help us celebrate when our young men and young women persevere and stay with things that challenge them. When we struggle, our brain grows. Researchers have known for some time that the brain is like a muscle; that the more you use it, the more it grows. They’ve found that neural connections form and deepen most when we make mistakes doing difficult tasks rather than repeatedly having success with easy ones. Do know “You Can Learn Anything,”even if you haven’t got it, yet.
Thank you for learning with us at Cimarron Middle School.
PICTURE DAY - SEPTEMBER 12
START WITH HELLO WEEK - SEPTEMBER 24-28
Start with Hello is a prevention program that encourages teens to be more socially inclusive and connected to each other. Start with Hello asks students, educators, parents and other community leaders who interact with teens to take steps in class, the lunchroom, and other times in their day to be inclusive and connected.
YOU can Start with Hello in 3 simple steps:
See someone alone
START WITH HELLO
Cimarron will be participating in START WITH HELLO Week September 24-28. We will kick off the week with 8th graders saying Hello and high 5s before school.
Monday, September 24 - Start with Hello, wear green and No One Eats Alone. Students will be encouraged to include others who may be sitting alone during lunch.
Tuesday, September 25 is Start with Hello and SMILE, wear a positive message shirt, maybe one with a Smile Emoji.
Wednesday, September 26 is Start with Hello and a compliment. Students and staff will try to give as many meaningful compliments as possible.
Thursday, September 27 is Start with Hello and be a Lifesaver. We will be handing out Lifesavers to students before school.
Friday, September 28 is Start with Hello and High 5s! The 8th Grade Football team will be High 5ing students before school.
It is going to be a fun week with a great message! Please encourage your kids to try to include others and make some new friends!
If you would like more information you can check out the website at www.startwithhello.com
1:1 CHROMEBOOKS REMINDER
Your student will be responsible for the upkeep of their device. Chromebooks come with a durable cover which will help minimize potential damage, but it does not guarantee damage will not occur. We strongly recommend purchasing the technology protection plan offered by the district for $30. This plan is available for purchase through September 14 and the student's Chromebook must be examined prior to payment.
Please encourage your child to fully charge the device every night at home. The Chromebooks have an 8-10 hour battery, so coming to school with a full charge is necessary. Also, please encourage your student to not leave their Chromebook in their locker over the weekend, but bring it home for charging.
To learn more about the district's Technology plan click here:
CPTO AND PANTHER PRIDE DONATION DRIVE
If you are new to Cimarron, WELCOME! We think Cimarron is the best middle schools in Edmond, with outstanding teachers and enthusiastic parents like you.
Our school participates in a PANTHER PRIDE DONATION DRIVE each fall. We do not sell anything; you simply participate by making a donation to Cimarron PTO. Our CPTO then funds many great projects and events at Cimarron.
Our goal this year is to raise $15,000 and we need YOUR help!
- Set a goal.
- Make a list of family, friends and local businesses that can help you achieve your goal.
- Ask for donations! Cimarron PTO is a 501 (c)3 not for profit organization, which means all donations could be tax-deductible. Contact your personal tax advisor for details!
- Say THANK YOU to each donor!
The PANTHER PRIDE DONATION DRIVE gladly accepts cash, check and credit card contributions. Make checks payable to Cimarron PTO. Credit card contributions must be a minimum of $20.00 and can be made online. Follow the link below. Each donor MUST put the student's name and grade in the comment line in order for the student to get credit. We are using PayPal for these secure donations.
Thank you for your continued support of the Cimarron PTO. Through your generous contributions, we can continue to make great things happen at Cimarron and support our motto of Learning for All!
Heather Selby, President
Amber Loberg, Vice President
Our fall sports are in full swing! Visit our Cimarron website calendar for a schedule of our events for volleyball, softball, cross country and football. Season passes can be purchased at our home athletic events or swing by the office. The cost is $60 for 20 games which is a savings of $40 and can be used all year. Again, we are so proud of our student-athletes and how they represent Cimarron on and off the field!
In remaining consistent with our middle school practice, personal devices will be allowed prior to the first school bell at 7:40 and after the last bell at 2:40.
We recognize that personal devices are part of the everyday world we live in as well as our future, and know the amazing capability that today’s technology brings to our life. We are seeking to increase classroom engagement and reduce outside distractions, and we appreciate your support in this transition. Should a need arise for an urgent message to your child, we will be happy to help with that communication through our office at 405.340.2935.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
Here are a few additional dates to add to your calendar:
September 12 - PICTURE DAY
September 13 - CPTO MEETING @ 8:30 am in Media Center
September 17 - PROFESSIONAL DAY/No School
September 18 - PINK OUT NIGHT @ Volleyball Game
September 24 - 28 - START WITH HELLO Week
September 26 - PIZZA DAY
September 28 - FUN FOOD FRIDAY
October 2 - NATIONAL CUSTODIAN APPRECIATION DAY
October 11 & 15 - PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES (4:30-8:00) - Conversations with your child’s teachers. Come and go, no appointments necessary.
October 12 - FUN FOOD FRIDAY
October 15 - 19 - NATIONAL SCHOOL LUNCH WEEK
October 17 - 19 - FALL BREAK/No School
GOOD TO KNOW
- In the event of a school emergency/situation, Mr. Schmidt will communicate quickly to parents through the SchoolWay app. If you have a smartphone, please download this app: www.myschoolway.com, select Cimarron and set up your device for push notifications.
- If you are having problems with your Parent Portal account, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Panther Pals are parent volunteers helping on a weekly basis in the workroom. Contact the CPTO to sign up!
- Pizza Day is a monthly event during lunch hosted by the CPTO. The money raised benefits Cimarron! The circle of…pizza! $1 per slice / $10 per box, $1 - Drinks
- Fun Food Friday is a twice a month sweet treat fundraiser for students. Everything is $1 and sold during the day by our awesome Panther Parents. Cash/check only!
- Panther Grill is a monthly luncheon for students who are nominated by their teachers for displaying a recognizable positive character trait.
- The Golden Paw/AOK Award Assembly is a monthly grade level assembly to recognize and commend students for exceptional qualities.
- Please continue to collect Box Tops. They all add up to benefit Cimarron Panthers!
- This Panther Prowl newsletter is produced monthly by Cimarron Middle School. If you have submissions, photos or suggestions, please contact Mr. Schmidt’s secretary, Robbi Kinnaird at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you.
CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal Gabe Schmidt
Assistant Principal Carrie Higdon
Assistant Principal Link Lowe
School Hours - 7:50 AM - 2:40 PM
Office Hours - 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM.