Mr. Sterling's 5th Grade Newsletter
Week of May 9
- Spring on the Farm-Henry Breeding Farm: Thursday, May 12th
- Literacy Fair: Saturday, May 14th, 12:00-3:00 - we still need student volunteers to run our booth
- AR Points Goal: due Friday, May 13th
- Passport Book: all 16 boxes filled in - due by Friday, May 13th
- Social Studies: State Research Report due Wednesday, May 18th. Late work will not be accepted as grades are due Thursday, May 19th.
- Last Day of School Field Day: May 25th at Donner Park again this year. Please sign and return the information sheet regarding field day by Friday, May 13th
School will be at Donner Park again this year for the last day of school, May 25th. Please sign and return the information sheet regarding field day by Friday, May 13th. As I was out of the classroom today, the form will be sent home with students tomorrow.
Spring on the Farm
On May 12th, from 9am - 1pm, our class will be visiting the Henry Breeding Farm in Edinburgh. This annual program, presented in partnership with Hauser Junior High School seventh and eighth graders, provides visitors and school children the opportunity to learn about early 20th century agriculture and domestic farm life. The program utilizes hands-on education to teach butter-making, hand tools, weaving, basket making, steam engine use, music and more. Thanks again to everyone that has volunteered for this trip.
Students will need to bring a sack lunch from home unless they ordered a school lunch. The volunteers are free to attend this event, but will need to bring their own lunch; don’t forget! Please dress for outside: no open-toe shoes, dress for the weather, unfortunately umbrellas may be needed! This event is always very interesting and rewarding.
Please check Power School to review your child's grades and check for missing work. Late and redo work will be updated by early next week. Thank you to those students who turned in their late/missing work.
States Research Project
This week, students are putting their finishing touches on their products and creating a bibliography of research resources. The revised due date for the final product is Wednesday, May 18th. Some students will need to do some editing over the weekend in order to meet the deadline.
The annual Bartholomew Reads Literacy Fair will take place on Saturday, May 14th from 12:00-3:00. Our 5th grade students will be creating a booth for the event. The project managers for this event will coordinate student volunteers to help prepare for the event and manage the booth. Please keep May 14th open on your calendars because we will need your help! Our goal is to encourage literacy within our community. This is a free event! If you haven’t attended in the past, please join us this year.
What we will cover this week
- Math: Volumes of Prisms; Unit Conversions Review
- Language Arts: Possessive Pronouns; Poetry; Simile and Metaphor
- Science: Complete Solar System Diorama
- Social Studies: State Research; U.S. Constitution
Passport to Reading: 4th Quarter Product and Presentation
Please also ask your child how they are coming along with filling in their Passport book. They should have a total of sixteen boxes filled in at the end of this fourth quarter. The books should be in the correct genre box. The percentage of the books completed counts as a quiz grade in Reading. They also need to make sure they are taking their AR quizzes in order to meet their quarterly goal. Final passport products were due Friday, May 6th. We will begin to present final products this week.
Passport to Reading 3rd Quarter Final Product Examples
Book Club groups will continue to meet on Thursdays through the last full week of the year. Each group has established a reading schedule that members must follow to ensure they finish the book on time. Please touch base with your child every week to make sure they are reading the proper amount of pages. All books are to be finished by the end of this quarter.
- Weekly Wonders Test: Friday, May 13th
- Spelling / Vocabulary Quiz: Friday, May 13th
- Grammar Quiz: Friday, May 13th