Miss Shorna's Snippets
April 4th-April 8th
Lafayette Aviators-Grand Slam for Reading Program
Last Friday I sent a paper home regarding the Lafayette Aviators-Grand Slam for Reading Program. Your child has an opportunity to earn a FREE ticket to a Lafayette Aviators game this summer. Please refer to the paper with directions on how to earn this free ticket. The "Baseball Diamond Tracker" sheet should be completed and turned in to school on or before May 6th.
Rensselaer Central Primary School will be hosting an Art Show on Thursday, April 14th from 6:00-8:00 PM. All the artwork that is going to be up for purchase has been handmade by each student in the building. Please come to either look at the art or consider purchasing a piece of art. The framed artwork will be $25.00.
Breakfast with Mom or a Special Woman
Please join the kindergartners for breakfast with mom or a special woman on Friday, April 15, 2016 from 7:15-7:45 AM. If you have not done so already, please cut and return the pink RSVP slip by April 7. This paper was sent home in your student's green folder last week. The breakfast and photos cost $2.00. Please send this with your student along with the RSVP pink slip.
We have been working on addition facts in class for a couple of weeks now. To help students have a firm understanding these addition facts, I would like students to practice them at home. My hope is that through practicing these facts at home students will not have as difficult of a time transitioning to subtraction facts. We have learned adding 0, 1, 2, and 3 to a number (0-9) and will soon be working on adding 4 and 5 to a number (0-9) shortly. Thank you for your support!
Thank you for ALL of you that participated in each month's Book It this year. I wanted to let you know that March was the last month of the Book It pages. Although Book It is over, please continue to read with your student on a regular basis. I have seen GREAT growth in all of our student's this year in many areas; especially reading! I think that a large part of this is due to all of you reading with your child. Thank you for continuing to partner with me in your child's educational and personal growth!
Gummy Bear Words
Last week your child brought home a letter and pink list of gummy bear words. Please have your child practice reading these words to you. Once your child has mastered the list, sign the bottom of the list and return it to school in their monkey folder. Then your child will be "tested" at school. If your child successfully completes the list they will receive a pack of gummy bears. Then they will get a new list of sight words to practice. This self paced program is a great way to motivate students and master tricky sight words! Thank you for your support!
Extra "GREEN" Recess
Every Friday afternoon, students that have been on "green" all week will receive an extra 10 minute recess. This is a small incentive for those students who are consistently following all classroom expectations.
Focus for the Week
- Weekly Theme: Frogs
- Weekly Texts: Frogs! (National Geographic), Frogs (MyOn), Can You Say "Ribbit!" (Scholastic News)
- Letter identification & sounds: Vv and Zz
- Reading Skill: Main Idea, Sequencing, Compare and Contrast
- Question of the Week:
- High-Frequency Words: where, come
- Phonics: Beginning and Ending Vv and Zz in CVC words
- Writing: Making a Frogs Informational Book: Students will be learning about the frog life cycle. We will be spending a day on each step of the life cycle through writing a sentence and drawing a picture
- Number 20
- Draw a Picture for Problem Solving
- Look for a Pattern for Problem Solving
- Identify a Sphere
- Ordering Objects by Size
- Sorting Coins
- Comparing Events According to Duration of Time
- Identifying a Quater and a Dollar
- Covering Designs Using Tangrams
- Exploring Slides, Turns, and Flips
- Identifying Largest and Smallest Shapes
- Identifying and Covering Half of a Shape
- Review Adding 0, 1 and 2
- Adding 3