As the book progresses they discover the actual world outside the fence but its not the same life as what we see everyday. This part of the book mainly takes place at the bureau, which is the headquarters of their cities experiment.
- The point of view is 1st person limited. This means the characters are telling the story and they no as much as we do. Also in this book the chapters alternate between Tobias and Tris this is a way of foreshadowing to one characters future.
Tris short for Beatrice is one of the narrators. She a 16 year old girl with no family. Her parents died in the previous books and she has a brother who betrayed her for his own reassurance of safety. Since Tris is a divergent she has many different characteristics. From her birth faction abnegation you can see the selflessness in her that she portrays throughout the book in tough situations. Also from her transfer faction, dauntless you can see her being brave and skilled in the feild physically and mentally.
Another character is Tobias (four) he is the other narrator. Like Tris Tobias has a rough family. Though he has no siblings his parents are both liars and power seekers. In the book they both go against each other to rule the city and you'll see Tobias in many conflicts over them. The only person he has is his girlfriend Tris. But from a lack of family as a child he has trust issues and this will also contribute to conflicts in the book. Because of his dad who beat him to make him stronger Tobias he's to self conscious of everything he does this influences some hasty decisions he made in the book and it makes him hard to understand who he is.
Nita is a GD. She is the girl who had the plan to kill everyone and lead Tobias to believe it was for a goof cause.
Amar is a divergent he faked a death and left the city to go to the bureau. He was Four's old trainer at dauntless. He helps them with the plan and going back into the city.
Cara is will's sister. She is one of the founders of allegiant and went along to the bureau with them.
Evelyn is Four's mom who faked a death when he was little to become the factionless leader. Now she has taken over the city and currently rules.
Marcus is Four's dad. When he was Tobias was little Marcus beat him. Marcus was also the leader of Abnegation and now is siding against his wife with the allegiant.
David is the leader of the bureau.David id the one keeping the experiment going .He is the cause of the climax in the book.
Uriah comes along with them outside the city, he is also a former dauntless. There he is harmed in Nita's attack.
Christina is Tris's best friend. She accompanied them to outside the wall to. She was a Candor who transferred to Dauntless. Christina also helps with the plan to save the city.
Peter also comes to the Bureau with them, although he is not very like by most because of the terrible things he has done to all of them. Throughout the book you can see him regretting his decisions and he changes himself in the end.
Tori is also one who started the allegiant and on her way to escaping the city she was shot.
Caleb is Tris's brother. He betrayed her by sending her to her death, faction before blood. But he tried to make up for it in the end.
She greets them at the fence and knew tris's mom.
- Edith Prior
- Amanda Ritter
Another conflict was Four trying to decide which of his parents to fix in order to regain peace in the city. Either the one who lied to him and didn't help him or the one who beat him and made him self-conscious.
Another conflict between Tris and Four. Their conflict was if he should help Nita because Tris did not trust her but Tobias thought her decisions were blurred.
I hope that she isn't brewing false hope. Pg 109
He still smiles all the time, but now his smiles look like they're made of water, about to drip down his face. Pg 53
Its like the landscape is and interrupted sentence, one side is dangling in the air, unfinished, and the other, a completely different subject. Pg 101
Its strange how a word, a phrase, a sentence, can feel like a blow to the head. Pg 301
The broken buildings in the dauntless sector look like doorways to to other worlds. Pg 69
The photographs move so fast, like book pages fluttering in the wind. Pg 264
We move closer together like sections of a tightened shoelace. Pg 91
My heart throbs like a second heartbeat from the bullet graze. Pg 97
The pavement between them is broken in pieces like a cracked eggshell. Pg 185
I feel like the slightest thing could make me jump right out of my skin. Pg 55
"And now," he says, "we get to walk up a million flight of stairs." Pg 57
After I land, I don't have a second to rest before the walls close in around me, the wood slamming into my spine, and then my head, and then my leg. Pg 70
- I am wearing a gray shirt, blue jeans, black shoes- new clothes, but beneath them, my dauntless tattoos. It is impossible to erase my choices. Especially these. - Tobias This shows how he regrets and is afraid of his past from his dad to being at dauntless. Pg 23
- "Listen I used to think about giving my life for thing, but i didn't understand what 'giving your life' really was until it was right there, about to be taken from me," said, Tris. This shows who she used to be and how she has changed. Pg 28
- The woman turns her face towards the light, and I see that she is Tris. Blood spills over her lips and curls around her chin. Her bloodshot eyes find mine and she wheezes "Help". This is a dream of Tobias, this is foreshadowing that Roth used. Pg 74
- Which is the ability to make sacrifices to the greater good. If we are going to win this fight against GD, if we are going to save the experiments from being shut down, we will need to make sacrifices.- David This is another example of foreshadowing that is important to the plot, not only is he talking about Tris for the future his is talking about himself to. Pg 326
- The reset Procedure, a memory erasing procedure designed to make an experiment participant more fit for the experiment. - This explains what the whole experiment is about. Pg 223
text to world
With a sign over it that says, security check point. I don't understand why they need so much security if they're already protected by two layers of fence, one of which is electrified, and a few layers of guards.- This shows our world and all of our security because of our problems she doesn't get she thinks there should be trust and maybe that should happen.
Because every government I have none has done bad things.- There is always a major war going on in the world with different governments.
And there's alot of crime, which is blamed on the GD's. There are police too, but they can only do so much.- this is like our city only instead of GD's some would say the poor.
text to self
I see the ground stretching beneath us, everything getting smaller by the second. My mouth hangs open and I forget to breathe.- I felt like this the first time on a plane, I wasn't scared only shocked in awe.
Sort of beautiful aren't they? she says. Before I came here I'd never seen a deer.- Its weird because I see a deer everyday by my house and she has never seen one. But it was the same when i went to Florida with all the lizards.
text to text
I am so used to needles that I don't react.- Like in the fault in our stars another book I've read having cancer she is always being tested on and it doesn't bother her.
Christina rests her head on the edge of Uriah's mattress, her slender body collapsing sideways.- Like in Divergent when will her boyfriend dies it could happen again.