It's already Tuesday!

Here's what we did today! (4/22/14)

A few words from the kids (& me, too!)

Isha: HI!!! Today was fun. We woke up @ 4:00 in the morning, and went on a bus, then a train, then another bus to Machu Picchu. We climbed to the top and saw everything theree, including llamas, temples, and other cool stuff. Then we came back. BYE!

Elizabeth: Hello. I'm tired. We woke up at 4 AM... and traveled almost 6 hours during a 17 hour day. We took lots of pictures at Machu Picchu and went up and down lots of steps. It was really pretty. And then we started back. Apparently some truck flipped over in the middle of the street and then our bus driver disappeared... We were supposed to get back at 8-ish instead of 9. Having fun despite slight sleep deprivation (so much for catching up over the break)!

Johanna: Hai. 4:00 in the morning is not fun and I haven't slept yet. We traveled for about 5-6 hours. First, we had a 2 hour bus ride, then a 2 hour train ride, and then more for getting to the actual Machu Picchu. It was a really bumpy ride. Then we had to do those 5-6 hours again right after Machu Picchu. I used up almost all of the memory on my camera. Also, on our bus ride back to the hotel, a large truck flipped over or something and we were just waiting in darkness for about 30 minutes and we started talking about chupacabras. (it is a monster kind of thing, you can search it up). Today was one of the most amazing days. The view was so great and there were so many stars. I could still see Orion, but I also could see a bunch of new constellations I haven't seen before. We are about to eat dinner. I am so, so tired and I must sleep soon. So happy that we get to wake up later tomorrow. zzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzz........

Angela: Today we went to Machu Picchu. There were lots of stairs. We had to be ready by 5 am, and the wake-up call was at 4:15. Machu Picchu looked really cool. I also took lots of pictures. Talk to you soon! :D

Grace: went to machu picchu today...lots, and lots of stairs. had to get up really early. i bought lots of souveniers. i got a gift for rose, and one for isabelle. cusco is really pretty. see you soon!

Sloane: Today we had to wake up at 4:00 in the morning. We took a two-hour bus ride to a train, where we had to take a two-hour train ride. Then we went to Machu Picchu, where there were stairs. SO MANY STAIRS! The view was really pretty. Then we went shopping. I bought souveniers. Cusco is really pretty. Then we took the two-hour bus ride and two-hour train ride back to the hotel. Bye!

Elizabeth: Today we had to wake up at 4 in the morning. We had a 2 hour bus ride and then went on a 2 hour train ride. Then we took a bus to Machu Picchu. It was really pretty, and I took a lot of pictures. There were a lot of stairs. We went shopping after that and I bought a really cool deck of cards with pictures of Peru. Then, we got stuck in the bus on the way back because a really big truck flipped over. I have not gotten a lot of sleep and I am really tired. I miss you a lot! See you soon. Bye!

Will: I got the privilege to wake up super early to go on a two hour bus ride. But that didn't have to be the end! NO! We had to take a bus ride up a windy road. It was totally worth it. We saw a one month old llama. On the way back an old truck just had to break down in front of us and make us late. My friend Gabe and I were starving.Tell Catiline that it has been so peaceful science she is not around.

Gabe: Hola. Hi mom. Hi Dad. Hi Thomas. Just wanted to let you guys know I love you and miss you and that I can't wait to see you. Bye. Just kidding. had an awesome day. Highlights: Machu Picchu, shopping in the market, hanging out, and generally awesome day. Lowlights: None (except for being hungry: bus was caught in traffic because of truck blocking road). Amazing day. Sad to leave Peru soon, but happy to see you guys. Doing just fine all around. Hope you guys are having amazing time as well. Can't wait to see you. Love you guys. Bye

Justin: I woke up very early and was very tired since I got only about 4 hours of sleep. I slept on the 2 hour bus ride to the train station, and on the train I played cards with the 6th grade girls, read a book, and looked at the scenery. Then we got off the train to take another bus to Machu Picchu. It was long. When we got to Machu Picchu I took lots of photos of the mountain Waynapicchu and Machupicchu and the inca ruins. Our tour guide Jacqueline showed us a face on Machu Picchu. It was almost like an optical illusion. We got to learn about all of the temples and the buildings and saw some llamas. Then we have to leave and eat lunch at the train station. After we ate lunch we went shopping for 1 hour and I bought a necklace, a pillow mat of a llama, and a nice big photo of Machu Picchu. Gabriel bought a very soft and warm jacket out of alpaca for only 40 soles. Then we got on the train and the bus and slept the whole way back. Then we ate dinner and came up to Mrs. Gerran's room to write this.

David: Today was a long day. Probably too long. I woke up at 4:15 am which for a normal human is the time you go to sleep. I then fell asleep on the bus. In the train I enjoyed the scenery. We then when to machu pichu. It was wow just wow. I had seen photos of it before but to see it in person was so mind blowing that it is hard to explain. Overall I am having the time of my life. Tomorrow we go to the amazon. I will be off the grid for a few days. Love you my family.

Matthew: HAI MOM! HAI DAD! WE SAW LLAMAS TODAYS AND STURFS! Oh yeah, and the camera ran out of power on the first day. Forgot to tell u. I read both of my books, sooooo yeah. I didn't post yesturduy, so i is posting very longs 2day. YAY! We are going to the amazons tomorrows and it is exciting. Now for the long part: LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Gerrans: as you can tell from the kids, waking up before the crack of dawn was NOT a highlight. However, it was such a joy to see their faces when we got to the city of Machu Picchu & then to the top of Machu Picchu. I can tell you it was simply awe inspiring. We have learned so much about so many things. The trip has been more than I ever expected. One of the kids referred to being off the grid for a couple of days. This is absolutely correct. We will not have internet/phone after 10am tomorrow until approximately 4pm on Friday. The Amazon region is quite remote. We will only have electricity from 5pm-10pm daily! I'm only downloading a few pictures, as it took 1.5 hours last night to give you the few you saw in yesterday's note. Thank you again for sending your children on this most wonderful adventure.

Post Note: we started this at 8:45 with the kids writing their notes. I started downloading the 2 pictures I wanted to send at 10:30. It is now 11:26 & I'm giving up. I will work on filling in the pictures for you tomorrow from the airport before we board to the Amazon.