GEAR UP Happenings
If you have questions please direct them to Laura!
Coming Soon & Ongoing Activities
- Cove Creek & Mabel Trip to Biltmore House & AB Tech--December 11th
- Bethel & Cove Creek College Visit to UNC-Asheville--February 25th
- Mountaineer Mentoring
- Discovery Education Workshops for faculty
- Virtual Job Shadow
- Juntos Program
- YES! program with Justin Hicks
- Discovery Education Field Trip Opportunity
- Summer Camp Opportunities
- Transition Activities
- ***When traveling with GEAR UP Funds please remember you are responsible for turning in a copy of the trip agenda and student/chaperone roster to your school's bookkeeper once you return from the trip!
Mountaineer Mentors @ Lunch
Discovery Education Workshops
- Reserved Workshops (Only for GEAR UP Teachers across our 11 counties)
- Open Workshops (Regular workshop already offered by Discovery Place)
***Important information regarding WCS GEAR UP Policy
- WCS GU will cover the cost of mileage and substitute pay
- Please car pool and use a county car if one is available
- Prior Approval Forms must be signed by Laura Turner and your principal (Please refer to your school's bookkeeper with questions.)
- Participation in these events are dependent on principal approval
- Registration is not guaranteed until you receive a conformation email
Please contact Laura with any questions!
Below you will find an exciting new field trip opportunity provided by the GEAR UP/Discovery Place partnership. Please read carefully, as the details of this trip are slightly different than other trips. ASU GEAR UP is allotted a set number of free tickets; therefore, it is first come, first serve. If you are interested in this opportunity, please act quickly. Obtain permission from your principal, let me know and follow the directions on the link below.
Please contact Laura with questions!
YES! with Justin Hicks
Juntos Program Begins in WCS
November ASU Guide Weekend Recap
Students developed an App designed to help middle school age kids develop Social Skills. "With FAB Find Friends Fast."
TV Station Tour
Students created an App to help individuals with mental illnesses find the appropriate care in their area. "Brainstormers: We will find the spark in you."
A toothbrush designed to help with water conservation. "The brush that saves water. "
A prescription pill dispenser with a timer, reminder and fingerprint scanner. "I only take my pills when it is half past 5."
A bike designed for low income families in inner city areas to provide transportation. With a built in solar powered cooler for trips to the grocery store! "Transportation at its finest"