Old Man Disease
By: Joshua Wagner
Why am I interested in this topic?
I am interested in Alzheimer's because my grandfather has it severely and I wanted to know more about it. Researching about it can help me learn how to help and deal with his disease and hopefully make things easier for him. Research can help others get interested in this disease and try to configure a cure to it and get the awareness out to the people.
- Alzheimer's is a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking, and behavior.
- What happens is brain cells degenerate and then die causing a decline in memory and mental function.
- It is the most common type of dementia, about 60%-80%.
- It gets worse over time.
- There is no current cure.
- 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
In the brain, cells are degenerating and dying causing a steady decline in memory and mental function. The cortex shrivels up, the hippocampus shrinks, and ventricles grow larger.